trying the Dakota fire hole.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Had the opportunity to spend a few hours in longleat forest today with the boys,we thought it would be fun to try a new fire cooking method and decided on the Dakota fire hole method,its a great fire for cooking in a stealthy way as the fire is in a hole so light being emitted is a minimum and when finished with is filled in easily with no visible trace of the fire being left. For those not familiar with the concept you basically dig a small diameter hole about 10 inches deep then at an angle another down to meet it ,this is the breathing hole for the fire,by controlling the air in through this breather you can regulate the burn of the fire.

Heres some pictures:

digging the dakota fire hole. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

clearing the breathing hole on the Dakota fire hole. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

dakota fire hole lit. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

Dakota fire hole roaring. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

dakota fire hole roaring well. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

Ghilli kettle sat atop the Dakota fire hole by fishfish_01, on Flickr

From inside the breather tunnel of the Dakota fire hole. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

cooking atop the Dakota fire hole. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

Lunch cooking on the Dakota fire hole. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

after a brew a chance for a bit of spoon carving sat in my hammock.

rhodadendron spoon. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

view from my hammock. by fishfish_01, on Flickr

thanks for looking.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Nice work Fish.....
I'm a fan too. If you make the second hole just right.....you can feed the fuel in...
e4a9u3yg.jpg

atu8e3ep.jpg

rypy3ure.jpg

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Good for wild camping I'm thinking quite discreet boys look occupied by it ( not sure about the digging equipment lol)

Not sure I can give this a try near me as the ground is dickered in the black stuff but as always the carving looks top

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
And if its large enough.....finish off using it as a ground oven ;)
y7upuhe4.jpg

6u4u8abu.jpg

ge9y5eha.jpg

sy6upa2y.jpg

yrururyb.jpg

yhy6ynyp.jpg

7y6e9ujy.jpg

9ytaze4y.jpg

Mmmmmmm

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'd of thought it would make a decent ground oven once its down to embers?

*Edit* Chiseller beat me to it!

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'd like to have a go at that next time we meet up. Might even dig myself one here in the garden - no peat here! Agree with what Spandit said.

I didn't :(

Surely......

For folk wanting to try such a method as the Dakota fire pit, it is ground dependent, as I'm sure Fish and Chiseller are already aware. By this I mean .....certain ground conditions, especially peat, ash and coal rich soils are not best suited to such a venture. I only mention this as folk who may not be aware to the environmental dangers of such a fire, should proceed only on suitable ground. Not wanting to sound condescending, just hoping that readers are aware, as I'm sure chiseller and fish are :thumbup:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Fish, do you just engrave axe handles like sami engrave sheaths? If so why haven't I done it myself yet?! That looks great:)

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'd of thought it would make a decent ground oven once its down to embers?

*Edit* Chiseller beat me to it!

Works better when you drop the rocks on the embers....re build the fire on top for a while then pull most the rocks out and re lay onto of your meat.

For those unaware....its best to not use pourus or damp rocks for safety reasons.

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Great to see the kids enjoying the experience and learning at the same time Fish.
gud 'elth

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Always wanted to try one at my local haunt as its mostly clay a few inches down. Only problem is the wind starts from the south in the morning, by mid day its anyones guess and in the evening its from north. Thats a lot of holes to be dug so it always puts me off.
Great photos as always fish.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE