Truffles - the restaurant kind

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Truffles - the restaurant kind

What would be typical/ideal growing environments for these? And how could one colonise an area if one wanted with it?

Ideas.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Apparently it took Prince Philip 10 years to successfully grow the prized black truffle on Sandringham estate.

He did it by apparently importing hundreds of hazel and oak saplings impregnated with truffle spores in 2006. So it sounds like it'd be a big undertaking to do it yourself and quite a few years before you might see any results

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Apparently it took Prince Philip 10 years to successfully grow the prized black truffle on Sandringham estate.

He did it by apparently importing hundreds of hazel and oak saplings impregnated with truffle spores in 2006. So it sounds like it'd be a big undertaking to do it yourself and quite a few years before you might see any results

And I assume Morels would be similar.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
And I assume Morels would be similar.
I'd have thought they might be easier to do as they're already native to this country.

Possible dig up the ground (with landowners permission) around the fruiting body after they've spored and transport a large lump to where you'd want to establish them

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Just for interest, I got sent this last night. The show is today, and it’s high season for truffling.

FungI do what they want, you can’t easily make them grow wherever. Mysterious things, sometimes you think it’ll be a great season for mushrooms, warm, wet, and nothing shows. Other times, there are loads.

Best Morels I found were growing in the wood chip in a recently created planting outside the local vets.

Reactions: Poacherman

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
There should be plenty of info online but from my past investigations truffles tend to be grown from trees inoculated with spawn and can take several years to produce anything. Importantly the soil type is important, alkaline if I recall, so not something I can do here on our acidic soil.

In a previous house I mulched a few areas with cheap bark chips and was surprised to discover a crop of morels, probably within a year. We had chalky soil there so I'm not sure if that's important but morels would seem easier to establish.

Quite common to find in towns and cities where areas have been mulched I gather.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I know nothing about truffles but as an ex horticulturalist I know that there is an intimate relationship between root fungus and a tree. I also know that it is very specific, not just to species but to subtle variations in variety. We used to get problems replacing old apple trees. They often suffered “specific replant disease” which many of us put down to the soil biome. I think you will need to import a tree into very similar soil to get results - eventually.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Once they're established, you'll need a pig
tp1.png

or a trained dog to find them. :rolleyes:
so-5871a3b166a4bd0c79f14648-ph0.jpg

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I was given an oak sapling in a pot supposedly with truffle spore in it about 15 years ago (maybe more) - the tree has not grown a great deal so I've not investigated it for truffles :)

Other sapling, planted about the same time, are ten times as big!

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
Just for interest, I got sent this last night. The show is today, and it’s high season for truffling.

FungI do what they want, you can’t easily make them grow wherever. Mysterious things, sometimes you think it’ll be a great season for mushrooms, warm, wet, and nothing shows. Other times, there are loads.

Best Morels I found were growing in the wood chip in a recently created planting outside the local vets.
Morals are very special indeed esp unexpected finds.

Reactions: Nice65

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
The thing about fungi is, it is very difficult even impossible to know what kinds are growing until they fruit.

If they fruit at all.

You may have dozens of edible fungi on your property and never see a single mushroom :|

All you can do is try and create the right conditions, maybe introduce some spores from fruiting fungi...and wait hopefully.

Reactions: TeeDee

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
typing error morels aha.
You can make whats known as a blewitt bomb. You take leaf litter that has had wood blewitt mushrooms in and distribute in a similar environment else where. Ive done a few only this week. I will post the results (if any)
Sorry I cant comment on truffles but the above is interesting I think.

• Love
Reactions: Poacherman

Poacherman

Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Wigan
You can make whats known as a blewitt bomb. You take leaf litter that has had wood blewitt mushrooms in and distribute in a similar environment else where. Ive done a few only this week. I will post the results (if any)
Sorry I cant comment on truffles but the above is interesting I think.
Ok I'm try that wood blewits personally probally my favourite ,love the parma violet aromas.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE