Fungi dominance.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
If one was intentionally trying to colonise a log with some Fungi spore via the dowel method - could one in theory put three different species into one log and there be a chance all THREE species produce 'fruit' ? or does one species colonise and only allows dominance of itself??

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Has anyone come across a 'natural' log that has born more than one type of fruit ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yes, you can have one species take over the log.
Usually though it's an inedible one that has self spored itself onto the log. Turkey tails, etc., are apparently notorious for doing so.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I knew I'd kept a link someplace on mushroom cultivation. I was going to grow oyster ones, but Himself found a tree full of them in the woods just past the end of the street, so didn't bother.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
But can you have TWO?

Sorry Toddy, I think I have always seen One type on a Log , but not Two , which is the real question.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Must admit I didn't know this titbit , which makes timing & preplanning somewhat critical.

2. I cut my logs 6 months ago? Can I inoculate them?

The answer is no. The window of inoculating hardwood logs is anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks after cutting. In cooler climates, some growers cut logs in the fall, stack, and cover them with a tarp to overwinter, then inoculate in the spring. This might not work in hotter climates, as mushroom spores are floating around in the air year round.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Must admit I didn't know this titbit , which makes timing & preplanning somewhat critical.

2. I cut my logs 6 months ago? Can I inoculate them?

The answer is no. The window of inoculating hardwood logs is anywhere from 1 week to 6 weeks after cutting. In cooler climates, some growers cut logs in the fall, stack, and cover them with a tarp to overwinter, then inoculate in the spring. This might not work in hotter climates, as mushroom spores are floating around in the air year round.
That's just a matter of sterilization as long as the log still has some nutrition left in it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
But can you have TWO?

Sorry Toddy, I think I have always seen One type on a Log , but not Two , which is the real question.
Do you deliberately innoculated ?
Fi had a go at oysters and shitaki (sp ?) on one, but the oysters were the only one to come to anything worth having.
No idea whether that was because it dominated the other or because the other wasn't a decent set of plugs :dunno:

I don't think the process is as simple as claimed, tbh. The moisture bit is critical for a decent crop.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
That's just a matter of sterilization as long as the log still has some nutrition left in it.

Are you sure? I mean , completely sure?
If so why would they not labour that point instead.

I must admit I find it strange to consider that there is such a narrow window of opportunity.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Might also the tree the log comes from make a difference?
Some fungi prefer wood from some trees more than others, and some can dominate on particular woods.
So to give an even chance of both fungi fruiting on the same log you'd have to have two fungi who equally favour that piece of wood.

Ultimately, there's only one way to know for sure - give it a go.
I know I, and am I certain others as well, would love to know the results.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Do you deliberately innoculated ?
Fi had a go at oysters and shitaki (sp ?) on one, but the oysters were the only one to come to anything worth having.
No idea whether that was because it dominated the other or because the other wasn't a decent set of plugs :dunno:

I don't think the process is as simple as claimed, tbh. The moisture bit is critical for a decent crop.

Do I mean deliberated inoculcated? - Yes,

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Oyster grows particularly well on Ash, as do cramp balls, but I've not seen any other macro fungus on Ash. So, I think you would be best to find the 'ideal' log for each fungus IMO.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
OK, dumb question perhaps, but, if there is a risk, and it all looks a bit iffy anyway, why not use two logs? :)

Ah, sorry, three logs?

The reason for my question is

There is a Tree that was dropped last year - must have a 4ft diameter at least - probably 30 ft long. Doesn't look like anyone has any intention of breaking it down.

I was considering colonizing it with some spore - when it came to me ordering the spore the option was either a minimum order of Three bags of spore laden dowels. Either Three different species or you could potentially have three bags of the same.

Now IF you could put three different species into the same log and for them to happily colonise and fruit independently - then three times the out put from a single log.

You are right however that I don't need to put all my spore eggs in one basket - it was more a question that arose to my thinking whilst I was considering it.

Have you ever considered experimenting with a little log pile in your own woods Broch?

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
I have a very scant knowledge of Fungi, I can recognise the common types, but that's about all.
Your question TeeDee, set me looking back through old photographs because I remember seeing what I thought, but didn't really investigate, two different types of Fungi on one trunk that was in a pile of felled Chestnut (I think)
I show it here..not claiming that it is what you seek, or indeed it is two different types on the same tree, but it did make me look twice at the time. It may just be the same species at different stages of growth of course.
It's left and right, just visible on the upper log in the photo.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Have you ever considered experimenting with a little log pile in your own woods Broch?

I have a strict 'no introductions' policy towards the wood so I can't introduce new species (shame really, I'd love some Ransoms :)).

Having said that, we have a vast range of fungi already. Oyster often (but not regularly) grow on fallen ash logs and we had Veiled Oyster on a dying field maple last year (delicious!).

Although I do enjoy foraging the edible species, I get a lot of joy finding some of the smaller delicate fungi like the oysterlings, yellow stagshorn, and the green elf cup.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE