Trueways survival knife/tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
On the first post It was said that Parangs dont have full tang's, mine do, heres a picture.
003-9.jpg

Now with a bit of modding to the tang so I can choke up for fine work, that would be my perfect parang.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
It's a 12" blade.
The first one I made the grind did start further up the blade allowing you to choke up.
Given the choice I would want a full tang.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
If I didn't have to go to work and I could make knives all day I would send you one to play with mate.
And I do meen that.

M

Matt1

Very nice Parang you have made there Robevs73 a lot of thought has gone in to that i like a full tang on this type of tool The Full tang handle is much more secure than other parangs i've seen compare this to original parangs used in the South Pacific which rely only on a stick tang that can come flying out of the socket without warning countless other instructors world wide have commented on this.
Traditional parang had a few worrisome specs for me. First off many of the traditional parangs have a rat-tailed tangs. These tangs are heated and bored into the wooden or horn handles, and usually epoxied in. The good ones are pinned into place, but not all of them. Without this pin, the blades are very much in danger of flying out of their handles while in use and becoming very dangerous to those around you.
Again such tangs are can be very thin compared to the robust full tangs seen on many other custom made blades of this type.
Meaning that the thin tangs can break if strenuously used. For the native peoples of the South Pacific, the traditional parang is their lifeline, and they are trained since childhood by there fathers with these tools and how to make them. So it is unlikely that such failures happen often to these blades in their makers' hands as they will no full well it‘s limits.
To honest i prefer having a more substantial tang on these type of tools to protect myself and others around me while i use a tool of this type.

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
here's a quick update.
after speaking with Glyn he has assured me that the failure on my tool was down to a bad batch of heat treating and that another tool has suffered the same problems.
this said there is still a reluctance on trueways side to give a refund three weeks after receiving the faulty tool back.

Hi Folks - It's me again, the maker of the Trueways tool.
Seeing as some other parang makers are seeing fit to leverage this scenario to their advantage, thought it best I step in and share some knowledge :D
(Nothing against the CC tool by the way, looks quite pretty)

Well the Trueways Survival Tool has had quite a reception, hot, cold, even luke warm, as it should be a mixed bag is healthy, and for most of it I have happily sat out of the banter (as it should be...)
However, when a customer is a little peeved I do feel compelled to remedy the situation.

Lupus - Sorry to hear you've had a rough time of it. I sympathize with your plight.
For folks who are interested in the facts, there was indeed a duff batch of heat treated tools, fortunately it has been traced to a very small batch that went to an 'external' heat treat company, and for the none beleivers (Stone them :lmao:) here is some more info:-

The initial plan was to send the near finished blades to an external heat treat company who could do them in large numbers, this would enable us to keep up with demand, we even went with a recommended heat treatment company (Recommended by some well known blade makers too).
In hindsight fortunately, this company increased the price they quoted us three fold....a bit like buying a knife then being invoiced for three times it's ticket price....!!!
Anyway! We ceased using them for any of our work.

As it turns out (and yes it does appear convenient but I have the paperwork) the faulty tools were traced to the above heat treat company (Who shall remain nameless)...as I do not like to bitch about other companies, just me I suppose.

'ALL' blades except for those few mentioned above have, and will continue to be treated in house (Another step in the process which contributes to why we are working like bejeezus to catch up with orders :) )
We are recalling the few blades that were externally heat treated and replacing them, as it should be :cool:

Some of you will have seem me hacking away merrily at some pretty tough wood in a youtube video :rolleyes: to demonstrate the blades are pretty tough themselves.
Indeed! I use one to split all the wood for my woodstove in the workshop.

Hope the above has cleared things up a little, if anyone has questions please feel free to PM me.

Why such a delay getting this resolved.
Timing! Great thing timing, I popped into Trueways new premises on Monday....Trueways have just completed moving the entire contents of their shop plus infrastructure to a new (and very nice) shop premises, no small task believe me, looking at the chaos caused by such an upheaval (phones, internet etc) I can relate to why their can be regrettable delays (No excuse just the facts of the matter).

In any case, if Lupus wants a refund, all the above info is academic he is more than entitled to it and I am confident Trueways agree, however as you have gone to the trouble of geting one of these tools the least we can do is send a replacement tool and perhaps put you on the list for testing a new tool sharpener we are prototyping (If you are interested), this will at least enable you to do the odd review which I believe you enjoy doing ;)

Please let me know what you want to do and we'll sort it.

All the best
Tom

Last edited:

Leonidas

Settler
Oct 13, 2008
Briton
www.mammothblades.com
Re pass around.

Good idea Red, but one I suggested already. :D

Chris had my details and I would have set the passaround up for him. I heard nothing, which suggested a bit of a lack of faith and poor customer service to me. Passarounds are a great idea to get honest views.

Not thought about doing a pass around, but if someone want to manage a pass around and puts the appropriate security measures in place (i.e. recorded delivery :) ) then I am more than happy to have my tool handled by you good folks (ooh missus :lmao: )

If there is interest please let me know...

Regards
Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Might be interesting to combine the two passarounds and let people compare and contrast the two tools :)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm up for a passaround on the Trueways, really want to try that fella out as I'm still on that quest for a decent parang.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you are willing to organise the Trueways one Jon you could pop over when I have my paws on Chris's version....

Cutting comp?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Now we are being spoiled. Which ones do you have Ged?

Er, all of them I think. :)

There's a photo of three in the thread where you expressed an interest in one of them. The four I have are that small one (about 450g if I remember rightly), and three larger ones from about 815g to about 950g. As I said to you the other day I have some definite views about them but I'd rather keep them to myself at the moment so I don't risk influencing anyone with my cock-eyed ideas.

To be honest (apart from one particular feature) I find that there's little to choose between the three larger ones. I've used them to chop up a pile of wood similar to the one in Red's picture and I don't think I'm going to over influence anyone by saying that they're well up for it. :)

I will say now though that the sheaths are pants, and you could seriously hurt yourself without adequate precautions. We can do that later.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
[/QUOTE]Why such a delay getting this resolved.
Timing! Great thing timing, I popped into Trueways new premises on Monday....Trueways have just completed moving the entire contents of their shop plus infrastructure to a new (and very nice) shop premises, no small task believe me, looking at the chaos caused by such an upheaval (phones, internet etc) I can relate to why their can be regrettable delays (No excuse just the facts of the matter).

In any case, if Lupus wants a refund, all the above info is academic he is more than entitled to it and I am confident Trueways agree, however as you have gone to the trouble of geting one of these tools the least we can do is send a replacement tool and perhaps put you on the list for testing a new tool sharpener we are prototyping (If you are interested), this will at least enable you to do the odd review which I believe you enjoy doing ;)

Please let me know what you want to do and we'll sort it.

All the best
Tom[/QUOTE]

tom thanks for the explanation of the delay in sorting out the situation.

i now know that trueways have recently moved premises but this has never in any communication with trueways been given as a reason for delaying a refund. instead i was informed that i would have to weight untill my faulty blade had been inspected to determine what caused it to chip. this to me feels like trueways are implying misuse on my part as it was already known as this point about some badly heat-treated blades.

as for your offer to send me another knife i must say that my trust and confidence in trueways and their suvival tool has been more than shaken a little after everything that's happened over the last two months.

i think i will just have my refund thank you very much.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I really like the look of the trueways tool I may get one myself but I had a lofty Wiseman tool years ago and the handle was awful, far to small in my opinion , how dose the trueways knife handle compare to the lofty knife?
I cant say I like the Chris Cain knife , It look really cheap and nasty, sorry if my oppinion offends fans of this knife but thats just my opinion.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Rob, I've been talking to Tom today and the passaround for the Trueways tool is a go. I'm going to get a thread up and running soon for it, so you can have a play. From what Tom told me about it, it is different from the original Lofty tool in many ways. I'll run it seperately from the Chris Caine passaround, but it would be good to get a few people from that on board too for a comparison. I'm sure Red would be up for that one. Ged has offered us a great alternative too, so all in all, this is gonna be fun.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE