Transporting whole eggs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Yup, Kephart, Volume I page 188-9 discusses eggs, but it just says to freeze them but not how. It mentions that you should poach or fry them too. I haven't read Kephart for a year or so so may start on it again!

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
How about a microwave egg boiler...

541.jpg

072.jpg

http://www.paramountzone.com/boiley-microwave-egg.htm

Prevent it from being crushed atleast :D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
You can get 2 medium sized eggs in the center tube of a toilet roll, which itself is a perfect fit inside a 12cm billy can, though carrying a whole toilet roll for one weekend it a bit OTT.

malcolmc

Forager
Jun 10, 2006
Wiltshire
www.webwessex.co.uk
If you’re looking for an egg for breakfast you could hard boil it before you go. About the same nutritional value as fried but healthier :sigh:. (And yes, I do like fried eggs but frying does use a lot more fuel. If I have a fry-up it's going to be for a main meal.)

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
In december I carried around 8 eggs with me in the rucksack on a 5 day trip, used them on the 3rd and 4th day as breakfast. I had put them in plastic box filled with paper tissues and none of them broke even if I wasn't careful with the rucksack.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The big camping/hiker stores over here carry those plastic egg carriers. The 1/2 and full dozen carriers are pretty standard and easy to find, but the 2 or 3 egg carriers are available. Places like Cabelas, Bass Pro, October Mountain.

I also know some people who buy those 1/2 pint and full pint cartons of pre-scrambled eggs (like the Eggbeaters brand). They are generally in those waxed cardboard containers you see milk in. They just wrap them up well in extra clothing in their pack to help keep them cooler. They are fully pasturized and sealed, so should last several days without full refrigeration. But they are already scrambled. Great for adding into other recipes or making omlets, but not that classic fried egg.

Otherwise, just follow some of the hints already posted - lots of padding inside a hard container. Personally, I pack them along already hard-boiled. A great quick snack, but can also be pealed/sliced and fried. It's a bit different look and taste, but does the trick when you just have-to-have and egg.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
That flower arranging oasis stuff (floral foam?) inside a container, might be good.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
LOL! Americans ;)

I just had to look ...

http://www.eggbeaters.com/index.jsp

... it worries me a bit that it has to advertise that it's made with real eggs :lmao:

Yeah, it gets scary when they have to advertise that they make it out of REAL eggs. It makes you wonder what they really do to those eggs.

I have several uncles that have those egg-factories on their farms, and one uncle that runs an egg-processing factory. Mostly they crack the eggs, and dump them into those huge tanker trucks. They would ship out one of those huge tankers full of "scrambled" raw eggs a week - to a major company for baking (bread, rolls, pastries, cakes). And he developed another line of hard-boiled egg products for restaurants - diced and in slices for the salad bars, and halved for "deviled eggs". Even fried eggs for those egg muffins. All cooked and frozen and shipped out to the restaurants.

But he refused to do those "egg beaters" versions. He just couldn't understand people too lazy or busy to crack and scramble a couple eggs. Plus the container cost more than the eggs inside it.

And now there are also containers of pre-mixed pancakes! Just shake them up, open and pour onto the griddle.

So it goes out in what is considered the REAL world.

Mikey - being grumpy out here in the Hinterlands

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm waiting on the revolution! Pre mixed pancakes and scrambled eggs? What the hell is going on in our society?!

I'm shocked and stunned on that one, they've taken convenience to an all new level, I'd like to say that that level is very low by the way!

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I'm waiting on the revolution! Pre mixed pancakes and scrambled eggs? What the hell is going on in our society?!

I'm shocked and stunned on that one, they've taken convenience to an all new level, I'd like to say that that level is very low by the way!

Still its not as bad as ready peeled oranges, which are then wrapped in plastic.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive not seen those yet.

But I tried the ready mix pancake batter, its vile (or I cant cook pancakes, which is a very real possibility)

i have a spare bottle, PM me if you fancy a go

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
But I tried the ready mix pancake batter, its vile
Have you seen the blueberry one? The "blueberries" are actually artificially flavoured bits of gum... Just appalling, considering how easy it is to mix up a batter and throw in some proper fruit. Ah well, we're all guilty of falling for convenience now and then I guess.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com

Well, then just ponder this. They have made powdered milk for years, and within the last couple years, they have now also come out with pre-cooked bacon! Often marketed as "microwave bacon". But all you have to do is heat it up and eat. Milk, bacon, eggs, pancakes. Sounds yummy ... in theory.

So now you can take all your little "convenience" breakfast items along in bulk form. You don't even have to bring along those packaged meals (MRE's, even those LRP's, C-rats, and K rats for nostalgic old war horses). But ANYTHING still beats those reconstituted and scrambled ... powdered eggs!

But with a little thought and care in packing, you can just decide to bring along REAL food!

So part of my relatives have farms that produce eggs, some run dairy farms, and others run hog farms. Hmmm ... sounds like my breakfast is covered. Although, them relatives expect me to WORK for a meal! The nerve of some of the relatives!

Mikey - out in the Hinterlands - where food grows all around me

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE