Transporting whole eggs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Ok I have done a search without success.
Does anyone have a useful tip or trick for transporting in a rucksack chicken eggs (two or three only max) with a reasonable hope that they will survive until breakfast time.
I'm looking for small size/volume and have not been able to cut down an egg box to suit.
Also tried putting eggs in a nalgene bottle with oats. (I've not been able to get dried eggs yet.)
So answers on a postcard please.

Alan

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Freeze 'em! All you do then is peel the egg shells off of them when you need them, but they may have thawed out by the time you need them. Still, it would work for the next day. Either that or crack them into a waterproof container such as a small nalgene bottle. They'll last a day or two that way in a cool enviornment. Bury the container in the middle of your sleeping bag in your bergan. they'll stay cooler that way in the warmer months.

Dried eggs you can get from tesco, although they are made from intensively farmed chickens' eggs so that may put you off. I know it did me.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I only really use eggs for making things with flour. So what I do is I get an old syrup tin, fill the corners with flour, then put in some eggs, then fill the rest with flour which is secure. When I had to take a lot of them on a trip, I kept them in there boxes and put those boxes in a lunch box to make sure they were safe.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
Spamel - I'll try freezing one as a test.
(I have been unable to get dried egg locally at Tesco, Morrisons, etc.*)
I like egg and ham for breakfast hence my desire to fry rather than scramble.
regards
Alan

* If one of you kind persons would be prepared to get a packet for me and post it I would gladly reimburse.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks Jared
I have one in orange! But I'm after taking two or three as a maximum for an overnight or weekend trip.
The sixer is fine when canoeing as weight/volume is not an issuse.
Alan

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
What about then making some kind of extra shell for it out of something like fibreglass? I was going to suggest dipping them in something like epoxy, but opening them might be troublesome.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
What about then making some kind of extra shell for it out of something like fibreglass? I was going to suggest dipping them in something like epoxy, but opening them might be troublesome.

Perhaps could make a single with kydex maybe?

Two halves bolted?

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I've got a two egg one I used to use. Can't remember where I got it from though. :dunno:
In the past I've seen these in various sizes (including the two egg version) at caravan showrooms. Actually, any retailer aiming for the family camping market, as opposed to the backpacking / mountaineering side of things, tends to have this sort of stuff.

EDIT: Hmm, I thought that Coghlan's made a small size, but their site only lists dozen and half dozen containers.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I use quail eggs. Don't laugh! They are small, true, but they have an incredilby tough inner skin and a hard shell. Even if they do crack they don't leak out. Besides, you can scramle a dozen eggs and not feel guilty about it. Mac

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Coglans do the six egg box as mentioned above, they weigh in at a MASSIVE 1.5oz, still searching for the twin carrier I bought 20 years ago though...

LS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE