Trangia recipes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Your should be able to cook any "one pot" meals it just depands on how much time and fuel you have.
Curry is quick and easy,and its not hard to find space for a little curry paste, i think that patacks(spelling??) do individual packets which you add to onion ,garlic, your veg and / or meat, eat with bread or cook rice first and reheat with boiling water.

Tortilla, egg and potato,can use powdered egg but fresh is best.Just cut the spuds into small cubes so that the boil quickly , then fry till brown in oil or butter. drop in an egg or two,season and bobs your aunt. Try adding chorizo for additional bulk. Great for breakfast.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
2 faves tried and tested this weekend. You need a pukka frying pan like the 27 or 25 model. The Army version just about works.
Ingredients;
1 Tin Tuna,
1 lump of cheese grated then both mixed together (Can be done beforehand),
1 pack of tortillas and butter for frying
Heat the pan and lightly fry the tortilla, cover in grated cheese/tuna mix and fold in half. Fry other side and continue until you're full :)
Add spring onion, sliced jalapenos to the cheese mix if you're adventureous

Now for proper porridge. Overnight soak half a cup of oats, half a cup of water (A good use of left over hot water) and half a cup of milk per person in your pot ready for breakfast. It'll speed things up alot. I add salt, about half a teaspoon but this tends to freak the English. ;)
Cook on a low heat, stir with a blunt wooden stick (a spirtle) continously to stop lumps and eat with sugar or maple syrup for an energy burst.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
twelveboar said:
One of my favourite ways to have pancakes, is to prepare a dry mix as follows:

100g/4oz plain flour
pinch of salt
1 heaped tablespoon dried egg powder
Dried milk powder- enough to make up 1/2 a pint (see side of container)

Where do you get egg powder?

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
anthonyyy said:
twelveboar said:
One of my favourite ways to have pancakes, is to prepare a dry mix as follows:

100g/4oz plain flour
pinch of salt
1 heaped tablespoon dried egg powder
Dried milk powder- enough to make up 1/2 a pint (see side of container)

Where do you get egg powder?

You can get it in the baking section in most Tesco, and I suppose in other leading supermarkets. Be careful to get whole egg as I've seen powdered egg whites before which, obviously, aren't quite the same.

I found a good bannock mix was 200g odd of Tesco Crunchy White Farmhouse Bread mix (flour, yeast, and a few other bits mixed into one) mixed with two big heaped dessert spoons of the powedered egg, and a big handful of sultanas.

Mix to a dough with some lukewarm water until it's sticky and stringy, roll into a ball with the help of a bit more flour, then leave somewhere warm for a few minutes.
Come back, re-knead it properly and then leave to rise for an hour near the fire in an open container covered with a damp towel.
Then transfer to whatever you're cooking the bannock with and bake gently till it goes golden brown. YUMMY!

I was too afraid to try the scrambled egg recipe on the back.

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
ilovemybed said:
anthonyyy said:
I was too afraid to try the scrambled egg recipe on the back.

Strewth! Scrambled, from powder. Doesn't bear thinking about :eek: Although it might be less of a sticky pan-killer than that made from the real thing (when god told someone to invent the frying pan the devil whispered in his other ear and told him about scrambled eggs...).

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Rhodri said:
ilovemybed said:
Strewth! Scrambled, from powder. Doesn't bear thinking about :eek: Although it might be less of a sticky pan-killer than that made from the real thing (when god told someone to invent the frying pan the devil whispered in his other ear and told him about scrambled eggs...).

Indeed. The tub became a casualty of war on my last camping trip, and seeing the scattered bits of powder after they'd absorbed some of the rain water meant I'm never ever going to try that recipe. Not even in emergencies.
puke.gif

(Hope you don't mind me stealing your smiley Pappa... :p )

leon-1

Rhodri said:
Strewth! Scrambled, from powder. Doesn't bear thinking about :eek:

You have obviously never been in the Army, I can still remember seeing a solid yellow lump bigger than an egg sat at the bottom of a pan at breakfast.

3 cheers for the army chef, the only people I ever met who could burn salad and Ice cream:rolleyes:

M

Millbilly

Crikey, Loads of fings to try! All this has given me loads of ideas. Definately gonna give bannock a try, and curry too. Probabley not at the same time though... :) Cheers for all the help guys!

But obviousley, keep the info coming guys... ;)

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
leon-1 said:
You have obviously never been in the Army, I can still remember seeing a solid yellow lump bigger than an egg sat at the bottom of a pan at breakfast.

:D

No I haven't, and I have a healthy digestive system to prove it.

Although I have become partial to 'Biscuits Brown'... Is this a dangerous habit? Should I stop now before it's too late? (Might make a substantial saving on loo paper though...)

Sep 5, 2005
london
I've been experimenting with a trangia-type pot lately. If you use enough oil or butter you can fry things in a shallow puddle, turning frequently, and they don't stick. I wonder if there is a spray-on teflon coating that you could apply.

My favourite camp recipe, by the way, is sultana pancakes (basically flour + milk + a sprinkling of sultanas), cooked in a frying pan and served with lemon juice, or butter and marmite. mmm.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Not quite a teflon coating but those low-calorie pump spray cooking oils are pretty useful. Few squirts is usually enough and helps with the waistline too :rolleyes:

M

Millbilly

Ive heard that theres a plastic mug designed to fit in the mess kit. Anyone know anything about these, or even any sources for 'em in the uk? And if im lucky enough to find one of the stainless kits, can i stick it into my windshiled that i have now, or will i need a new one? Any one know where i can find the stainless kits? Do i really need one? Are they much of an improvement on the ali ones? Any info appreciated! :D

leon-1

MillBilly said:
Ive heard that theres a plastic mug designed to fit in the mess kit. Anyone know anything about these, or even any sources for 'em in the uk? And if im lucky enough to find one of the stainless kits, can i stick it into my windshiled that i have now, or will i need a new one? Any one know where i can find the stainless kits? Do i really need one? Are they much of an improvement on the ali ones? Any info appreciated! :D

One of the members here (bumblebee) may well be able to help you out, drop him a PM.

He is a decent chap and has already organised a group buy on here, the stainless cans are exactly the same size as the normal ones so there should be no problems with the windsheild and you could also ask him about folding cups and Kuksa as well.

leon-1

Carcajou Garou said:
Leon-1, is that another way of saying:
Army cooks death from within :D )

No mate they were working with the medical corps, KILL OR CURE

Eric_Methven said:
Listen, I was in the Army Catering Corps for eighteen years and let me tell you it takes GREAT SKILL to burn ice cream.

Eric

I will actually stand up in the defence of the catering corps after having dropped that little bombshell, we did have some very good chefs, but as with anything else it only takes one numpty in a kitchen to ruin everything. We just had more of them than usual.

Eric that is exactly what one of our better chefs said followed by "I have been trying for years and still can't do it" he also mentioned that his problem was that he never quite could fit the freezer in the oven (He was a BIG guy) and after that he burst out laughing:D

I have also enjoyed some very good meals cooked by the catering corps in a feild kitchen where things ain't easy (they don't let the numpties loose when the tropps are in the field, it could end in tears):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE