TRacking Challenge - Snow Angel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Been a long time since I've put up a tracking challenge - but since BB grabbed a great photo whilst I was out at work, I thought someone might like to interpret the following snow sign

4262900404_ce19e87670_o.jpg

Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Plenty of pheasants around here without doubt - although they aren't much on flying most of the time.

BB tells me there was a Red Kite in the area at the time

I wondered about the territorial flapping too puub - but thats usually multiple wing beats and this looks like one to me?

Red

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
If it was the result of a "Stoop" would there not be evidnce on the ground of the wee beastie being stooped upon?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Get a lot of them prints in the field next door - its a pheasant taking off. I followed the three toed tracks along the fence line for about a hundred yards and then they stop with a print very similar to that. The bit in the middle is from the long tail feathers dragging.

atross

Nomad
Sep 22, 2006
London
Piegon coming in to land, watched them yesterday and then went to have a look at the print, looks very similar

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
If you work out what it is then you could come back when the snow has melted and try and look for the same sort of marks, Id save that photo for IDing in the future BR and I hope you dont mind me taking it for my collection either?

JeroenK

Apr 25, 2009
Deventer, NL
www.peatfreak.com
Pigeon, Pheasant, Red Kite, haha, some help on how big it is (ruler in the photo) would be a big help :)

Just from the looks of it I would also say pheasant, I've seen lots of similar prints. IMO these wings prints are amongst the most beatifull tracks you can find :) Here's sone from me from a recent trip:

2009-12-21_stadslandOssenwaard_003_O.jpg

2009-12-21_stadslandOssenwaard_005_O.jpg

And here my guilty ones:

2009-12-21_stadslandOssenwaard_001_O.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE