Tom Dick and Harry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
For awhile my brother and myself had wanted to go find a local tree with which has some history behind it, so we took the kids out for a walk.

IMG-20140112-WA0005.jpg

It was a nice eerie day as we walked to the tree we were looking for.

IMG-20140112-WA0056.jpg

IMG-20140112-WA0019.jpg

an this was the tree we were looking for.

IMG-20140112-WA0023.jpg

IMG-20140112-WA0043.jpg

The History
The Dunsdon brothers, Tom, Dick and Harry were from Fulbrook which is just outside Burford and part of the Burford Parish, they were also known as "The Burford Highwaymen". The brothers began their life of crime by robbing farmers of stock and money as they travelled to market, they would hide the stolen livestock in the local Wychwood Forest.

They were rumoured to be responsible for robbing the Gloucester to Oxford coach. The oldest brother Dick disappeared after a failed robbery at Tangley Hall, 2 miles outside Burford. The brothers attempted to rob the place but the owners had been tipped off and as Dick put his arm through an opening in the door to remove the bolt the people waiting inside grabbed his arm and tied it to the bolt so that Dick could not pull it back out. Dick shouted to his brothers "cut! cut!" and one of his brothers drew his sword and severed off his arm at the elbow.

As they fled they are rumoured to have gone to the Merrymouth Inn where their requests for help were refused and they then shot the innkeeper and left him for dead. The brothers fled and Dick was never seen or heard of again and is believed to have died of his injuries. Tom and Harry were captured after attending the Burford Whitsuntide Festival in Capps Lodge, after an altercation with a man called William Harding who was shot by Harry in the chest, The landlord and several others apprehended the fugitives and delivered them to the Gloucestershire gaol (jail).

Some weeks later Harding died and the brothers were tried for his murder and convicted. The sentence on these "desperate fellows who had long been a terror to the country where they lived" as the judge summed it up was death by hanging and their bodies to be hung in chains thereafter. Their bodies were hanged from a gibbet tree on the edge of the forest which was once their refuge. This tree is still there today.
Text from http://www.tomdickandharry.co.uk/othertomdickandharrys.html

H, T carved into the tree. (possibly a D below but could not say for sure)
IMG-20140112-WA0033.jpg

The Gibbet Tree - Gibbet Tree, Capp's Lodge, Fulbrook
The Gibbet Tree a couple of miles beyond Burford, near Capp's Lodge, still stands today, gnarled and crooked branches reach out of the old oak like a witch's fingers pointing to the sky.
Gibbet_Tree%2C_Capp%27s_Lodge%2C_Fulbrook_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1447209.jpg

Text from - http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1447209

Kids loved the walk as we found some Geocashe treasure on the way to the Tree.

Last edited:

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
That long treelined path/road looks brilliant. I'd pap myself walking down there in the dark haha. The fog really sets it off. Glad you had fun mate.

Mike

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice wee trip report that, I always enjoy heading somewhere with a bit of history/legend attached. My Dad was full of stories of places as a kid which made the better.

One of my favourite tales was of Neish Island, a small crannog type island on Loch Earn near St. Fillans.

GEOGRAPH LINK

The McNeishes a band of thieves had waylaid the McNabs festive supplies and retreated to their island; feeling safe as they had the only boats on Loch Earn.
The McNabs chief on hearing of this ordered his men to drag boats over the nearby hills and row quietly to the island. Much drinking and revelry was going on inside the building on the island when in the dark night there was a knock at the door.
"Who's there?" called out a McNeish... scared as there should be no-one able to reach the door. "Who would you least like it to be was the reply that came before the door was put in and the McNeishes slaughtered to a man. The waters 'round the island were blood red for days afterwars as the tale is told.
Kind of appealed to a blood thirsty little kid and still does if the truth be told!:eek:

Great pics and an interesting tale, thanks for posting it up.

GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE