Today I ate.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Today I dried Fairy Ring Champingnons (sp?). Thank the gods for rain! I've been keeping my eyes open for them for ages, as my dried stock is really low. A bit of rain and the little darlings appear.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
kaoss said:
Raspberries
Blackberries
Whinberrys
Wood sorrel
Thistle nuts
Thistle nuts?! Is that a local name? maybe the heart of the thistle flower? Not a word I have heard. Whinberries are bilberries?

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Toddy said:
As I thought, thanks Toddy. Only thing with that list is the Huckleberry is the North American genus Gaylussacia sp., as in Huckleberry Finn :) though the names get crossed a lot.

Whinberry is interesting;
\Whin"ber*ry\, n. (Bot.) The English bilberry; -- so called because it grows on moors among the whins, or furze. --Dr. Prior.
source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Whinberry.

Whins or Furze being Gorse (Ulex europaeus).

Any advance on 'Thistle Nuts' ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They're the seed bases at the bottom of the unripe thistle heads :) If you get the right variety, they're good; otherwise they get called the *choke*.
Cheers,
Toddy

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Done a quick search on this site for ash keys, and found some conflicting stuff. What is the best time to pick them and are they worth the effort?? We have loads this year...

j

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Toddy said:
They're the seed bases at the bottom of the unripe thistle heads :) If you get the right variety, they're good; otherwise they get called the *choke*.
Cheers,
Toddy
OK. Another one ticked off, thanks Toddy :) Something like 'arti-choke' heart. Same family as thistle.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Whilst Im here could also tell me (pretty please Toddy!!) do you pick hazelnuts when they're still green and dry/brown them off somewhere warm or do you wait for them to fal off the tree (& risk losing them ALL to the squirrels like I did last year :sadwavey: )

j

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
janiepopps said:
Done a quick search on this site for ash keys, and found some conflicting stuff. What is the best time to pick them and are they worth the effort?? We have loads this year...

j
You can pickle ash keys with white wine vinegar, sugar, water and spices. Apparently they taste a bit like capers,and "are a piquant addition to oily fish and cold cuts of meat". Basically use as a substitute for capers. However, they need to be harvested while still green and tender – bite one to check that it is not too chewy. Too late now I think.

Other uses for Ash Keys and Ash generally;

Ash -(Fraxinus excelsior)

ASHEN KEYS: Wing-like seed chambers of the common ash tree. Pickled ash keys were used like capers, in winter salads. (John Nott, 1726)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
in the past week i have eaten:

wild: raspberries, strawberries, cherrys, brambles, fat hen, thistle hearts, hawthorn leaves (mingin :eek: )

from the farm: mutton, eggs, honey, spuds, chard, rocket, marrow, onions, more raspberries

from the garden: beans, parsnips, spuds, rosemary, mint, horseradish and more rasberries.

i'm actually getting fed up of rasps!!! and can't wait for the mushroom season. last year i had loads of breakfast puffball omelettes at work.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yup - I second that Janiepops.
I was out with the dog this morning and the hedgerow is heavy with hazel nuts (or cobnuts), but all small and green. In the past I have waited for them to drop, then harvested them. TBH they are usually very small compared with shop bought cousins. So pick em green and ripen off or leave them a while ?? Or some other amazing recipe.
The Ash trees are also heavily laden with keys thes year. Never touched these before, so I will give them a nibble. I'm not sure if we have white wine vinegar ? Will cider vinegar do ?
Sloe berries are out in force too. All seems about 6 weeks early IMO ?

Cheers
Rich

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Roving Rich said:
Yup - I second that Janiepops.
I was out with the dog this morning and the hedgerow is heavy with hazel nuts (or cobnuts), but all small and green. In the past I have waited for them to drop, then harvested them. TBH they are usually very small compared with shop bought cousins. So pick em green and ripen off or leave them a while ?? Or some other amazing recipe.
The Ash trees are also heavily laden with keys thes year. Never touched these before, so I will give them a nibble. I'm not sure if we have white wine vinegar ? Will cider vinegar do ?
Sloe berries are out in force too. All seems about 6 weeks early IMO ?

Cheers
Rich
Cider vinegar would be fine Rich. Just make sure the ash keys are still tender or they will taste like wooden bullets ;)

I also noticed the sloe fruit are colouring up early. I usually leave them until the first frosts which improves the texture (softer) and flavour (releases more of the natural sugars and reduces the astringency), especially for sloe gin. But if they start dropping prematurely then grab um! They also have plenty of natural yeast in the bloom on the skin.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Can anyone give us a list of forageables we should be looking out for at this time of year?

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Good Link Moonraker :D
Ummm - just not sure that its all edible ? Holly, Ivy and Rhododendron foliage in the winter ? Sounds more like Christmas decorations to me ?
Cheers
Rich

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Roving Rich said:
Good Link Moonraker :D
Ummm - just not sure that its all edible ? Holly, Ivy and Rhododendron foliage in the winter ? Sounds more like Christmas decorations to me ?
Cheers
Rich
Spot on Rich :) it does highlight these uses with the plant names like;

Holly foliage
The foliage is collected for Christmas decoration. Branches bearing abundant berries are particularly prized. Many people gather their own holly, but there is also a seasonal trade in this resource.

Useful they also list the edible animals for each season too, like squirrels, though not fish for some reason? and it is in no way comprehensive, but still a decent start;

Grey squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)

I have yet to find a comprehensive online 'calendar' for foraging, so if anyone knows of one...

In fact the whole Non-timber forest products in Scotland (NTFPs) web site has interesting information, specifically for Scotland but a lot of the info also applies to the rest of Britain (though note different right to roam and access laws in particular).

This section has a lot of info on sorts of uses, including edible plants;

NTFPs - Non-timber forest products directory

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE