To Approach a Controversial Subject

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I must stress to anyone who thinks I'm being offensive that for a time I lived in both worlds. I can see how vile it sounds to some to force others to do what you want but, as I said in my original post, I have no intention of forcing anyone. I'm really trying not to be offensive at all.

Shaggystu, I realise this and I'll tell you I don't mean it to sound that way.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I think you worry too much about other people. Get on with what you want to do, if others want to join in then they will.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi THOaken,

It's an admirable thought and purpose, though it could be construed as the evangelical teaching of others due to a personal epiphany. Would it maybe be a better use of time getting those who already go out like the crowds of fishermen and party goers surrounding beauty spots and lochs to better treat and respect the environment they are in? (Though good luck with that one and take some body armour!). There have been games to try to encourage this, Bear Grylls did an adventure game that he said was to encourage folk to get out there - not as self aggrandising and to make cash, oh no. But hey he's the Chief Scout and is doing his bit to encourage kids to get out. Though I feel Scouts don't do nearly enough outdoors or campcraft these days.

It's how you link the two. You have to make them seem mutually beneficial or related. LARPing may be a way forward. Heavy gamers playing outside, they go to camps a lot and are often more Daniel Boone than a lot of us on here. Just a thought.

Will think on it more, it would need a lot of effort and you'll be frustrated many times trying to achieve success. Another way to do it would be to become a ranger/outdoor instructor. You'd only be changing lives in small groups at a time but hugely rewarding and a life well spent. Also listen to folks like Ivan, he enthuses folk in a unique way with his fun weekends, blending fun and knowledge. Like this new one the 24 hour RAT PACK Challenge - brilliant idea - teaching by stealth.

ATB,
GB.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
The Scouts are already on the case and they have more money and influence than you. It's a good idea though, which is why the Scouts exist.

I think personally if folk feel they're missin out they'll make up their own minds about it and go about it themselves.

If one thing can put my back up its being told by someone else what I should or shouldn't do or that what I choose to spend my hard earnt cash is a waste.

There are plenty of youth groups that focus on getting kids away from the xbox/ps3 or monitor such as scouts etc.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
The Scouts are already on the case and they have more money and influence than you. It's a good idea though, which is why the Scouts exist.
Yes, I know this also, but I'd like to target those people who are past the point of going to the scouts. Look, let's not turn negative. I know I'm just one person. I don't want to sound like a crusader. Let's just keep it positive and talk about it not from my perspective but from others. You've brought up the scouts. That's good.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
If i were set the challenge or challenged myself, i would cheat! I would talk to my kids and get 6 or so gamers, pay them a small fee, feed them take them to the woods and show em some simple but impressive stuff, remember the first time you fired a spark into a cotton wool ball? And it worked, lots of little bits like that for a couple of hours, finished by marshmallows on a stick!

Make them smile, take loads of photos, show them Bcuk website where you have posted them, and praised writeup.

Let em talk about it, then see how many you have for the next one.

Ivan...

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I think personally if folk feel they're missin out they'll make up their own minds about it and go about it themselves.

If one thing can put my back up its being told by someone else what I should or shouldn't do or that what I choose to spend my hard earnt cash is a waste.

There are plenty of youth groups that focus on getting kids away from the xbox/ps3 or monitor such as scouts etc.
I think that's just it, basically, the bottom line of it. Actually, I'd actually only write to them to encourage to think about the outdoors and then maybe they'd give it a try one day. No force, no degrading speech.

Kong

Forager
Aug 2, 2013
Somerset
I can see why you think this, Kong, but would you say that to conservations and campaigners of other causes? I don't think you would, friend.

I would. I'm very selective in which campaigns I choose to follow and support, campaigns which I'm interested in. Do you ever have the time of day for 'chuggers' or do you let them stop you in the street?

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hi THOaken,

It's an admirable thought and purpose, though it could be construed as the evangelical teaching of others due to a personal epiphany. Would it maybe be a better use of time getting those who already go out like the crowds of fishermen and party goers surrounding beauty spots and lochs to better treat and respect the environment they are in? (Though good luck with that one and take some body armour!). There have been games to try to encourage this, Bear Grylls did an adventure game that he said was to encourage folk to get out there - not as self aggrandising and to make cash, oh no. But hey he's the Chief Scout and is doing his bit to encourage kids to get out. Though I feel Scouts don't do nearly enough outdoors or campcraft these days.

It's how you link the two. You have to make them seem mutually beneficial or related. LARPing may be a way forward. Heavy gamers playing outside, they go to camps a lot and are often more Daniel Boone than a lot of us on here. Just a thought.

Will think on it more, it would need a lot of effort and you'll be frustrated many times trying to achieve success. Another way to do it would be to become a ranger/outdoor instructor. You'd only be changing lives in small groups at a time but hugely rewarding and a life well spent. Also listen to folks like Ivan, he enthuses folk in a unique way with his fun weekends, blending fun and knowledge. Like this new one the 24 hour RAT PACK Challenge - brilliant idea - teaching by stealth.

ATB,
GB.
You make many great points and have given me a lot to think about.

LARPING is really rather great, isn't it? I've never done it, but I can see why people enjoy it.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I must stress to anyone who thinks I'm being offensive that for a time I lived in both worlds. I can see how vile it sounds to some to force others to do what you want but, as I said in my original post, I have no intention of forcing anyone. I'm really trying not to be offensive at all.

Shaggystu, I realise this and I'll tell you I don't mean it to sound that way.

Again, by the time I've read your post and clicked reply you've already edited the damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How you mean to sound, whether you mean to give offense or not, these are not important facts, what matters is that you are causing offence. I think there's a good chance that you have good intentions but I have no real way of knowing that, you could equally just be an offensive little troll who likes getting a rise out of people. In all honesty judging by the tone and content of your posts on here you're a very typical teenage boy who still has a lot of growing up to do, and you have my deepest sympathies, it's the hardest thing I ever did.

Take someone up on an offer to go and spend some time in the woods, in fact sod it, if you can get up to Derbyshire you'd be more than welcome to come and spend some time on one of my permissions. Bushcraft's supposed to fun, try and enjoy it.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I would. I'm very selective in which campaigns I choose to follow and support, campaigns which I'm interested in. Do you ever have the time of day for 'chuggers' or do you let them stop you in the street?

Fair enough. Again, it's all about peoples perspectives and I'm open to all sides.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Again, by the time I've read your post and clicked reply you've already edited the damn thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How you mean to sound, whether you mean to give offense or not, these are not important facts, what matters is that you are causing offence. I think there's a good chance that you have good intentions but I have no real way of knowing that, you could equally just be an offensive little troll who likes getting a rise out of people. In all honesty judging by the tone and content of your posts on here you're a very typical teenage boy who still has a lot of growing up to do, and you have my deepest sympathies, it's the hardest thing I ever did.

Take someone up on an offer to go and spend some time in the woods, in fact sod it, if you can get up to Derbyshire you'd be more than welcome to come and spend some time on one of my permissions. Bushcraft's supposed to fun, try and enjoy it.
I understand, Shaggystu, but really there's no need to go to there. I'm being genuine here, I really don't want this to turn into another negative thread. This is something that's very dear to me and I have a brother who is in the midst of a crippling addiction to games and junk food. I'll say once more that I know how this sounds. Please, respect and calmness is all that's needed here. This thread isn't about me, really, i's about the idea. I hope you understand.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not all gamers stay put in front of a computer, my lad is a very serious gamer (@ £500 for his last graphics card alone) but also gets out camping, more than I can these days. His interests in gaming led to him studying I.T. and getting a job that can fund ALL his hobbies.

Before you go off trying to do this you need to get some experience of the outdoors yourself because people will ask about your background and a few day trips to the woods won't hack it in terms of your credibility. Get off your backside and away from your computer and attend some meetings, gain experience, go on some courses sort of thing.

If you brother needs help get him to see his GP for a referal to a cognitive therapist, they are about on the NHS, my wife is one.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Not all gamers stay put in front of a computer, my lad is a very serious gamer (@ £500 for his last graphics card alone) but also gets out camping, more than I can these days. His interests in gaming led to him studying I.T. and getting a job that can fund ALL his hobbies.

Before you go off trying to do this you need to get some experience of the outdoors yourself because people will ask about your background and a few day trips to the woods won't hack it in terms of your credibility. Get off your backside and away from your computer and attend some meetings, gain experience, go on some courses sort of thing.

Harsh but true, good point Rik :).

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....This is something that's very dear to me and I have a brother who is in the midst of a crippling addiction to games and junk food.....

In that case why don't you and your brother "Take someone up on an offer to go and spend some time in the woods, in fact sod it, if you can get up to Derbyshire you'd be more than welcome to come and spend some time on one of my permissions. Bushcraft's supposed to fun, try and enjoy it."

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)

I only wish for people to think about the outdoors. I'm not targeting people like your son, of course not. It's all well and good that he's combined the two, but I'm talking about the people who haven't found nature at all, Rik.

I'm not talking about Bushcraft either, I'm talking about just an interest in trees and rivers. I've known people who really don't know what trees are for.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Thoaken, I've been involved in our forest school for quite a while now, prior to my arrival and instructing, it was run by a woodland ranger and a high school teacher.
The students were 'forced' (part of the curriculum for the kids struggling academically) to attend by the local schools.
These students weren't engaged in any way. Because it's student lead, there was nothing for the kids to do, they were bored and so were the instructors. They weren't allowed sharps (behavioural problems) and could only watch a fire being lit.
They basically didn't enjoy it, outdoors, in nature or not.

I replaced the high school teacher.
Since then, the kids have been given more responsibility. They now carve tent pegs, tri sticks, spoons and a spot of bow tillering thanks to volunteers who demonstrate on several days.
The kids are transformed. They are eager to come, and a fully engaged.

It's all about engaging with the kids, speaking on their level. You can't judge them on appearance or reputation, just be right with them.

Several times I've been down the woods and come across youths trying to burn rubbish. I used to scare them away. I now sit with them, chat and most of the time these same youths will turn up to our woodland events cause what o told them sounded interesting.
They can be from all walks of life, but once their bravado had gone, they do and will listen if they respect you.

What I'm getting at is if you want this to happen, find a way of getting these youths together, have a chat, explain what you can offer and let them decide what they want to do. If they only spend an hour a week more outdoors, then you've made a difference. Don't try to make them put their joy sticks away forever.

Best of luck with what your doing.

Steve

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I have a brother who is in the midst of a crippling addiction to games and junk food.

Is this your assessment of your brother or a professional opinion?
I have a mate who books several days off every time a new game he plays comes out (halo possibly? )
To me thats not healthy but to him it's fine.
He doesn't understand why I would want to be out in minus fifteen temps with minimal kit.
But we respect each others hobbies. And agree to differ on those parts.

Makin sweeping judgements about whats best for other folk never works out that well

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE