Tipi thoughts/reviews

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Hi all hoping for a little help making the final decision on a tipi, ive searched and searched and basically can find no real reviews of anything but tentipi's i'd like something cheaper if possible so has any one any experience of:

Bison (i see there was a group buy here)
Helsport
Kifaru (think i spelt it right!?)

Think thats the three main types ive found other than tentipi, all cheaper but are they as capable?

My new tent must match this criteria...

Waterproof very! (it rains too much in the UK!)
Minimal if any condensation
Capability of having a stove
Capability of having or have included a groundsheet
Single pole
Sleep 2-4 on regular basis

Basically if people could give pros and cons of any of the above makes or others so i can make a final decision, tent will be used in the UK at least a week a month sometimes for longer stints, all year round. Mrs wont go in unless it has a groundsheet.. (women :rolleyes: !) and to keep her happy having it sealable against bugs would be nice! I guess all the manufactuers make something close to what im after but would like to hear some real world reviews. My major concern is the condensation issues being in most cases a single layer. Should probally have said weight isn't an issue and would prefer canvas over other materials.
Any links, prices etc appreciated.. especially in english!
Cheers Joe

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Hi Joe,
Still waiting for the Bison (they've had trouble getting their stock delivered), but should get my tent early new year.
I had a good look at all the tipis on the market and this one seemed to offer the best value for money. If i'd won the lottery i probably would go for a tentipi one but seeing as they cost more than both my cars cost me...
The bison does seem to be well made and in polycotton, so less of a fire risk with an open fire.
Have promised to do a review when i get mine.
Leo

Calypso

Jun 24, 2005
Northumberland
Hi,
I use a Kifaru 4 and 8 man, with stove.

Excellent bit of kit and would be happy buying the same again. However, it doesn't meet all your criteria.

Pros-
Strong, stands up to really strong winds.
-Lightweight, really good stove and chimney.
-Single pole
-Very waterproof. You get some seem sealant with it too.

Cons-
-Can have lots of condensation, especially in winter or when cooking on the stove. I think they now make a liner which should eliminate this but mine haven't got one.
-Mine has no groundsheet. I personally think this is an advantage as you don't have to strip off as you enter in bad weather, and can leave your boots on etc. We just spread standard groundsheets around the 'living area' leaving the doorway and wood pile area free.

Our 4 man sleeps 2 comfortably, but is a bit tight for 4 people to 'live' in. 4 can comfortably spend the evening and (maybe) sleep in it. We've upgraded to the 8 man which is great - loads of room for 4 people. I might even consider the 12 man if there were to be 4 people living in it for extended periods.

I hope this helps. Get back to me if you have more questions.

Joethefish

Tenderfoot
Dec 8, 2006
Warwick, Midlads UK
Thanks for that,
The condensation issue, and the groundsheet one to be honest are not issues with me nut the better half.. as im sure many have found! Although obviously condensation sucks if all your kit gets wet!
Im defianately edging the bison way i think but am waiting on hearing some reviews, and yeah a tent tipi wouild rock but it costs more than my 110 did.
Anyway on a similar subject, been looking on forign websites.. what currency is Fr (quoted in front of price?)
Cheers
Joe

antwerpman

Apr 29, 2006
belgium
I have a cotton polyester tentipi and never had any serious condensation problems , so I suppose the Bison tent will be ok for that as well. If you use a groundsheet you need to buy one that can be opened partially if you want to use a tentstove. Like Calypso I prefer not to use one because it 's easier to walk in and out with bad weather and it would bother me with the tentstove.
In the summertime with hot weather you can open the top for ventilation and you will notice that flies automatically leave through it because of the draft. Bugs were never a problem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE