Tiny Frogs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ruvio

Nomad
So the missus and I went for a wander in some damp woods today.
There were quite literally thousands of frogs no more than sort of 3 cm long. Looked vaguely similar to a pool frog but weren't near...a pool

Any ideas anyone?

Btw, good to be back

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the time when the tadpoles have all turned and they leave the ponds to go wandering. They can cover a road up here with the numbers of them that come out of one of the ponds. Many will only return to the ponds to breed.
Cute wee things :)

cheers,
M

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Baby frogs out for an explore. I've seen it a few times where there was so many it almost looked like the ground was moving and it takes ages to navigate through them without stepping on any. Amazing thing to see though.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
When I was a child we had a medium-sized frog-pond in our overgrown garden. The house next door had a swimming pool, and every spring a handful of frogs would end up in the swimming pool and I would go round and rescue them when the pool was being prepared for use. Then one year our neighbours stayed in Spain for the spring and the swimming pool was just left. When the cover was eventually taken off in May, the whole swimming pool was swarming with the biggest tadpoles I've ever seen. Tadpoles need to eat meat before they will turn into froglets. If there are no predators (fish) to eat them then what normally happens is they run out of greenery (algae) to eat, and run out space, and they then turn cannibal - the bigger ones eat the smaller ones. But in this case they had a whole swimming pool to play in and they ran out of neither space nor food, so they just kept getting bigger. Anyway...the pool had to be cleared and I spent the day rescuing all of these monster tadpoles, which I put in our frog-pond with a few rashers of bacon. Then in the space of about three days, they all turned into froglets. Thousands of them. If I'd deliberately set up a breeding program to repopulate the whole valley with frogs, I could not have done a better job. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE