tinned butter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Buying a tin of butter would be false economy wouldn't it? Once you've opened you'd need to use it all. How about a compromise? Hotels and B&B do those single serving butter packets, some are wrapped in foil but others are in wee plastic tubs with a foil tear off lid. Would they be better?

For back packing it would but for a static camp it would be fine and of course essential in your end of the world supplies. I can happily use a bit of oil instead of butter, olive oil and bread is great, rub garlic and fresh tomato on too :) As Ian said a small baked bean can with plastic lid will do the job short term.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Buying a tin of butter would be false economy wouldn't it? Once you've opened you'd need to use it all. How about a compromise? Hotels and B&B do those single serving butter packets, some are wrapped in foil but others are in wee plastic tubs with a foil tear off lid. Would they be better?

The tub ones work well.

The butter preservation I mentioned before works too, as you only take out a cube at a time and as long as the rest is left covered with the salt solution it stores.

ATB
Ness :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...I can happily use a bit of oil instead of butter, olive oil and bread is great, rub garlic and fresh tomato on too :) ...

+1 on this. Olive oil & a bit of garlic (fresh, dried, or powdered) before toasting. Or just dip fresh bread in olive oil and herbs.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
choose your favorite booking appointments and meet up with total enjoyment

I spy with my little eye, someyhing beginning with spam

SuperSpam.jpg

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I have a dose of these put by:

http://www.burrodepaoli.it/burro-tradizionale-barattolo250_eng.htm

Which I bought in my local Waitrose a few years ago. Waitrose don't sell them any more and when I contacted Burro De Paoli they told me that they don't export to the UK any more but the tins are freely available in Italian supermarkets. I did not explore the possibility of a personal import of a pallet or two. Perhaps someone else will?

I also have a dozen or so of the Kraft tinned cheese from Tesco but they took it off their availability list over a year ago so not available in the UK again.

In the far past I have used Primula cheese in tubes as a butter substitute and it stores very well BUT this was 'ambient store Primula' not 'chill store Primula' . According to Kavli Ltd it is still available but I have failed to find any for the last couple of years and they won't tell me who they sell to. You can identify it as the top of the tube does not have a colour flash like these. The 'chill store' stuff goes off quite quickly in a cupboard, don't bother trying.

http://www.primula.co.uk/our_range.html

Last edited:

Thenihilist

Nomad
Oct 3, 2011
Fife, Scotland
In all the time i was at college i dont think we ever kept butter in the fridge it was always just left on the bunker, i dont recall anyone being ill and it tasted fine.

After leaving college last year i leave butter out for weeks at a time with no detrimental effects.

I just use the butter thats sold in shops, lurpak etc

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
hi all
just wondering if anyone knew if there is such a thing as tinned butter or some type of butter with a long shelf life that dont have to be stored ina fridge to remain fresh!!!
just asking cos its something I would love to add into my rat packs or take with me when im out and about......
any help much appreciated....
cheers all................

When I'm on the move in warmer climes I carry a small sigg 250ml bottle filled with olive oil which I use instead of butter. :)

gliderrider

Forager
Oct 26, 2011
Derbyshire, UK
Besides, if you have a bunker, yoiu'll find R Le Ermey somewhere wanting to blow it up just becasue he can see it.

Shackleton took canned pemmican with him on the imperial trans ant artic expedition, which is apparently still edible, maybe the british museum/ RGS will let you have some.

Other than that, when I'm of a mind I use a 3"X4"X1/2" tupperware container for normal butter, keeps well enough for a couple of ays. Wouldnt want to store it like that long term though.

Edit:
US MRE's have a sachet of butter in them IIRC, maybe you can buy the accsesorys pack seperate.

The US Site internet grocer has canned butter, dont know if theey will ship internationally though.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
"The US Site internet grocer has canned butter, dont know if theey will ship internationally though" They will but shipping is really high, much cheaper to buy from the German site who have a flat rate for shipping regardless of how big or small the order is.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
if you want to keep butter for a long time its easy to prep yourself, just get some normal butter (not marge it has to be butter) and a glass jar with good fitting lid...

take said butter and heat in a pan on the lowest heat possibleso it melts very slowly, DO NOT stir the pan AT ALL.... when all melted pour the butter into another pan VERY VERY slowly, there should be a milkey water in the bottom of the pan, the idea is to keep this in the old pan, its basicly water salt and crud from the butter.

when you have tipped all the butter into the other pan throw the milkey water away, its no good for this, you could keep it though and put it into your cooking etc etc.

ok now the "good" butter that should if still warm be clear, this is basicly "Gee", heat this butter on a full heat untill no bubbeling are left, thats the lsat of the water being boiled off, heat it nice and hot, if it starts to burn remove from the heat straight away..

meanwhile, take your jar and wash in warm water, then in hot water, rince well with hot water, while thats happening boil the kettle, once the final rince is done will it up with the boiling water, place the lid on top and turn it upside down in the sink, this makes sure the lid is sterile...

now when the butter is ready empty the jar, make sure all the water is out and the jar is still hot, tip the butter in and place the lid on straight away, leave it on the side to cool, this will cause a vacume as it cools sealing the jar....

jobs a fish, butter for years to come.... and it cost nothing but some time an old jar and a packet or 2 of butter...:):):):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE