tinned butter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

blackfeather

Settler
Jun 13, 2010
west yorkshire
hi all
just wondering if anyone knew if there is such a thing as tinned butter or some type of butter with a long shelf life that dont have to be stored ina fridge to remain fresh!!!
just asking cos its something I would love to add into my rat packs or take with me when im out and about......
any help much appreciated....
cheers all................

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I think tinned butter is still to be had but IIRC its an expensive way to buy it. I take butter in ether a screw-top jar or a small tin( a small beanz tin, say) with a snap-on plastic lid.

Oct 3, 2011
Essex
hi all
just wondering if anyone knew if there is such a thing as tinned butter or some type of butter with a long shelf life that dont have to be stored ina fridge to remain fresh!!!
just asking cos its something I would love to add into my rat packs or take with me when im out and about......
any help much appreciated....
cheers all................

I've been looking for ages can't find any in the UK, I'm going to try Ghee see what it's like.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tins of ghee in Tesco are about as cheap as it gets normally. B&M's had some in not long ago though and that was even cheaper. In cold weather the stuff is solid enough to be used like a slightly runny spread. In the heat, best think of it as oil.

There used to be stuff from the Common Market called 'cooking butter'. It was very cheap, produced from the butter mountain, was supposed to be handed out only to the 'poor' ( in case it depressed the market for ordinary butter) but for some reason some of it ended up available in the old Safeways supermarkets. It was very good for baking. No idea what they did to it but it didn't need refridgerated the way butter does to stop it going rancid.

I can't see why butter can't be 'canned' the way the goosefat is though. Be handy if we could do it in lightweight tins like the Vege patés :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No, but you can bottle it if you are brave enough...I have and its great after two years unrefrigerated. Get it wrong though and botulism rears its ugly head

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

The postage is flat rate and good value.

I did contact an Australian packer and asked about UK suppliers but they replied no one in the UK distributed it. In the 70's Lurpak sold 1lb tins but stopped in the 80's.

Some of the bigger Tesco stores were selling canned cheese made by Kraft, next time I'm in the Merthyr store I'll check.

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
There is also an old-fashioned way of keeping butter in salted water.

Cut butter into cubes, sterilise containers that have a tight closing lid. Boil water and add 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per cup of water. Let the saltwater cool. Pack cubes of butter loosely into the sterilised containers and cover with saltwater up to the rim. Cover and keep in a dark place.

Havent tested how long it keeps myself, but it is meant to last well for several months.

Cheers
Ness :)

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
The method that v-ness describes is similar to that used by some of the ocean voyagers in the late 40's and 1950's, Butter kept in salt. I've got a recipe somewhere in a book but it's stowed away, not aboard. I'll have a hunt for it next time I'm ashore.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've not done this but I'm told you may get tinned butter in the UK from marine stores who sometimes sell long shelf life food for the sailor chappies.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Here you are Blackfeather, found this in a book that I have got on board. Part of an article by the late Susan Hiscock an ocean voyager of renown.
" For a long passage it is worth salting fresh butter which will then keep for several months. Buy firm salted butter, sterlize some jars (jam jars will do) and when they are cool press the butter firmly with a knife to within 1 Centimetre of the top and then fill up with dry salt and screw on the lid"
She also details methods of preserving meat and gives various advice on diet and recipes for voyagers making long passages in small vessels before the advent of practical and affordable refrigeration in yachts.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Alternatively, pack the butter in an oak tub and burry in your local bog. That should keep it fresh for a few thousand years... I kid ye not. Just google 'Bog Butter'.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Buying a tin of butter would be false economy wouldn't it? Once you've opened you'd need to use it all. How about a compromise? Hotels and B&B do those single serving butter packets, some are wrapped in foil but others are in wee plastic tubs with a foil tear off lid. Would they be better?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE