Ticks! Removing them. The right ways, the wrong ways

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I have removed them before with multi-tool pliers...reading about the juices now I realise I shouldn't have done it...Well, live and learn. I won't be doing it like that next time.

They're very partial to the tender meat on my belly and obliques, so I'll be digging out some nice pointy pliers for my Summer trip this year.

Last edited:

Urban X

Nomad
Apr 6, 2012
Thanet, Kent

I actually made one of those from an old debit card when the ferret got a tick behind the ear, we didn't have a proper tool at the time and having read up I came across that design and just used a small pair of scissors, worked perfectly. I didn't keep it after we got the removal tools but should have, be perfect for the wallet, and who goes anywhere without a wallet/card holder?

Si

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know that's a very good idea :D The older I get it's not just a thimble that's always to hand :sigh:
I think careful practice before hand might be in order though, the blooming ticks hang on tight.

cheers,
M

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Would one of those needle threader things work? i.e. the one that you get in packs of needles. They look very like some of the gadgets illustated on this thread. They are small and wallet friendly (in both senses ).

Maybe, but not in the same way. The loop on the gadget is a little retractable lasso for getting agrip on the little beggar

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I have the lidl first aid kit with the plastic gripper type tool. I prefer the swan neck type as the tick comes off alive and as long as you slowly turn it they always work. I removed on two weeks ago. No marks left at all, no symptoms etc. I always keep the tick once removed, write the date on a wee plastic bottle eg smoothie bottle. Then keep it away for a few months just in case.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
WOW! I'd have trouble doing that (keeping them I mean) I remove somewhere around a dozen or so from myself each year and at least double that from the dogs. Once when I was a teenager my cousin and I found her dog unable to move. Upon examination we discovered she was literally covered in ticks (she was a long haired dog and they didn't become evident untill they were engorged) I carried her home and we built a fire to throw the ticks in as we pulled them off with our fingers (that was the way we removed ticks back then, and usually still is) After a day of rest and plenty of fluids the dog recovered just fine. Apparently she hadn't contracted any illness; just low blood from so many of then on her. We must have pulled 50-80 ticks off her that day.

So far this year I've gotten 2 a day off my current 2 dogs.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One of my cats seemed to find somewhere that was hoaching with ticks :sigh: I too used to pull them off with my fingers. Great big engorged, almost black, pea shaped ticks that he seemed to end up with behind his ears and at the ruff of his neck. The cat was never up nor down, and sat patiently while I removed the blasted thngs.
Nowadays I'd try the tick twister, but I wonder how easy that'd be among all that fur ? I have long hair, it hurts when someone combs it badly, imagine that for a cat or dog :(

I do see what SCR means about saving them, but I admit I just crack them and dispose......there aren't enough wee bottles for the numbers that come off folks sometimes, especially when camping or hiking and having to carry everything.

I'm still hoping that the anti-biotic wipes will come on the market. The reckoning was that by attacking any potential problem at source that it would never develop into Lymes or boreolis of any variety.

cheers,
Toddy

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Maybe it would be good for people who notice larger tick populations where before there wasn't a problem to keep one they remove and email BADA to help track the bloom.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Bought two (one small one big) Tom'o twister last night at the local vets. Paid €4.22 for the pack of two. Hopefully I'll never have to use them, disgusting icky things!! :yuck: You'd have thought by now someone would have passed a law making ticks illegal.

Nah. If they mede them illegal every would want one and somebody would start smuggling them.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
One of my cats seemed to find somewhere that was hoaching with ticks :sigh: I too used to pull them off with my fingers. Great big engorged, almost black, pea shaped ticks that he seemed to end up with behind his ears and at the ruff of his neck. The cat was never up nor down, and sat patiently while I removed the blasted thngs.
Nowadays I'd try the tick twister, but I wonder how easy that'd be among all that fur ? I have long hair, it hurts when someone combs it badly, imagine that for a cat or dog :(

I do see what SCR means about saving them, but I admit I just crack them and dispose......there aren't enough wee bottles for the numbers that come off folks sometimes, especially when camping or hiking and having to carry everything.

I'm still hoping that the anti-biotic wipes will come on the market. The reckoning was that by attacking any potential problem at source that it would never develop into Lymes or boreolis of any variety.

cheers,
Toddy

I found three on my dog after a recent trip to Dorset and used the twister to remove them. He has quite a dense coat and I found it easy enough and painless for him.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I pulled about 15 off each of my 2 dogs a few minutes ago. I've been averaging that every day for a couple of weeks now. Hopefully it'll get better Friday when the exterminator has come and gone. that and I should see the vet about a flea & tick regimun; I stopped because the pills were so expensive but as bad as my yard is this year I need to start again.

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
Looking at the card tick remover thing - I came to thinking that if Toddy wants a titanium version - surely a titanium pry bar would work in just the same way? ;-)

Not a recommendation I hasten to add - honestly - no... really! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE