Ticks! Removing them. The right ways, the wrong ways

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
So I would opt for some pointy tweezers or a tick removal tool to grab the tick as close to the skin as possible and to steadily pull the tick out so not to injure or stress the tick into regurgitating it's meal and any nasty infective organisms that it may be carrying.

Yet, recently I have head someone mention a cotton wool and soap trick where they suggest swabbing the tick with the soapy cotton wool ball for a few seconds and the tick will apparently back out and bugger off.... but of course this is contrary to what is stated by BADA and the end of the note said:
"Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this
would be damaging in any way.​
"
Unless of course it is damaging to the tick and the tick vomits as a result!

So, I thought i'd post a thread to ask about the 2 safe methods and any other methods people have heard of which may or may not be safe, and if anyone has any information on these 'alternative' methods in regards to research into them to determine their effectiveness at removing the tick safely then that would be ace.

Anyway, keep your wits about you and look out for those nasty critters after your blood! Muwuhahaha! :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I would ONLY stick to what BADA state as best method, they have done the research, they have found the best methods.

Bada correct tick removal

Correct Tick Removal

How a tick is removed is extremely important. Incorrect removal can result in:

• The tick's mouth parts being left behind in the skin.

• Compression of the tick's abdomen.

• Puncture of the tick's body.

• Injury and stress to the tick.
These in turn can result in localised infection from foreign bodies and the introduction of infective organisms from the tick's stomach contents and saliva.
Leaving behind the tick's mouth parts can result in septic abscesses which, in severe cases, can lead to septicaemia.
Compressing the tick's abdomen can cause its stomach contents to be squeezed back into the blood stream of its host.
Puncturing the body of the tick can spill its stomach contents, which may contain infective organisms.
Causing injury or stress to the tick can result in it regurgitating the blood meal that it has ingested. This may contain infective organisms and result in the host contracting a serious infection/s.
Stress to the tick can result from applying solutions such as alcohol, aftershave, oils / butter, paraffin or petroleum jelly. It can also result from applying a freezing agent or burning the tick with a cigarette, lighter, or match head.
These methods might be successful in getting a tick to release its grip, but they can also significantly increase the chances of disease transmission.

There are only two safe ways to remove an attached tick:

The best way to avoid contracting a tick-borne disease is to avoid tick attachment in the first place. For simple preventative measures, see our Top Ten Tips, and to keep pets safe, see our Tick Prevention page.

Taken from the BADA site,

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I tell you though, the price for a pack of two wee tick remover tools is extortionate.

Mass production is a brilliant thing in some instances, and if those tick hooks were cheaper then folks would buy more and keep them to hand in every outdoor jacket.

Wonder who'll make the first titanium keyring one ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
tools_thm.jpg
http://www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk/

Your main aims are to remove the tick promptly, to remove all parts of the tick’s body and to prevent it releasing additional saliva or regurgitating its stomach contents into your bite wound.
DO use a proprietary tick removal tool* (available from this website or many vets and pet shops), and follow the instructions provided. Two common types of removal tool available are illustrated on this page.
These tools will grip the head of the tick without squashing the body.
removaltools600-300x117.jpg

removal_1.gif
* Alternative Methods : With pointed tweezers grasp the tick as close to the skin as
possible without squeezing the tick’s body, pull the tick out without twisting – there may be considerable resistance.​
Illustrations are for general guidance and do not represent any particular species.
If no tools are available, rather than delay use a cotton thread. Tie a single loop of cotton around the tick’s mouthparts, as close to the skin as possible, then pull gently upwards and outwards.
DO start by cleansing the tweezers with antiseptic. After tick removal, cleanse the bite site and the tweezers with antiseptic.
DO wash hands thoroughly afterwards.
DO save the tick in a container in case a doctor asks for evidence that you have been bitten (label it with date and location). The Health Protection Agency is currently running a scheme to investigate ticks, details are available here.
DO NOT squeeze or twist the body of the tick, as this may cause the head and body to separate, leaving the head embedded in your skin.
DO NOT use your fingernails to remove a tick. Infection can enter via any breaks in your skin, e.g. close to the fingernail.
DO NOT crush the tick’s body, as this may cause it to regurgitate its infected stomach contents into the bite wound.
DO NOT try to burn the tick off, apply petroleum jelly, nail polish or any other chemical. Any of these methods can cause discomfort to the tick, resulting in regurgitation, or saliva release.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Good, so I am not incorrect :) I replied to the person suggesting the safe BADA methods but wanted to check I wasn't missing anything. I was looking at their post from a tick point of view thinking... I'm not sure it'd want to be rubbed with soap!

I also have a set of the O'Tom Tick Twisters.

I also posted to say to always keep an eye out for a bulleye/target rash and any flu-like symptoms. If so, get to the doctor for some antibiotics.

I just wanted to check I gave the right advice! :)

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Oh Toddy!!

I like the suggestion for when no tools are available.

A piece of cotton tied around the ticks mouthparts. I guess you can just get a length of cotton from your socks :) lash it around the mouthparts and pull upwards (but keep both ends of the thread so the lashing will tighten rather than slip), or tie some sort of slipknot style knot in the cotton to help keep it tight and stop it moving. Not sure how easy a slipknot will be in a tiny cotton thread... Good job the ticks are out in warmer weather so we won't have to try that when it's cold and our fingers are hindered!

I tell you though, the price for a pack of two wee tick remover tools is extortionate.

Mass production is a brilliant thing in some instances, and if those tick hooks were cheaper then folks would buy more and keep them to hand in every outdoor jacket.

Wonder who'll make the first titanium keyring one ? :D

cheers,
Toddy

Not titanium, but this key ring one has come out recently. Still ridiculously priced though!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Threading, as in removing hair using the twist in thread, is a long known skill. If it can remove a single chosen eyebrow hair I'm pretty sure it could remove a tick if needed and no specific tool to hand.

It's a technique worth practicing :D it'll pull out skelfs (splinters) and thorns too.

Timely thread Emdiesse :approve:
That card thing looks useful Shambling Shaman, and the Tick Key might be just the thing to keep one at hand, wwwya :)

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I have this one;
DSC07378.jpg

Several actually and it works brilliantly!
Never had a head break off, except for one time, when one of my cats struggled to get free. I used it on me, my son, my youngest daughter, both our cats and the neighbours dogs.
Can be bought in Holland for less than €12 per set of 3.

I have no affiliation to the company what's however. I am just very happy with this little tool.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Threading, as in removing hair using the twist in thread, is a long known skill. If it can remove a single chosen eyebrow hair I'm pretty sure it could remove a tick if needed and no specific tool to hand.

It's a technique worth practicing :D it'll pull out skelfs (splinters) and thorns too.

Timely thread Emdiesse :approve:
That card thing looks useful Shambling Shaman, and the Tick Key might be just the thing to keep one at hand, wwwya :)

cheers,
Toddy

Very cunning. Although if I learn that skill it could be exploiting by those wishing for me to help them with their eyebrows!

I was thinking on this topic and I wondered of the other bushcrafty ways in which we could do this. So grabbing a piece of bamboo that I just so happened to have in my drawer I wonder if this could work :) Slide it around the jaw, pinch the end so it's tight.... probably easier without a camera in the other hand and also maybe if the 'teeth' were left longer and then pull upwards steadily?

Although, obviously if you have no tweezer/tick remover and your threading skills leave something to be desired or you happen to have no clothes on and so, no cotton... say you were just on your way back to camp after a nice bathe rather than a naturist bushcrafter :D

IMG_4084 (Modified).jpgIMG_4085 (Modified).jpgIMG_4086 (Modified).jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks. More like the AHA (heart diseease) or ADA (diabetics) associations then, in that they're specialized rather than general like CDC.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE