Thumbs up? no, not really

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
That looks really painful beets mine hands down .did the classic used a hatchet while stressed momentary lapse in concentration axe bounced on a knot in the wood I was chopping for kindling and hit my finger not much blood loads of pain and six stitches followed shortly by secondary infection and a week of work hope all gets better soon

Fletching

Dec 6, 2010
London
Steve, did they give you a Tetanus jab, or have you had one recently?

...sometimes get's overlooked when passed straight to surgery.

Steve

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes I got the jab! made the "mistake" of not remembering when I'd last had one:eek:

really never felt a thing, till Monday! aching quite a bit then but fine now.

The wounds however, are really sore! proper "damaged bone" ache, with big cut and ripped off nail, for added flavour:rolleyes:

cheers

Steve

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Nice one for posting all the gory detail and pictures, it may just save some of us from having to learn an old lesson without the blood.
Certainly going to take extra care with the draw knife later ;)

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Sorry to hear of your mishap, if I may call it that. I see that you have now been sorted out. Just hope that all heals up soon and you get back to normal, though I imagine that it will still be very sore for some time.I felt rather sorry for myself when I nearly severed the tip of my index finger, but it was nothing like as bad as yours, I managed to stick it back with Elastoplast without letting it get contaminated in any way, and it has healed up well and even the scar can not be seen now. It is amazing how easily it can happen. I think that it happened due to tiredness on my part too, plus familiarity breeds contempt. Others be warned ! ! !

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Nasty. Hope it heals OK and you get good sensation back.

Can anyone recommend which Kevlar gloves to get ?
I can't imagine they would turn a hatchet blade would they ? Still sound like a good idea

NS

ScotchDave

Forager
Jan 6, 2010
Glasgow/California
Nasty. Hope it heals OK and you get good sensation back.

Can anyone recommend which Kevlar gloves to get ?
I can't imagine they would turn a hatchet blade would they ? Still sound like a good idea

NS

The gloves wouldn't turn the hatchet blade but because they're so hard to cut through the injuries inflicted are more bruising then cutting. In other words instead of getting cut deeply you get hit with a very thin lump of metal. At least that's what I always understood.

Dave

rancid badger

The pain I felt on Saturday was enough to cause me to black out for about 30-40 seconds or so.

So yes it hurt.:D

cheers all

Steve

PS: I normally use "Ninja's" by "Showa", these would not have stopped the axe cutting me but might have lessened the severity of the injury.

I use the gloves almost all the time at work, they are ideal for glancing cuts or sharp edges but useless really for forced blows with a sharp edge. You need something much more sturdy to take an axe blow.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
"I came off nightshift . . "

There's your 'cause of accident'. Nightshift buggers up your ability to think clearly, or tell if you are exhausted.

Impressive cuts, kudos to having it repaired under local.

rancid badger

"I came off nightshift . . "

There's your 'cause of accident'. Nightshift buggers up your ability to think clearly, or tell if you are exhausted.

Impressive cuts, kudos to having it repaired under local.

I'd had my "normal" 5 hours sleep though!:viking: and felt pretty good in the sunshine etc.;)

Seriously though; you're absolutely right, shifts kill people, very very, slowly.

I read somewhere, that working shifts for prolonged periods, takes up to 10 years off your life expectancy.

I've worked them for 29 years now, with no prospect of breaking free, so I reckon that's me stuffed!

cest la vie:rolleyes:

On the plus side, the finger is looking good, though the self absorbing stitches, haven't yet!

The thumb is still very painful, with a quite severe "toothache" or broken bone sensation still going up through my wrist and up my arm into the shoulder.

I've spoken to various medical professionals and none of them seem particularly interested, not sure whether this is a good or bad thing to be honest:confused:

cheers

R.B.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
That looked a sore one , but i hope that you have learned a lesson from it .
Keep your axe sharp and next time you will get all the way through with one hit !:)

Being a joiner my hands are half hand half scar,
hope it heals up ok and you don't have any longterm problems .

Craig.................

Turnip

Sep 28, 2010
Radnorshire
I know how you feel, I managed to put my Favourite user straight through my left index finger a couple of years back, to this day im still not sure how it happened fully. At the time though i was more concerned about the knife until I notices the fast flowing red stuff! lol! anyway to my point, when the stitches have gone and its healed up i would get some vitamin E cream or coco butter to rub onto the scars, mine were very tender so a nurse friend told me to rub a little into the skin once a day, it helps keep the scar tissue flexible but also helps you get use to the sensation where the nerves are damaged!
Hope your sorted soon mate!

Cheers

Jon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE