Thumbs up? no, not really

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Genty

Tenderfoot
Good work on posting this salutary tale; I can't imagine anyone reading this will be thinking - "It'll never happen to me" now.

It's funny how everyone has their weakness when it comes to gore - I can look at most things fairly objectively but split or damaged nails, especially 'cut through' nails just make my stomach turn. I'm not surprised you felt queezey!

Remember: "chicks dig scars...but hate empty eye sockets." Nicks and grazes come with the territort but lets not loose digits!

Hope you have a fast recovery, Rancid.

Wow - That's nasty, and as a fellow left hander I'm impressed you've still been able to write it up and post it on here. I hope the surgery goes well.
My 9 year old son glanced over my shoulder at this as I was reading it, he is used to me using axes, saws and knives with my Scout troop. He simply said, "Ow! Be careful Dad, and tell the Scouts." Funnily enough I'm planning to put a section on use of "sharps" on our Scout website soon and wanted an image of a cautionary nature but not overly gory - and this fits the bill perfectly. So, at the risk of it seeming a strange request, would you mind if I put the first photo on our website (it will of course be credited to you)?

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Well I had a bit of a lie in this morning, got up at 10-15. Made the coffee and logged on to see this........ Any one want some freshly brewed coffee? Not what I wanted to see.

Hope all goes with the surgery and you recover quickly Steve

atb

Dave

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
ooh thats impressive, hope the surgery goes well tomorrow fella.
remember the nausea and dizziness well, when i got my leg snapped playing rugby a few years back.
never underestimate the restorative powers of a tipple or ten!
be lucky:yikes:

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
It was very brave to show and describe us what happened to you.
As you said you are used to work with your hatchet,but when you're tired or groggy don't work with dangerous tools.
I hope you will recover very soon.

Theo

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
ahh steve mate i really feel for you, if i could help anyway i would mate, i hope you get better my friend.
take care and i hope you have a speedy recovery.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well, I survived the surgery! really fascinating stuff.

I asked if they could do it with a local anaesthetic, and although they didn't seem too keen at first, they agreed and I spent a really interesting 45 minutes or so in theatre.

the worst bit was the needle going in, to freeze everything, though after the first two, it numbed nicely.

they opened up my thumb, removed the chopped off bit of nail, as well as trimming it back a bit from the original wound to allow them to stitch it back up.

they found I had taken the tip off the bone, but left it there to either fuse or be absorbed? anyway, then they cleaned it right out and stitched it back together with, I think, 10 tiny little stitches.

then they opened up my forefinger, and did the same with that, 15 stitches in all.

now it's going mad, it feels like something that IK Brunel, might have built and then sailed across the ocean blue!, throbbing like a really throbby throbbing thing!

one last twist, was that it was the "neuro surgery" team who did the job, as they had spare theatre time, due to a mercifully quiet weekend for them.

many many thanks to the staff of both the walk in centre at
Blaydon, and the staff of the R.V.I., A&E, Ward 47 and the "Neuro Team", all very solid professionals but very pleasant and caring too goodjob

that's enough of this one finger typing for now.

thanks again, for the kind and sympathetic words:)

cheers

Steve

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Youch, glad your on the mend Steve.

I decapitated my left index finger last year, it was one of those moments when you think "this is going to end badly" and it did about five seconds later, when the side of the tip of my finger was laying on the shed floor, like you a good swear up for being so stupid.

Glad your sorted as best as you can be for now though.

atb

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
thanks yet again.

I've had to admit defeat and accept I can't go to work with it the way it is. I've been talking to my gaffer and my 'oppo' and while both sympathetic under the surface, both couldn't believe what I've done and of course took the pee, remorselessly!

never mind, such is life

all the best

"Mr.Fingers & Thumbs" ( Steve)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE