Thoughts on this tent and campsite.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The campsite looks nice! The tent is certainly on the cheaper end, but from the description it seems to tick most boxes! That said, If you are starting out, it may be best not spending a fortune on a tent. That way after a few trips out in your cheapish one you can decide what features you like and miss (i suspect space might be one of them) and you can then spend a little more money once you are better informed.

The pitfall to this approach is if the tent you first get is so bad you spend the trip wet and miserable. You would have to be unlucky though even cheap tents these days tend to be much more weather tight than budget offerings availiable 15 or so years back.

Good luck!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Stayed there a total of three times now family camping. The owner is a stickler for you reading the rules and stands no nonsense off campers, no groups (without prior arrangement, you must phone him) no music after ten which suits me fine. Toilet and shower block are on the small side but spotless, cleaned several times a day. There is a strip to park your car then pick your spot. If you walk down the site away from the entrance there is a quieter spot. Follow the path onto the paved road and ten minutes later is a nice little pub, good real ale and the centre of Brecon shops and supermarkets is only another five minute walk. You would no believe you are so close to a town, its a cracking spot and used by hill walkers and families. The site is right on the river (full of trout) so keep an eye on your little one if you think needed. I highly recommend this site, you will have a great time but book in advance as its very busy in 'high' season. Fires are allowed in the free fire bins provided. No problem with a phone signal on the site either.

My daughter started off with (I think) http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3401716/Trail/searchtext>TENT.htm which did her proud and has a bit more room than the Gelert if its raining.

Great site
1255423298-PA100183_opt.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2012
Cardiff
Thanks guys, think I'll go for it and if we like the experience I'll invest in a better/bigger tent then. Just got to wait for a nice weekend now.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have stayed at Priory Mills as Rik says its a good site and you can easily get to amenities and back on foot
Just a thought on the tent Te one Rik linked to you seems roomier and with the benefit of hindsight if the weather is not great a more spacious ten is a better place to be

I noticed this one as well which looks palatial for your needs but that's a good price http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9275740.htm

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
With a nine year old new to camping the bigger tent is a better option really. Room to move, pass wind in the night and not feel guilty etc and if its raining you can sit it out.

Tesco, B&M are doing two fold up chairs for a tenner, don't want to bust your budget but worth having. Enjoy your weekend, I'll be there with the family before the end of summer.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
no idea about the campsite (rik_uk3 seems to be your man there) but i do have a very similar tent to the gelert one that you linked to, and it's not bad at all, i think it'd do quite nicely for you and your daughter. a few others have suggested that maybe you might need more space, and they're probably right, personally i'd do that by swapping the three man for a two man (cosier) and buying a really cheap pop up tent to go with it. sleep in the two man, store your gear in the pop up. if you want to get really fancy a tarp or, even better, a cheap garden gazebo between the two and you've got yourself a palace for two with an indoor(ish) cooking/washing/dressing area plus crawl-in wardrobe.

luxury, it's the way forwards!

i hope you both have a great time :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This is another nice site and very close to me which I use if I'm bored or maybe have a new tent or something, just pop over and chill out. Its on the A470 but you can't see the road or traffic and only hear it if the wind is in the right direction. Lovely spot run by Mrs Pugh who can't do enough to help you but............ the midges can right fierce sometimes.

http://www.campinguk.com/grawen.htm

100_3179Custom.jpg

This is what you end up with when the wife says "I'd not mind going camping again" Coleman Coastline 8, cracker for the family, blooming massive.
100_2982Custom.jpg

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all if your family camping i would go for the 4 man 2 room tent as if the weather is bad you will be glad of the extra room been there done that with two kids in tow regards dave

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Amongst my collection of tents I have the `Rocky` I would think it suit your needs. Loads of room inside for two and it has a higher porch than other similar sized tents.
Not to big or heavy to lug around for two people.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE