Thieving Little Toerags.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thats what I thought Rich but in the papragraph quoted it says in brackets no cover other than hand propelled eg paddle. The Charles River is in the garden still but now I need to check this out. I just want to get my facts right before I go beserk if i find its not covered.

My understanding is.

If its in a garage or in the house and its stolen its covered but if its out with you in the UK
eg its nicked off the car its not covered unless its insured as a specific item, as you say.

I will let you know tomorrow. They are very cleverley worded these policies and its only when you need them you read them thoroughly and to think I chuffing work with insurance!!!

Andy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I use a bike lock; round the top of the frame and through one of the cross members on the door.

Not 100% secure but a right nuisance to cut through.

That's quite a good one, I don't have a garage myself but will mention that to other people who have that same problems with up and over doors.

EdS

As far as I know Andy, no household insurance policy will cover a canoe unless it states otherwise, have you anything on the Charles River ?

My insurance said it would be covered as a possesion if it was in a locked house, garage or outhouse at the time of theft - not covered in use or outside tohugh. Not much good to me as we've nowhere to lock it, therrefore on seperate insurance. However, if it was locked in your garage you may be covered.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I would feel quite happy if all these slimey b*****d no use to society burglars were electrocuted on entering.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
cheers Phil the most obvious things are a gold colour Kona caldera mtb. a Bright orange (metallic) Carrera hellcat full suspension mtb. My daughters Specialized hard rock bright red. A sevvy colorado in green in its bag also green. I could go on really but those are the main items.

On a plus point Direct Line seem to be ok to deal with and I think everything is covered other that the excess she is checking regards the canoe but as it was nicked from a locked garage she reckoned it was ok.

The only stumbling block will be I dont have reciepts for some of the items as they are quite old but they say photos will suffice, So now I have to dig through loads a pictures too. Apparently I will lose my no claims bonus next year but I guess I can shop around then.

Mind you its good to know its covered but what a royal pain in the posterior to sort it all out.

Andy

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
What a pain mate, sorry it's happened :( Being insured is good but it's all still a hassle, I think we should be allowed to keep crocs in our garages :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think we should be allowed to keep crocs in our garages :D

You can but the trouble is plastic sandals just aren't the deterant they used to be!

Rotten news scrogger. I think you should be allowed to practice some woodwork skills and some knot tying skills. Followed by pulling a lever fashioned cunningly like a figure 4 trap!

If you need a lend of kit, say the word

Red

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I had my van broken into once.
It had some camping gear and all my SLR photo kit in it.
The b******rs went through the lot and only nicked some baccy I had on the dash!
I felt insulted!
The passenger door lock was busted and I had to drive back from Yorkshire with a dogs choke chain and a padlock holding everything together.
A lot of hassle and the insurance was not worth losing my no claims...all for some baccy!

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
lol red I must admit I did look at my 35 year old cricket bat from when was a kid and wonder if it might come in useful for something. My lad had only just found rumaging around some old boxes at my mothers.

A car parked (outside) right up against the door helps too.:)

In our house we're all quite handy when it comes to parking the car within an inch of the garage door without bumping into it.
It's hard enough to get in WITH a key when it's like that.

Personally I think booby traps should be legal.

More legally, I'm all for the idea of using sound as a weapon. I can't remember what they are called now, but someone (on a different and unrelated forum) a while back mentioned some sort of klaxon or siren that had a dB level something akin to a jet engine at about 50 yards. The idea being it's so painfully loud the scrotes can't stay inside to rob your stuff.

We had a painfully loud alarm in a bar I worked in France years ago. One time I went in and didn't disarm it properly. I just went and stood in the street until it stopped so I could have another go at turning it off. Good LORD that thing hurt!

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
thats well shabby Scrogger, I hope you can find some of it.

I like the klaxon approach, it sounds like a good deterrent.... :lol:

wedgie

Tenderfoot
Jun 30, 2008
gods own county of yorkshire

More legally, I'm all for the idea of using sound as a weapon. I can't remember what they are called now, but someone (on a different and unrelated forum) a while back mentioned some sort of klaxon or siren that had a dB level something akin to a jet engine at about 50 yards. The idea being it's so painfully loud the scrotes can't stay inside to rob your stuff.

a pain field generator uses ultrasound a pizo horn at around 140db vibrates the nerve endings so you believe you are getting burnt
causes disorientation dizziness Nausea and paranoia whilst you are exposed to the beam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE