Thieving Little Toerags.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I feeling like using some stronger expeletives to be honest!!

Just got up this morning and was about to go into the Beverley food festival I though my wife had left the garage door open. Anyway I thought she had just forgot to close it as she had come out to the garage to bring in a few beers last night so I shouted of her.

I said "dont to you think it was a bit daft leaving the doors open Love?".

"I didnt" was the reply .............. we live in a fairly quiet little village and in a very quiet cul-de-sac so now I was worried.

Anyway they have taken all the mountain bikes(4), A lot of tools, My sevvy Colorado in its bag and pfds, and a big cargo bag full on my outdoor Kit.

After ringing the police we were informed that out particluar garage doors are really easy to get into which was good to hear!!!!

And that there had been another 6 break ins in our village over night. Apparently the recession has meant certain types of people are shopping early for Christmas this year.

So this is just a warning really for eveyone, also Make sure any expensive items you have such as Mountain bikes are named on your policy as the insurers otherwise have limits on what they pay out.

Anyway Ho hum!! all part of lifes rich tapestry.

Disgruntled and Pi:censored: ed of me!

Andy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sorry to hear the local scrots have come knocking. I hope the insurance comapny don't make the experience any worse than it already is for you

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Scrogger , may be worth seeing if you can dig out as many phot's as possible of you with your stolen kit in it.

Ive been advised that one of the best things you can do if you have a lot of pricey or had to find kit is to keep either phot's or vid footage of it.

HTH mate.

Sorry you were hit.

TD

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
If its an up and over garage door then they are almost useless against someone trying to get in without a key.

I use a bike lock; round the top of the frame and through one of the cross members on the door.

Not 100% secure but a right nuisance to cut through.

A car parked (outside) right up against the door helps too.:)

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Sorry to hear about that. I live in Cottingham, and we've had a few thefts down our street in the last couple of months. One guy got seen trying to break into a car, and came back the next day to try again. An old lady had her bungalow burgle just before that. Dooshbags are apparently suffering from the recession quite badly.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Have not rang the insurance company yet but I am hoping they will be ok. Everything is pretty normal kit, the bikes where expensive ones that I had saved long and hard to buy a few years ago but they were named on the policy. I am really annoyed about the holdall though I was planning on going away for a night this weekend but was put off by the weather forecast of high winds etc so just left it in the garage. I had just treated myself to a new Snugpak hooped bivvy still had the bloomin labels on thats gone, My dd tarp again only used a couple of times. A really nice dossbag. But the most annoying thing was an old axe that belonged to my grandfather it was nowt special in terms of make but meant a lot to me and they will more than likely sling it !!!

I keep finding other things missing when I go in for a look about. Its soooooooooooo annoying. To top it all of my wife is really freaked out by it aswell, I look at it like this,

We are all ok and not lasting damage done but it has really upset her and put her on edge thinking people are wandering around up to no good.

Thanks for the tips aswell guys .

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's carp mate, gutted for you fella.

Hope they catch the ***** (sometimes I wish this wasn't family forum) and they get nailed for it.

I know it's not much consolation but you're welcome to borrow any of my gear if you need it all.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
Very sorry to hear about this.

One anti-theft idea I heard about for garages was the following:

Cut a slot in the garage door and poke a U bolt through that's just attached to a plate on the inside. Then put a large rusty padlock through the "U". Clearly it doesn't efect any kind of physical security, but your low intellect theif will imagine that this is the lock to cut off. Cutting such a beast will first create a lot of noise (make the plate loose), and second not help to open the door if the lock or bolt are cut through.

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
. But the most annoying thing was an old axe that belonged to my grandfather it was nowt special in terms of make but meant a lot to me and they will more than likely sling it !!!
Might be worth visiting local car boot sales for the next few weeks. Professional scrotes will have taken the kit half way across the country to dispose of it, but if they're amateurs then they'll ditch it at the local car boot...

Wattle

Forager
Nov 6, 2008
Scunthorpe
www.ncgl.org
Sorry to hear that Andy.

It will probably keep them in drugs for a couple of days.

It don't seem fair,

I was gutted when my Landy got stolen off my drive.

I hope you get sorted ok with the insurance.

Phil

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't swear much, but hearing things like this infuriates me :censored:

Sorry to hear you've been raided Scrogger, hope the insurance company pay out in a timely fashion.

It's a warning to us all though, we're inclined to become complacent about the outsiide security :(

atb,
M

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Thanks guys I feel I could rant and rave about it all day but it does no good. I sort of hope the thieves come to some just deserts, like the bikes brakes failing or the canoe sinking
but then I think nah it could end up been some unsuspecting person with not a lot of money who buys them as a cheap Christmas box for their kids and then that would be awful. I am truly pi:censored:ed off but you gotta just get on with it.

Good point about the car boot sales though. I wil keep my eyes peeled for any happening in the area.

Andy

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Sorry to hear it :(

Hope in the long run it turns out to be something good (don't know how but it helps being optimistic).

Shame about the axe though! Do you have a picture, then maybe we can all keep our eyes peeled...

Mike

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Interesting read these insurance policies. Can anyone clarify this.

Contents section is basically what it says on the tin with no major disclaimers eg we dont pay for this or that other than the usuals.
But has this in it. NO COVER FOR:-

Motor cover (other than motorised garden equipment) caravans , trailers, watercraft,, hovercraft, or aircraft(other than hand propelled or models) and their accsessories(while attached).

thats how its worded I reckon this means my sevvy is covered I hope.

I only ask as in Personel possesions ( which is cover for in the whole of the UK) goes onto to say I have no cover for sports, camping, or watercraft. If im reading this right I think if its nicked from the house its ok.

I just want another slant on it before I ring up and argue with the insurance company.

Cheers

Andy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As far as I know Andy, no household insurance policy will cover a canoe unless it states otherwise, have you anything on the Charles River ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE