The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Thanks for the very speedy answer.. They look rather tempting, surely a meal bulker at least?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I'm hoping someone with some knowledge of mushroom might be able to advise what these are and if they are edible. My other half spotted them in the garden. They are in two clumps about 8 feet apart but they look different from each other. We've taken some photos without pulling them up, the idea being if they are edible we'll only pull them up when the butter is melting in the pan to enjoy them as fresh as possible. If they are not edible we'll just leave them be. There are four photos below.

The first two pics are of the mushrooms we found growing under our bird-feeder, next to a hawthorn hedge:

P1010001_zps3misgfzi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010013_zpssifu8v86.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The next two are mushrooms we found right at the base of an Acer tree.

P1010010_zpscw5hr5g1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010005_zpszlu5qvfa.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any help will be much appreciated ! Ta in advance. :)

Edit: I should add that I've looked through three books we've got on the subject of wild plants but whilst we saw some that looked a bit like them, we just weren't sure enough.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
It's one of the rarer Agaricus species, which aren't easy to tell apart even when you've got them in front of you. However, from the look of them and their "clusteredness" I'd say those are probably Agaricus subperonatus, aka A. pseudovillaticus or "Clustered Mushroom". If so they are edible, but "don't agree" with everybody. Provided they don't smell of phenol (TCP) they are safe to eat.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Thanks Geoff, you know a lot more about mushrooms than I do! Do you think all four photos the same genus/species of mushroom?

They are definitely all Agaricus, and I think they are all subperonatus, yes.

This species is having a good year. Usually not common at all, but I've seen them a couple of times recently, both times growing by the sides of roads.

BTW: fungi aren't plants, in case you didn't know. They are more closely related to animals than plants.

Last edited:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Not found any to date but maybe need to look harder ! Do they have a good flavour Geoff ?

Cheers, Paul

They are delicious. The best tasting wild fungus in the British Isles bar none, IMO.

Not easy to find though - even if they are right in front of you. Most people walk straight past them without realising they are there.

Almost always on sloping ground beneath old beech trees.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Don't go around telling everyone they are 'horn of plenty' - everyone will be after them - tell them they are trumpette de la mort (trumpet of death) then you'll have them all to yourself :lmao:

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Don't go around telling everyone they are 'horn of plenty' - everyone will be after them - tell them they are trumpette de la mort (trumpet of death) then you'll have them all to yourself :lmao:

Let everyone be after them! Most people won't be able to find them. ;)

Got to be in the right place at the right time. Pic taken today, showing just a fraction of what was available at this location. Plenty of plenty....

DSCF9607sm.jpg

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Let everyone be after them! Most people won't be able to find them. ;)

Got to be in the right place at the right time. Pic taken today, showing just a fraction of what was available at this location. Plenty of plenty....

DSCF9607sm.jpg
Any advice on best cooking them?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE