The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Keith_Beef, I wasn't referring to earth stars but rather earth balls which are a type of puff ball. We had loads around here that looked like discarded, discoloured orange peel. Some still held their shape but were empty and they resembled the fungi in your pictures.

I agree Fiona, they look like like Birch Polypores.

MarvTommo

Forager
Feb 2, 2014
Sittingbourne
ebety4ym.jpg

Can anyone help me with this? Its on pine wood, i mistakenly believed it to be pine resin but unfortunately isnt!

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
There's a bit of serendipity!

I came here to post some pictures of a fungus that I discovered growing in the back garden about an hour ago.

Here are a few that seem to be fully open. The bodies are quite fragile, so many have been broken.

open_small_zps639633c6.jpg

Here's a partly open body.

half-open_small_zpsfefa59f1.jpg

And a couple that are barely open. The bright disc is a €1 coin for scale.

closed_small_zps1a36d4a0.jpg

The bodies are dark, partially buried, and the insides are almost like porcelain or coconut flesh.

I'm guessing at something in the Geastrum (earthstar) genus, but don't know which one.

I think is a member of the Pezizaceae called Geopora tenuis. :)

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It looks like the inside of a coconut after it has been shelled

Now that you mention it so it does. It was in a park where bird life is encouraged, possibly there was a coconut hanging someplace and it fell down. I only noticed as I passed and quickly grabbed a pic because it looked interesting, it pays to look closer I guess. :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Any suggestions on this one? No gills, and if there are pores they are very small as it looked smooth and white underneath, as shown on the curled up edges here.

13868305703_c4c04e88a9_b.jpg

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Is this Fomes fomentarius?

I don't think so, no. It's not a species I'm that familiar with, having only ever seen it twice, both times in Scotland. Firstly it is usually smooth and grey on top, and not covered with lichen/algae. Secondly it usually appears on much more substantial bits of wood - trunks and thick branches.

On the other hand I don't have a better suggestion.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I don't think so, no. It's not a species I'm that familiar with, having only ever seen it twice, both times in Scotland. Firstly it is usually smooth and grey on top, and not covered with lichen/algae. Secondly it usually appears on much more substantial bits of wood - trunks and thick branches.

On the other hand I don't have a better suggestion.

Thanks. Interesting...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE