The Ultimate "What is this Fungi?" thread.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
4ade8a7a.jpg
yma5e7et.jpg

Found in a mixed oak and spruce woodland ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Honey fungus. In the middle of a field that hasn't had a tree in it or anything growing more substantial than a common spotted orchid for at least the last 100 years (the site has a well recorded history, hence knowing this).

I have to say I'm surprised, and a little doubtful. On the other hand, there could be a wind-blown bit of wood landed there a while back I suppose.

And it isn't a very good shot, giving you nothing but the cap to look at.

Not to worry. Thanks for looking anyway. Instead of asking difficult questions and hoping for an easy answer, maybe I should work on my own identification skills. It is too easy to rely on people like you and to let you do all the work. I'm getting lazy.

All the best, as always. :)

It's Honey Fungus! :-D

Look at the pattern on the cap. Compare to the picture Mouse040 just posted. Compare to picture on my blog. Honey Fungus.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I believe you. I did a double check, and it is. I'm just really surprised to find it there.

All my other comments stand. I'm getting lazy and should be looking harder at identifying things myself before asking. I know honey fungus, I should be able to identify it when I see it, even if it is where I don't expect it.

That site has the rare pink wax cap on it, allegedly. I failed to find it again. One day...

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
So the common name honey fungus covers quite a few different fungus ?? How many ?? Are they all edible

Until about fifteen years ago, all honey fungus was Armillaria mellea. Since then, mycologists have been arguing about how many species it should be split into. The latest book (Buczaki) list six species in the UK. None of them will kill you, but some of them are considered more likely to cause gastric upsets than others. A. mellea is considered the "most edible", and A. ostoyae probably the least (some mycologists say it should be listed as poisonous.)

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Until about fifteen years ago, all honey fungus was Armillaria mellea. Since then, mycologists have been arguing about how many species it should be split into. The latest book (Buczaki) list six species in the UK. None of them will kill you, but some of them are considered more likely to cause gastric upsets than others. A. mellea is considered the "most edible", and A. ostoyae probably the least (some mycologists say it should be listed as poisonous.)

Bit OT, but I bought some dried wild mushrooms from one of the big supermarkets a while ago. I was expecting the rich, earthy notes of Ceps, Girolles and Chantrelles. What I got was a bit strange. Checked the ingredients...95% Armillareia mellia. Felt a bit robbed seeing as I'd paid silly money for them.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Bit OT, but I bought some dried wild mushrooms from one of the big supermarkets a while ago. I was expecting the rich, earthy notes of Ceps, Girolles and Chantrelles. What I got was a bit strange. Checked the ingredients...95% Armillareia mellia. Felt a bit robbed seeing as I'd paid silly money for them.

What are you doing buying your wild mushrooms, get out there and collect them for free :p:D

Cheers, Paul

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk

You were robbed. Which supermarket was it?

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Wild field mushrooms?

These were waiting for me on a cricket field.... Growing in twos an threes.
I've no guide with me and if they cut the grass soon, they'll be gone. Cheers
9yvatuza.jpg

ume3a4e4.jpg

sa6ydeqa.jpg

egebu4am.jpg

8epe3ume.jpg

Nearby were these....growing in clusters

epyru4ep.jpg

a3y4unu9.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE