The Ultimate Puukko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Eey up Josh, Very nice work in deed, but what makes it your ultimate Puuko, now you might have had a chance to use it, do you still think it so?

well so far ive used it to feather sticks, carve and slice hazel. so far i would say it definatly lives up to its intentions. the large handle is perfect for my hand in every position, no hotspots or areas of discomfort. the ferrule and countersunk succured tang make it ridiculously strong. i have done afew experiments where i have tried to break stick tang knives i had made with ferrules, no ammount of battoning or prying in the vice was enough to break the handle, i literally had to saw the standard birch handle off.

as for the blade i love the narrow profile, it means the edge is closer to the centerline of the knife and the point of mapipulation, this means increased control when cutting aswell as being able to turn in the wood more efficently. the grind is high with a slight hint of a secondary bevel, its ridiculously sharp and seems to glide through the wood with alot of control. whilst my main woods tool remains to be my leuku, the puukko will make a perfect companion for it.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Cheers chap, I really like the recessing of the peened tang, looks very neat. I'm stuck into some Polar stick tangs at the mo, your right about the ease with which the thinner blades work the wood. brilliant stuff dude!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The photo of the tang in the recess is a little blurred ...is it peened (ie hammered down to swell the metal as in a rivet)or is it clenched (ie bent over the washer)?
Whatever - the finished knife looks great

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Really nice work, your best yet I think. You have come a long way, I know you get a lot of stick on the forums but that is a knife to be proud of
well Done.

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE