the mummy match

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2006
North Wales
hi everyone! after much messing round with matches i think i have invented a new breed of super match! ive looked round on the net and cant find anyone whos tried anything like it! i camm it THE MUMMY MATCH as it looks like a little mummy! basically you take a standard math get some cotton wool and fluff it out then wrap it around the match leaving the head exposed. now ive then tried coating it in vaseline with works ace giving a really nice hot long burning flame, and also ive coated it in vaseline and then wax over the top of that. it was left in the bottom of a glass of water over night and it lit first time (bit of a shakey start) has anyone ever tried this or heard of it been done? if not i'm a genius!!!!!
jamie

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Kinda - well it wasn't me it was a fellow Scoutleader - seem to remember him calling it a self lighting match!?

It was essentially a match wrapped with a strip of kitchen paper and soaked in candle wax if I remember correctly. Worked very well too and the Scouts had a ball making them as a basis of PSK's

OldBaldGuy

Aug 6, 2004
California, USA
I did something similar once. Took a regular strike anywhere kitchen match and wrapped a double layer of waxed linen thread (from my leatherworking stuff) around the shaft of the match below the head. Then coated the entire match with fingernail polish (color makes no difference). The polish does a pretty good job of waterproofing the match, and the thread makes the match burn much longer. Then I got a little crazy and pulled the bullet from a .22 LR round, and mixed some of the powder with the nail polish. Not worth the trouble,altho it did sparkle and fizz a lot. And of course if you did the tread thing with an already waterproof match you would be ahead of the game...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE