The Moot 2014 NC pizza oven - construction and use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ok so giving this some thought over the next few days, but i am attending the Moot from day 1. Question for Tony or a Moot Mod, could we run a free and open oven build workshop before the core days?

I can see a bring a brick party plan starting to form.

There's no problem with groups, individuals etc doing stuff before the core days. As long as it's all kept tidy, they use the site mostly for LARPing so they don't like a lot of additions or changes.
There's not a lot of rush though, the site won't get busy for a few days (Friday really)

It's also worth mentioning that even though this is up at the NC it was originally intended as a pizza oven for anyone on site to use, situating it up there was just the logical thing to do.

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
It's also worth mentioning that even though this is up at the NC it was originally intended as a pizza oven for anyone on site to use, situating it up there was just the logical thing to do.

Absolutely, bring some fuel and food and form an orderly queue. :) It would be great to have it working in the daytime for some of the children to have pizza or bread etc. or for someone to cook a roast or something in it for lunch or dinner. If someone wanted to specifically offer a workshop to cook in it then that would be even better. There will be facilities for prepping. Obviously the intention is also to use it for the social side later at night for nibbles, pizza etc. Perhaps it could be used to cook something for the communal meal.

The original before its demise was fired using mainly lump wood charcoal and some wood, not the briquettes. Either grab some at the supermarket or let me know ahead of time and I'll get some whilst I'm shopping. Any contribution towards costs will be appreciated.

This is all dependent upon us managing to get a new one up and running of course, fingers crossed. We want something functional and quick to construct this time as we haven't got a volunteer to run a full on clay oven workshop and we'd like it up and ready by Friday hopefully.

I'm sure we can make use of materials such as brick, fire brick, clay, chicken wire, cement and Perlite if people want to bring a small contribution along. Steve is already going to squeeze some Perlite into the spaces left in his car.

If we had enough Perlite, rapid cement, tubes from carpets and 25L ish metal drums then someone could try knocking up some cast rocket stoves. Some mesh or metal sheet would serve as the air/fuel feed divider.

NOTE: If you want to play with Perlite rocket stoves then it may be a good idea to source some of your own Perlite as the local centres only sell 10L bags at £7.99! 100L is obviously very bulky.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plant-T-100...8&qid=1436456189&sr=8-1&keywords=perlite+100l

[video=youtube;Slv2jL8p18E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slv2jL8p18E[/video]

Perlite can also be used in alcohol stoves:

[video=youtube;QNywkptCd-Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNywkptCd-Q[/video]

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Sadly, that's been smashed by someone. There's no way an oven that thick would fall to bits like that!

There is still clay there buried from last year - I don't know where about though. Sand was free on site. There might actually be enough to do the workshop again. If not, if those who want to do it bung in £5 each I can go get enough clay from the potter round the corner.

Unfortunately I will be arriving _very_ late on Thursday and almost certainly 1-2am Friday. I intend (Assuming no-one minds) pitching up at the naughty corner with Steve and Gary. Possibly a Spadger as well (you've not met him)

Assuming I actually get some sleep, I will happily run this again on Friday afternoon - then there's a chance it'll be OK for Saturday.

I will not be offended even in the slightest if someone else wants to do this. 50% of the effort goes into making the base which is still there. The oven itself is relatively easy - build a sand dome, mix up the oven mud 1 part clay to 2 parts sand and very, very little water. Make sure it's 2-3", build the clay all the way round the outside, then mix up straw or hay with mud slip (ie clay water) and plaster it on. Then cover again with another layer of mud.

The door needs to be exactly 11.5" wide and 7.5" high. Our last oven sagged a little at the top as it was a little too wet and that made it much too difficult to keep alight.

I'd actually recommend not bothering with the thermal mass and the outer layer - just the initial clay brick top will essentially make a tandoor oven. It'll radiate a lot more loss, but crucially it'll also be much quicker to dry and to fire up. Probably just that evening to dry it fully.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
OK - just read some comments and you're likely to build it without me - that's fine - I was hoping to just relax and take part in some stuff this year and not slice my hand apart anyway :)

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
OK - just read some comments and you're likely to build it without me - that's fine - I was hoping to just relax and take part in some stuff this year and not slice my hand apart anyway :)

I believe our contractors have it in hand. ;)

We are trying something a little different from the usual clay and sand.

I should insist you stand in the kitchen and make a continuous stream of pizza to fire after you told everyone last year that there would be pizza up the NC and then did a runner. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I left you a michael though :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Not easy to make pizza for 60 without dough!! :lmao: Lucky a had a barrel half full of Tortilla and bread mixes plus two very enthuisiastic bakers who ended up missing eyebrows and arm hair.

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
I just took delivery of those 4 100 litre bags of perlite....Eh no way I can bring that much, not in the car anyway, I will definately bring one tho as promised for Monday.

Stephen

We were all waiting for that Steve. :lmao:

100L would be awesome but we can't help but wonder how much more of it you could bring if you just cracked a window or the sunroof a little when you were about to leave and got a neighbour to pour!!! :p

[video=youtube;RnyhkBU1yaw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw[/video]

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Might just be room left for a rubber chicken...

Not to worry if there isn't, I suspect all the dead parrots will be flocking in Steve's direction anyway. Aye up, you've pulled, or is that plucked, DUCK?! I'll put pancakes and Plum sauce on the NC shopping list.

What I want to know is whether Capt. Badger is an 'ex-pirate' cause he certainly ain't "no more"?

Last edited:

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Shout out for bricks guys, if anyone is arriving in good time on Monday then we could do with whole or broken bricks, normal would be good, fire brick even better. Let us know.

Ta

Gailainne

Life Member
Ha, I have procured a roof box for the princely sum of a bottle of whisky, so I will be bringing all 4 :nana:

We were all waiting for that Steve. :lmao:

100L would be awesome but we can't help but wonder how much more of it you could bring if you just cracked a window or the sunroof a little when you were about to leave and got a neighbour to pour!!! :p

[video=youtube;RnyhkBU1yaw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw[/video]

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Should be fire bricks in the old pizza oven - unless we want to build another

Midnitehound

Silver Trader
Jun 8, 2011
AREA 51
Should be fire bricks in the old pizza oven - unless we want to build another

Yep, but we could do with more for building the structure. I'm not going into great detail as I'm somewhat pressed for time but if people have spare fire bricks they could bring along then that would be great. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE