The law of the woodsman.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
I realise these are not taught and no ones heard of a few but

When i started out my grandad told me the laws of the woodsman as his grandad told him.

1. Nature is a woman, if you hurt it it's over nothing will work and you'll spend a lot of time making up for it.

2.The woodsman never exists, tidy everything and make it unnoticeable you were there

3. Killing, if you trap or hunt you should use every part of the animal, if you don't know how to use it, keep it then learn to use it.

4. Never unnecessarily harm anything, if you need resin, look for a naturally injured tree never deliberatly injure a tree, nature will provide our lack of knowledge or laziness is never an excuse as it is there you just need to look.

An extra cup, even if you want to beon your own you should offer anyone who talks a warm drink, if theres two people offer them your cup then drink from the pot yourself.

Teaching- if someone asks how to do something it is your duty to show them to the best of your ability

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
7 food, always carry an extra bowl, if there are two offer them your bowl then eat from the pot

8. lack of knowledge - no excuse for anything, there are woodsman who will show you. if you don't know, ask.

9. weeds there are none, its a lack of knowledge which a good woodsman will adress asap

Cabins- always leave enough firewood so that if someone is in trouble they can burn wet wood( leave at least ten logs outside) though you dont have to chop them, sharpen and oil any tools lef, leave the place tidier than you entered, if there are no matches leaves as many as you can spare, if the cabin is damaged even if you are not knowledgeable to fix it properly block any holes with wood as this should be sufficient.

If the stove is blocked and you are unable to fix it, smash the floor with your axe until a few square metres are cleared so anyone in trouble can light a fire.

If there are no tools in the cabin, leave yours.

I realise these rules may be archaic though i follow them and maybe others will.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Sorry guys my browser doesnt allow me to type long pieces, these are the rules i follow, they may be a bit archaic but the ideas are the same, my grandad taught me these rules and my grandad taught hime them so they may be over 150 years old, if you don't agree you might just find it interesting.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Obviously these being rules i was taught over 60 years ago they may sound a bit politically incorrect but as i assume these rules were made by a male who was my great great grandad when i have great grandchildren myself so they are old and from what i remember he was terrified of my gran so i doubt he was sexist so please dont feel offense.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Sorry i serm to have posted a lot in this thread as i don't want these rules to be misunderstood.

On rule no10 were it's states to smash the floor in to make a firepit if you can't fix the stove is because maybe the next guy cant fix it either and could be in trouble, he did say that if you do this that you should visit the ranger and tell him what and why yo'd done it, this follows the earlier rule of learning where here you should help the ranger fixing the floor and learn to fix the stove from him so you don't have to smash the flopr, my grandad also said that if you do smash in the floor, even though you did what was necessary you should compensate him with the best single malt you can get and if you got any meat you owe 50%of it to the rangers wife.

Having smashed a cabin floor in the 50's the ranger was understanding and very happy with the gifts.

These "laws are archaic but i feel there very important especially the last bit, you probably won't have to give him or his wife

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
but if something you do may cause the ranger problems then i think you should compensate him with a good single malt, some meat you hunted or a knife or axe as well as helping him solve the problem you caused, not only will you fulfill an earlier rule he'll most likely help you with other questions you have.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE