The fire hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent! What a brilliant concept!

As a variation on a theme, do you think the felt could be used for a tripod fire based on this sort of stool

http://www.bighousedaddy.com/three_legged_camp_stool.htm

just wider and lower to the ground? Does the felt insulate enough so the legs could be site sourced wood so all you would carry is the seat part and a ring the legs are held together with at the crossing point?

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
So a triangle of the material with chains on the corners with a loop or a ring on the ends which would fit into notches cut onto the legs of the tripod.? The middle son uses a brass ring with a chain attached to hold his tripod together, with a small hook on the other end to adjust the height of his cauldron.

atb

tom

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
What about a piece of mesh/ grill (the same size as the felt) put between the chains 6" above the felt. This would not only provide a cooking surface but also hold the felt open a bit more to provide a flatter base for the fire. If the mesh had open ends then each corner could just poke through a loop of the chain, which also mean you could vary the height at which you set it!
Does that make sense?

Jim

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
So here's v2. I noticed some damage to the felt. Probably due to abrasion - so this model includes a foil pie tray and a triangular shape with sides.

So far a few things have me a bit worried. On this test, at some points there was an odd smell and the felt was glowing in a similar manner to Char cloth. I suspect whilst fire proof the cloth still undergoes a chemical change. So it's durability may be questionable.

The other noticeable effect was the fire softening the pie tray. It curled in on itself.

The new model is a hefty 52g without suspension.

Photos
4aqyde6a.jpg

esymu2a9.jpg

ypumyres.jpg

2aguge3y.jpg

u5a2unaq.jpg

Last edited:

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
Should have patented that idea before posting! ;-)

How about the woven heat proof fabric that you can get for protecting walls/skirting board when ga torch soldering plumbing pipes? That's built to stand a much higher temperature than a wood fire.

Peter

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ok. The jury is in. The carbon felt doesn't seem to have been affected at all. The pie tray has had it though. It appears to have melted in places and burnt in others. Give carbon felt is such an effective insulator maybe I shouldn't be surprised. Going to get my hands on some titanium foil next, and maybe vent the felt with some holes.

This could end up being expensive if I'm not careful!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Should have patented that idea before posting! ;-)

How about the woven heat proof fabric that you can get for protecting walls/skirting board when ga torch soldering plumbing pipes? That's built to stand a much higher temperature than a wood fire.

Peter

Too easy to create a variant to patent. Waste of time and money trying.

Carbon felt (what I'm using) is used in some plumbers heat proof mats.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If its a good insulator, just put the mat on the ground, you could even remove a sod or paving slab and have a fire directly on the ground. Now there is food for thought eh?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It just occurred to me that those otherwise rather useless folding metal steamer things that open like a fan into a circle would work for this idea, and would pack small but hold their shape when fuel was added. As they already have holes in they would be easy to attach to a chain.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It just occurred to me that those otherwise rather useless folding metal steamer things that open like a fan into a circle would work for this idea, and would pack small but hold their shape when fuel was added. As they already have holes in they would be easy to attach to a chain.

But are they 50g? Trying to get a lightweight option...

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
If its a good insulator, just put the mat on the ground, you could even remove a sod or paving slab and have a fire directly on the ground. Now there is food for thought eh?

If it doesn't have holes in the corner and chains to suspend it how do you hold it at the end and swing it around when it gets dark to get a funky [albeit dangerous] light show?

untitledfire_zpsdbb33217.png

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE