The end of RICE

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Was never realy one for RICE when I was injured mainly because I hated the cold packs

much prefered a hot soak

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have to say that chilling down an aching ankle, knee or wrist does stop the inflammation for me. Stop the swelling and let things settle and drain rather than keep swelling up and bruising.
Heat just makes it swell more :sigh:
When it's healing though, then soaking in hot water (wax is brilliant), or a wrapped up hot water bottle, is excellent.

I read the article, and even the author claims that his theory is widely disputed.

I suspect that it's an individual thing; not just the person, but the circumstances and the specific injury too.

cheers,
Toddy

Parbajtor

Maker
Feb 5, 2014
Surbiton
www.tanczos.co.uk
Did a lot of sport to a high level for much of my life (Judo, Rugby, Sabre fencing, Kung Fu). There's a place for Ice and compression but it depends on what you want out of the treatment. If the injury was too severe to allow you to continue playing, then, for me anyway, Icing was generally a waste of time. Icing reduces swelling and swelling is part of the body starting to heal. Heat aggravates pain but accelerates healing. Icing helps for injuries that you can "run off/work off". The danger is, that like pain killers, if the injury is more severe you can end up with more damage being done before being forced to stop. When I tore my meniscus in my left knee Fencing (Washington DC World Cup event), icing and compression bandages (neoprene) allowed me to finish the pool (retirement early would have promoted the other countries in my pool above my British Team mates) but caused more damage which required surgery on my return to UK. The cartilege folded back on itself into the joint.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Brillant article.

The man of the house is presently nursing a slipped disk. It sounds like he has contracted tourettes as well. I looked up embrocation creams, most of them work by increasing blood flow. An injured area needs to increase blood flow to repair it also doesnt need to become so swollen that the swelling itself becomes damaging.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Brillant article.

The man of the house is presently nursing a slipped disk. It sounds like he has contracted tourettes as well. I looked up embrocation creams, most of them work by increasing blood flow. An injured area needs to increase blood flow to repair it also doesnt need to become so swollen that the swelling itself becomes damaging.
I used to live with someone who had major back pain and problems (post childbearing).

Hot and cold worked wonders to relax the muscles, accelerate healing and relieve pain.
You need two large bowls (washing-up bowl size) and a couple of cloths. Old terry nappies or thick T towels. One bowl gets cold water and ice cubes, the other water as hot as you can stand. You'll need to top this one up, so keep a kettle of boiled water handy.

Soak one towel in each, then wring out and apply in turn - about one-two min each I think worked. start with hot towel, not cold.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
In the mob if you need to get on with a job, say with a sprained ankle it was keep the boot on and crack on. If we wanted a speedy recovery then we found a hot bath/foot soak would bring the bruising and swelling out much quicker and seemed ​(no proof) to accelerate healing.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
"The man of the house is presently nursing a slipped disk. It sounds like he has contracted tourettes as well".

Ha ha ha 😄😉 I know what a bad back feels like, but this is a great description.

Sent from somewhere?

xylaria

I have made an embrocation cream. I have always found heat and light use faster at healiing than cold and rest. It depends what is wrong though, when my hip plays up (slipped growth plate at 18y.o) I couldnt move it if I tried. Moving a joint with a lax ligament can do permanent damage.

The cream is fresh ginger dried chillis with seeds, wintergreen essential oil and camphor essential oil. Ginger root has inflammation modulator s (cox2 inhibitors) . Chilli seed draws blood to the area. Wintergreen is a painkiller I dont know what the camphor does but it is in other creams and it smells good.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The man of the house is presently nursing a slipped disk. It sounds like he has contracted tourettes as well.

I find the treatment for my bad back is a distillate of femented barley used as the basis for an oak tincture - taken internally repeatedly as needed.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I've always gone for whichever feels best. I find that cold is often good in the early stages because it reduces the initial pain, then warmth become much more comforting and the increased blood flow washes away the breakdown products of bruising and inflammatory chemicals.

Hawk

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2006
North Lincolnshire
First we had RICE then PRICE (includes Protect injury) now we should be thinking PRIME (Protect, Rest, Ice, Mobilise and Elevate)

Things to avoid HARM (Heat, Alcohol, Rest and Massage)

If you have any meds stick to Paracetamol for first 48 hours before hitting the NSAIDs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE