The boy wants a new knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
My son feels its time for him to buy himself a new knife as he feels he has grown out of his mora
Bizarrely enough he wants a antler handled knife don't ask me why but he does and he's chopped a lot of wood to earn his own purse so who am I to complain
So what's about please guys pics if poss

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
What's his budget? Almost any knife available can be had with antler handles but the costs vary to both extremes.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
He wants a fixed blade little beep won't tell me how much cash he has or where he's stashed it but I would think he's hog a good amount I will guess at £100 or bellow

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
And iv found it often has hotspots although natural it can only be work so much unlike wood scales (or is this just me as a user not a knife maker?).

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Depends on the antler, and how much texture it has left on it :) Reindeer antler is thick enough to be shaped pretty much however... :)

And iv found it often has hotspots although natural it can only be work so much unlike wood scales (or is this just me as a user not a knife maker?).

My lad (11yr old) found Moras for £1.99. He asked if I could get him one.

Won't say where as I don't want to promote but it is listed in a recent thread of mine.

More than half to purchase as he is good with a knife, and it resides with me when not in use. Bonus is it has a good ' finger guard' so I know he is sage w.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
That's a stunning knife and I'm sure he will fall in love with it tone honest I have

As regards for the safety aspect he has been using sharps now for a good couple of years and have had a few accidents and to be honest if he hadn't I'd worrie I'm a real believer in teaching my boys the correct and proper way to use , care for all of there tools and to treat them with respect and if they choose to ignore that then they will learn in there own way .
Anyway I'm a very lucky man as I've got two very sensable boys who are a credit to me and being he is 11 years of age and spends a good hour three or for days a week stocking logs and chopping them for several of our friends he has earned my trust and the right to choose his own knife:lmao:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Drop me a PM if you want something mate. :)

Could have it in the next week or two. :)

Its quite a small knife, more of a necker for a bloke, but perfect for smaller hands. It'd be like a full size knife to him.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's the kind of knife that is eternal. It'll be a brilliant user, and as he grows it'll become his at hand/ necker knife.
The size is found from the neolithic right through bronze and iron ages up until the present.
Don't underestimate a really good small knife :D

A long time ago I started a thread on a small knife and it's ability to batton with a bit of thought behind it's use. It's not just belting it through, it's learning to judge how to do it effectively without knackering the knife or endangering oneself.

Sounds like your lad's got both his head screwed on straight and a healthy work ethic, before he even hits secondary school :)
Good on him :approve:
He won't be disappointed in one of Mark's knives; I have one and it's real favourite :cool:

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE