The Big Apple

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Today I went to the village of Much Marcle in Herefordshire, for the annual Big Apple festival. This is a celebration of the apple varieites of the UK, and their derivatives (apple juice and cider) and also pears and perry. It is one of my favourite events of the year, and as usual I came back with a big bag of apples of varieties not usually available to buy (Ashmead's Kernel, Blenheim Orange, Tom Putt, Jupiter, Ribston Pippin and so forth). The names of the varieties are a joy in themselves.

I took lots of pictures of the apple displays, just because I think it is amazing that we have such a diversity of varieties in the UK (over 2700), of which almost none are commercially available. The French celebrate their grape varieties, so why don't we celebrate our native apple varieities?

Anyway, here are the pictures...

The tasting tables. Apples freely available for sampling (and incidentally, every one of the apple experts and helpers was openly carrying a folding knife for cutting slices of apple, and no-one so much as blinked about it. No stabbings were reported despite the proliferation of 'weapons' :rolleyes:)
15492603176_e490a0e1dd_b.jpg

15492610876_a2467822e4_b.jpg

The apple displays. Impressive when you think that each variety shown has its own distinct flavour, season and properties (such as whether it holds its shape when cooked), and this is just a fraction of what is available.
15515796555_e7af65e0eb_b.jpg

15329057370_01e059874d_b.jpg

15512649381_92ea2a4071_b.jpg

Cider apples. About a half to a third of the UK's apple varieities are cider varieities rather than culinary or cooker types.
15329071810_518d796318_b.jpg

15328918719_8c63f784cb_b.jpg

I have to throw in the perry pears too. Another amazing selection, and far less is known about our native pears than is known about our apples. Perry (NOT pear cider, please) has been fashionable lately, so hopefully things will improve in that regard.
15512670261_85dd3bcdbe_b.jpg

Finally, the Catshead, or Druid's apple. A medeival variety notable for its size (Like a big grapefruit) and five-sided shape. The oldest variety in the world, and still growing. I saw one yesterday in a plant nursery near Brecon.
15492596146_728f45a9cc_b.jpg

A great day out. Free entry and £2 for parking if you parked in the main site. Free if you are prepared for a short walk.

colly

Forager
Apr 10, 2010
Edenbridge Kent
looks really good.
went to a small apple event today at Bough Beach nature reserve.
we are having our own small apple event in Edenbridge next saturday.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sounds like a great day. I am planning to add a couple more apple varieties to our existing four types this year :)

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Looks to have been a great day out ! Never realised that there were so many varieties of apple, mind boggling.

Wee bit sad about the lone mourner for the Lady :-(

Pete

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Currently running James Grieve, Lord Lambourne, Sunset and Bramley. Looking to add some with extended keeping properties.

I'm toying with Crispin, Adams pearmain and Rosemary Russet on MM106

Any preferences?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Currently running James Grieve, Lord Lambourne, Sunset and Bramley. Looking to add some with extended keeping properties.

I'm toying with Crispin, Adams pearmain and Rosemary Russet on MM106

Any preferences?

i tried Adams Pearmain for the first time today and thought it was delicious. Then again I'm a russett fan too, but usually they don't keep so well. I thought Crispin was disappointing. I would go with the Adams.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're a very lucky man :) I too would have enjoyed that day out.

Supermarket, and even greengrocer's, miss the seasonality of apples these days. Mum gave us an apple every single day going to school, and they changed throughout the year.
I like russets and pippins too, but I miss the different cooking apples as well. My Grandmother had apple trees, we used to use the clothesline stretcher to bring them down, caught them in an old tablecloth.
I have one tree, it's a late fruiting and long keeping desert apple that cooks very well too. Apart from jam, this year we mostly dried the apples. Himself is very fond of them like that.

I wish I had room for a pear tree too; fond as I am of apples, I'm as fond of pears, though they don't keep as well as the apples.

This is a link to Apple days in Scotland this month.
http://www.scottishorchards.com/new_scottish_Orchards/Calendar_of_Open_Orchards_Events.html

Does anyone have links to others around the country too ?

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll probably go with two - I like a variety of tastes. I do like a russet as well so perhaps the Adams and a Russet. The Rosemary Russet keeps till March which I see as pretty good (although its a late cropper - October time). Its a group C pollinator which is good as it fits in with my current trees (although I have crab apples to act as pollinators anyway).

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Looks great - I just bought an apple scratter too :)

More for vinegar than cider...but it can be pressed to use!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Looks like a nice day out, and brought back some very fond memories for me. Herefordshire/Worcestershire used to have a strong apple picking tradition where many people from the black country used to travel to have what was known as ''working holidays'' to earn a bit of extra money, often the farmer would have rough outbuildings where the pickers slept or sometimes they stopped in old caravans, many of the farmers used to make their own rough cider (and it was really rough). When I was young my parents used to travel around Herefordshire & Worcestershire picking the apples and other produce living in a rough shelter my father built on top of a horse drawn cart (which he made to live in after being demobbed at then end of WW2) on one occasion a particular farmer known for being mean offered such a low rate of pay that my father organised everybody into not picking any apples unless the farmer paid a fair rate of pay, the farmer succumbed and paid it begrudgingly after an argument. There was one farm that always had trouble getting pickers because there was a belief that the farm was haunted, the farmer put it to a friend of mine that if he would stop the night he could drink all the cider he wanted free of charge in an attempt to encourage other people to stay there (he agreed and got so drunk he was not fit for anything). Every year it was common for people to travel from the black country to pick the produce, the tradition has now largely died out amongst the black country folk. Sorry for transgressing, so many happy memories.

on apples one of the rarer ones is the Doddin of Worcestershire.

https://sites.google.com/site/doddinpreservationsociety/

I know Much Marcle very well indeed (home of Westons Cider) and there is a very old yew tree in the churchyard there which has a bench inside it’s trunk.
Much%2BMarcle%2Byew.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE