The axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...the axe was never needed...I like axes...

I'll be serious for a minute here (but only for a minute) The above pretty much sums it up. As someone else already said, Why do buscrafting at all? (paraphrased) Because it's fun and we enjoy it. The same is true of carrying an axe. We can do fun things with it and enjoy them. Isn't that reason enough?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I can see the case for not carrying an Axe, especially if you are on a day trip or a 1 night sleep over. That said, I just like having an Axe available for when I need it & my GB Wildlife hatchet does it all for me. It makes me lots of firewood quicker & safer thatn doing it with a knife; since breaking a Mora battoning I prefer to hit my axe with a large batton rather than my knife. I could live without it & save a pound (or whatever it weighs) but I like having it around & it gets used for all sorts of jobs bike banging in stakes, clearing bracnches etc.. PLus they are cool & fun to use, provided you always pay attention to where you are swinging it, of course.

For me a camp means a fire and a fire means some axe work.

Sparrowhawk

Sep 8, 2010
Huddersfield
It just speeds up a whole host of jobs that the knife would take a long time to accomplish. Plus you can do so much more with it, like bash in stakes, split down logs for seats and tables and thin down billets before carving. If it's survivalism we're talking about then we really need to adjust our motivations for taking anything but a suvival tin into the woods, but if we're talking bushcraft then the axe has earned it's place along with any number of other tools.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Depends on who owns the woods I suppose, doubt the owners of many woods want random wallys hacking their cash crop trees to bits so felling axes aren't much use to me. Besides if I want to fell trees I use a chainsaw.
If I'm cutting firewood (for home or being paid to do it for someone else's home) it gets felled and cut to length with a chainsaw then split with a maul.

I do however have a very nice little Husqvarna hatchet which I could see being useful if I was doing extended camping trips where I was OK to hack trees to bits.

Full size felling axes though? No thanks, I don't currently have the need for one.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
An axe is perfect for those times at meets when you realise you have left your cutting chisels back at home and the knife you're forging isn't going to cut itself.

Our hero in this story is of course the amazing argos axe. A few quick blows with the hammer and we were through.

A more serious answer: Because like bushcraft it is what I choose to do. I choose to take an axe for splitting down thicker branches to find dry wood inside for kindling.

Besides - when you meet a bunch of folk off the interwebs you want to be armed to the teeth in case they are axe murderers? no?

And now as for cheese: I've always favoured a good stilton. That said a solid mature cheddar would go down well. with a slice of apple or perhaps an oatcake and some quince jelly?

I'm off to the shop! :D

Andy

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
I only have a cheap axe but i dont take it out too often as i prefer saw and knife, i sometimes take the axe or even a machete but i could do without it- but its nice to have :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Axes are the tools that raised us from living in caves, they enable us to build, carve and create much more than a knife or saw ever has. They built the world that existed for thousands of years before more modern techniques took over. I carry an axe whenever im out, given the choice i would take an axe before a knife as it can do so much more. They do require more skill/practice to use effectively and safely though, which is why many folk prefer a saw. But an axe in skilled/familiar hands can do the work better and far far faster. :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I only have a cheap axe but i dont take it out too often as i prefer saw and knife, i sometimes take the axe or even a machete but i could do without it- but its nice to have :)

Its not the cost that counts though matey, a sharp axe is a good axe irrespective of how much it was, if it holds the edge its good,

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Its not the cost that counts though matey, a sharp axe is a good axe irrespective of how much it was, if it holds the edge its good,

Quite right. The argos axe was £3 - I don't think anyone on here would knock it once a decent edge is put on. Mine is shaving sharp and gets a lot of use.

Don't think I've spent more than a fiver on kent pattern axes in the past.

Andy

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
battle_axe_cheese.gif

PMSWFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE