The axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Why do you take an axe?...You could use it to take down dead standing wood but a laplander or bowsaw would be faster and do a better job plus it's a lot lighter to carry in...

But it's sooooo hard to throw a saw properly. They just bounce off without sticking. And unless it's a chainsaw, it really won't stop a zombie as well as an axe through the skull.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
woodprep2.jpg

This thread says it all really.

I don't normally backpack anything heavier than my hawk but if I'm out for a weekends proper camping I expect to do some proper cooking.

If I'm going to do some proper cooking then I'm going to need decent firewood.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Perhaps a good SHARP cheese axe might be the best tool for processing that stick of salami (or maybe gammon) down to usable pieces? With a fire ring of apples?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Shouldn't we be reconditioning the old and traditional tools though...like a mature cheddar? That mold is only and the surface...with the surface sorted and some new bread to hang it on.....

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Just thinking seriously for a minute.... could you make a Damascus cheese axe using different cheese slices and etching it with pickle.:lmao:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Shouldn't we be reconditioning the old and traditional tools though...like a mature cheddar? That mold is only and the surface...with the surface sorted and some new bread to hang it on.....

I like this idea.It might be my project for next Autumn. I may even have to clean it with some cider.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I won't comment on the cheese for the moment but as for the axe part I'd say it could easily be replaced with a saw in the majority of our outings.

Having watched Mr.Mears cut a fresh tree branch down with an axe then cut off the stubby bit still on the tree with a saw so it was neat just reinforced my opinion that the axe was never needed.

I like axes and don't have anything expensive so I feel I could (if it came to it) just carry one axe instead of any other cutting implement and be just fine.

If you don't mind using (abusing) your axe you can open tins, dig holes, fell trees, smash rocks, 'kill zombies', cut any cord or material and still carve yourself a little spoon or whatever you like doing.

Could you do that with a folding/bow saw?

I prefer a machete though for it's lightweight yet effective and versatile cutting abilities and I've used both axe and machete for some seriously abusive tasks.

The axe and machete in this picture are both about 8-10 years old and still going strong, I even cut a old kids bike in half with the axe. ;)

AK1.jpg

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
reasons to carry an axe in the british countryside:

Werewolves
Bandits
Giant Badgers

oh and carving, felling poles for shelters, splitting, and most importantly firewood, yes you can pick up sticks and snap them over your knee, but if your organising a camp then proper firewood becomes extreamly useful. if i had it my way i would take a chainsaw with me on stays more than 4 nights, but weight ect limits me to carring an axe.

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
carving....snedding poles (much faster than a saw).....splitting firewood...oh, and cutting small cubes of cheese and pineapple to go on tiny hand carved sticks :)

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I won't comment on the cheese for the moment but as for the axe part I'd say it could easily be replaced with a saw in the majority of our outings.

Having watched Mr.Mears cut a fresh tree branch down with an axe then cut off the stubby bit still on the tree with a saw so it was neat just reinforced my opinion that the axe was never needed.

I like axes and don't have anything expensive so I feel I could (if it came to it) just carry one axe instead of any other cutting implement and be just fine.

If you don't mind using (abusing) your axe you can open tins, dig holes, fell trees, smash rocks, 'kill zombies', cut any cord or material and still carve yourself a little spoon or whatever you like doing.

Could you do that with a folding/bow saw?

I prefer a machete though for it's lightweight yet effective and versatile cutting abilities and I've used both axe and machete for some seriously abusive tasks.

The axe and machete in this picture are both about 8-10 years old and still going strong, I even cut a old kids bike in half with the axe. ;)

AK1.jpg

Or was it that it was easy to clean the cut after the branch had been removed and the weight taken out of the joint?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Really??

i usualy use the old ninja karate chop for jobs like that.

haha, well it waas more than one chop to get through the frame..and the axe needed regrinding afterwards. some tea leaf took my hacksaw so it was all I had.

Or was it that it was easy to clean the cut after the branch had been removed and the weight taken out of the joint?

the branch was about 2 fingers thick and he could have done it with just the saw, the axe wasn't needed.

I guess the axe could be seen as 'old fashioned' with all the light weight folding saws on offer for a fraction of the cost. But I still like them, if not just for the sake of having fun while practicing/using one.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
the branch was about 2 fingers thick and he could have done it with just the saw, the axe wasn't needed.

I guess the axe could be seen as 'old fashioned' with all the light weight folding saws on offer for a fraction of the cost. But I still like them, if not just for the sake of having fun while practicing/using one.

Or was he demonstrating a technique?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE