The anticipated return of a veteran bushscavenger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Good evening all, it's a gloriously fresh evening and I cannot emphasise the extent to which I am relished every tantalising breath of fresh earthy air.

For three months ago, myself, along with two fellow legendary bushmen (who's names I cannot disclose) embarked on a quest to the pacific north west of the USA in the hunt for the famous Sasquatch (big-foot to the lay bushman)

All was well, my bush partners and I had been scavenging for no longer than an hour when my well trained eyes could not miss the half acre of delightful pacific yew through a clearing 200 degrees north of out initial location.
We quickly got to work and within 20 minutes 3 branches with perfect staves had been identified. With the use of various beast catching traps such as snare and dead fall traps, we were delighted to enjoy the nutritional benefits of a healthy fresh elk carcus.

We made base in the shed of an abandoned quarry and contined to carve our bows with the same passion seen in the eyes of a artist in full flow. After a hard 10 hour stint with few breaks in which time I sat behind the shed and continued to compose more songs for my next album named 'album of odes' the bows were finished and I was primed to forage.

On my first day hunting with my newly crafted 90lb draw weight flatbow I was on the trail of a grizzly bear, stalking its every move with my Needle sharp arrows that were ready to mame my unsuspecting prey. I heaved the bow back to full draw, drew and held my breath when an unknown falling object clattered right behind me causing me to jump back and land with both feet in a snapping trap.

The results were horrific, and I was trapped for a week living on floor grub and berries, the species of which I cannot remember.

With the use of Post agreed SOS calls, I was located by my fellow hunters and after conducting some make shift stitches out of elk gut lining. We dumped our bows and with the helping hand of some makeshift crutches i hobbled back to the train station where we got a train to the airport.

I returned and have been battling infection for a week now, I have removed the stitches and gone through 2 litres of home made whiskey sanitising the wound which seems to be healing.

I cannot wait to get back into the bush and get over my fear of flare traps.

Many thanks my friends.

Boatnose 'snare trap Houdini' panbow

udamiano

On a new journey
Very, shall we say entertaining yarns! or is the word fables. I especially like the bit about hunting bear with a bow, and trapping Elk, seen many Elk have you?, the being caught in the said same trap in bear country for a week was a great plot line! certainly a good bedtime read.
Thanks for the amusing story

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Reminds me of a time I was fishing for yellowfin tuna. We arrived at lake Windermere early one Wednesday morning. The locals were astounded at our modern clothing and tools, I exchanged a BIC lighter with the village elder for nice bowl of dodo casserole.

We rowed out into the lake for our days fishing. As dusk approached all hell broke loose. We hit an iceberg and the boat capsized, my fellow fishermen were lost to the water, but luckily, I held onto the side of the upturned boat with my teeth.
My jaw was aching after 12 hours, until finally I freed my hands from the motorcycle leather trousers pockets.
For 6 weeks I survived on a diet of fish fingers and chips, until finally, a passing jet skier rescued me.
I have not returned to the lake district since.

sent from my Jelly Bean'd galaxy nexus.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Reminds me of a time I was fishing for yellowfin tuna. We arrived at lake Windermere early one Wednesday morning. The locals were astounded at our modern clothing and tools, I exchanged a BIC lighter with the village elder for nice bowl of dodo casserole.

We rowed out into the lake for our days fishing. As dusk approached all hell broke loose. We hit an iceberg and the boat capsized, my fellow fishermen were lost to the water, but luckily, I held onto the side of the upturned boat with my teeth.
My jaw was aching after 12 hours, until finally I freed my hands from the motorcycle leather trousers pockets.
For 6 weeks I survived on a diet of fish fingers and chips, until finally, a passing jet skier rescued me.

I was said jet skier and can testify to the above story. :naughty:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
{Sniggers} You big bullies. You've a secret hankering to be a novelist really havent you boatnose? Good luck matey. ;)

Last edited:

It seems our voyages spanning the globe have lead us to similar fates swright81076!

many thanks

boatnose 'tree bark tinkerer' panbow

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon

you had me going till the bit about the jet skier, never seen such a beast ever in the lakes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE