TGO Challenge 2012 - My Crossing of Scotland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just looked through this again rich, gets better each time :)

A mate of mine is thinking of getting the CDT pack, is there anything you don't like about it? Or a reason not to buy?

Cheers,

Matt

I'm very happy with the CDT Matt, it's my go to pack for most trips, I only got the Ohm for a bit more room for winter trips.

Mine's quite an old model as I picked it up second hand on OM, not sure if they've changed much now. I don't think I'd change anything, maybe some load lifters would be a bonus but for 7-10kg loads I've not missed them.

Great packs

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
When I looked at the photo of your kit on your bed I realised that not only do we have some of the same kit but you also have the same model of bed as me . umm how weird

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I'd managed to miss this up until now, what a great read!

An epic trip and a cracking write up. Thanks for taking me along for the ride.

Do you think you will try the solo attempt you mentioned?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, Ive got some of Shewies kit as well. [Although admittedly it was blatantly copied after reading this thread :rolleyes:]

I got a blue montane fleece, windshirt, and terra goretex overmitts and those OR gaitors.

Mind you, they all came from sports direct in the sale!

When are you gonna do sarek solo then shewie? :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
When I looked at the photo of your kit on your bed I realised that not only do we have some of the same kit but you also have the same model of bed as me . umm how weird

Spooky, that's the spare bed and usually commandeered by our miserable cat

I'd managed to miss this up until now, what a great read!

An epic trip and a cracking write up. Thanks for taking me along for the ride.

Do you think you will try the solo attempt you mentioned?

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it

Defo a solo attempt next time, hopefully next year if I can sweet talk the mrs :)

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm very happy with the CDT Matt, it's my go to pack for most trips, I only got the Ohm for a bit more room for winter trips.

Mine's quite an old model as I picked it up second hand on OM, not sure if they've changed much now. I don't think I'd change anything, maybe some load lifters would be a bonus but for 7-10kg loads I've not missed them.

Great packs

Cheers Rich, passed on your comments and my mates CDT arrived last week, he's very pleased with it :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That's the plan yeah, fingers crossed!

You still hoping to do another some time?

Was planning on applying for next year, if we decide we're off to Canada or the US again I could do with saving the holidays if I'm honest.

If I don't do next year I'll definitely be applying for 2015

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Keep coming back to this to compare gear lists :)

So how's it going, ready for the off yet?

I'm just getting some gear together for a few days in the Lakes at the weekend, looking forward to getting on the tops again. It's a similar gear list to this one but with a few changes now, new pack for a start and I'll probably take meths for the couple of nights. Got some Packit Gourmet meals to try and I can't decide whether to take the DM or TS

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Convinced the wife to let me apply again for 2015!!!! Looking at getting a pair of PHD minimus trousers and an Oookworks Banana Bivi and I'm set- could probably wear the same shoes as they are STILL going strong!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
So how's it going, ready for the off yet?

I'm just getting some gear together for a few days in the Lakes at the weekend, looking forward to getting on the tops again. It's a similar gear list to this one but with a few changes now, new pack for a start and I'll probably take meths for the couple of nights. Got some Packit Gourmet meals to try and I can't decide whether to take the DM or TS

My big dilema too on ground shelters. The monk clone is sooo light but the TS is a proper wind stopping beast with luxury living.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Convinced the wife to let me apply again for 2015!!!! Looking at getting a pair of PHD minimus trousers and an Oookworks Banana Bivi and I'm set- could probably wear the same shoes as they are STILL going strong!

Is ookworks still going. I know there is a big thread of complaints on OM about it currently. Word is hes gone pop????

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
That would be a shame if he has- I know he's had his problems though. The Banana Bivi is ready made according to his site, but I'm not in a position to buy at the moment... Might have to look at alternatives :(

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Well done on getting the pass, I managed to blag 3 weeks to do the Cape Wrath back end of summer, need to get hill fit again first though :) I've got the Minimus smock, got it for a steal on OM, packs tiny and lofts really well like my Minim doss bag. What shoes did you get for your crossing? I went with Salomon Speedcross 3's and they've probably got another challenge in them. I'll wear them for CWT practice over the next few months and buy a new pair for the trip.

My big dilema too on ground shelters. The monk clone is sooo light but the TS is a proper wind stopping beast with luxury living.

I've not tried my Duomid yet, only set it up on day hike in the Trossachs. I've heard it's every bit as strong as the TS but the mild forecast for the weekend might see me take it for a trial run.

Last edited:

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
It was a pair of Salamon ones- had a strange cable lacing system and I had to change one of them to a dyneema lace half way across. Don't remember the actual model though. I'll be sticking with the DuoMid though I do have the option of borrowing a TS.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I went with Salomon Speedcross 3's and they've probably got another challenge in them. I'll wear them for CWT practice over the next few months and buy a new pair for the trip.

Got 5 days in the lakes coming up soon and i'm banging me head against the wall deciding on footwear.

I've got a pair of Salomon XA3D Ultra2's that are mega comfortable, i wear them for most of my hikes over here, but what makes them great for hiking here is the mesh uppers, this is going to mean wet feet in the lakes and even worse the mesh isn't particularly tight so grit tends to get in with any water which turns into grinding paste between my toes.

I do have a few pairs of waterproof hiking boots but on todays hike i didn't half notice the extra weight.

so i would prefer to take the Salomon XA3D Ultra2's but am worried about wet feet.

What do you do?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE