Tentipi alternative...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hi All,

I know there are numerous threads on the subject but I wanted to ensure the information I had was pretty current.

I have a Tentipi Safir 9 cp and love it to bits when I'm in it but less so when I'm carrying it. I'm probably looking to sell it soon and am considering the lightweight version of the same tent.

What I wonder though is are there any other contenders at this size (or slightly larger) that are well specified?

First hand knowledge would be great so if you have something and love it, let me know! If you have something and hate it, let me know more :D

Cheers,
Joe.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Look at the Kifaru and Seekoutside tipis. Very lightweight - for example the 8-man Seekoutside tipi is 16ft diameter, 8.5 ft high and weighs 6.5lb in basic format - 8lb with mossie integrated doorscreens and zip-flap. Kifaru very similar. Kifaru.net and seekoutside.com

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Cheers all... at the moment the Helsport looks like about the best fit for my requirements and is a good price. The Kifaru and Seekoutside seem geared towards the true ultralight market and while I'm sure the fabrics and construction and great, any ultralight fabric and design is going to sacrefice some long term durability or features. I just need to sell the tentipi I think.

At the moment Helsport but still very open to others of a similar design.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I have a Helsport Varanger 8-10 downstairs. The problem for you is I only just got it and havent had chance to test it in anger yet. What I can tell you is if you took the outer only you are looking at carrying 6 kg so not bad. The bag it comes in makes it bulky though it will easily compress to much smaller but you would need to find a compression sack the correct size. The quality and details look great from as much experience as I have (ie little).

Maybe you should say what your aims are? how far you want to walk with it. From everything I have heard the tentipi is the mutts nuts but I generally wouldnt think of taking these tents if I was walking far. Have you though about a small trolley or sled on snow? I read that you sacrifice a bit of air quality in synthetic tipis and more condensation but it depends what you want

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I know whatever I get isn't going to be built like the tentipi... It's like sleeping in NORAD in terms of protection from the elements, there is no condensation and it's quiet. I have had a light weight tentipi before but it was a vagge 7 and I have other tents so managing condensation isn't a problem, nor is walking in with it as it's still nearly 10Kg lighter. The issues with the tentipi are drying it out (I have nowhere so have only used it when dry) and carrying it anywhere other than a few feet from the car boot.

The tentipi is for people who want to know they have the best and car / 4x4 camp or canoe camp a lot. I need something I can stuff inside a pack, even a big pack.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I see you have put the tentipi up already! What Helsport model were you looking at? I know Twodogs has had nearly the whole range maybe he can help you out soon.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Cheers all... at the moment the Helsport looks like about the best fit for my requirements and is a good price. The Kifaru and Seekoutside seem geared towards the true ultralight market and while I'm sure the fabrics and construction and great, any ultralight fabric and design is going to sacrefice some long term durability or features. I just need to sell the tentipi I think.

At the moment Helsport but still very open to others of a similar design.

Although the Kifaru, for example, is very lightweight, it has been proven over several decades in pretty appalling weather - including Everest basecamps, snow-loads and regularly in 60+mph winds, and seems to have survived it all! I think their biggest drawback is that they're probably not suitable for year-round living in, as they will eventually suffer from UV degredation, although they are treated for it. And being single-skin, you will get condensation (unless of course you've got a stove in it, or fit an optional liner). The USA hunting fraternity swear by them, chasing elk in very unpleasant conditions for weeks at a time.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Although the Kifaru, for example, is very lightweight, it has been proven over several decades in pretty appalling weather - including Everest basecamps, snow-loads and regularly in 60+mph winds, and seems to have survived it all! I think their biggest drawback is that they're probably not suitable for year-round living in, as they will eventually suffer from UV degredation, although they are treated for it. And being single-skin, you will get condensation (unless of course you've got a stove in it, or fit an optional liner). The USA hunting fraternity swear by them, chasing elk in very unpleasant conditions for weeks at a time.

I agree with the statement about quality... as you say, loads of people use 'em and swear by them, that wouldn't be the case if they were bad. But they don't have some of the nice features I want such as ventilation I can adjust from inside or options for floors and inner tents.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Sounds like I'm doing a selling job here, so apologies for that - not my intention (and I don't get commission or work for them)! And if you're looking for a heavier-weight tipi, then the back-packable kifaru-style breed aren't for you. But you can get inner tents for them (for example, I'm getting a Seekoutside nest for my new tipi, which has a floor, walls and mossie/no-see-um netting for the "bedroom"). Throw in the 1.5 kilo woodstove and 9ft pipe, and it'll hopefully keep me snug at way below zero (C, not absolute:) ) The downside of course is price - these things - at least the good ones - aren't cheap. But then you are getting a 16ft diameter tipi, centre pole plus stove and stovepipe that weighs about 4kg in total!

The floor thing is very interesting. For over 50 years I've always gone for a floored tent - it seemed silly not to, so much so that I never even considered the alternative. Yet having tried the floorless route, it kinda makes sense now. no more taking off muddy boots before entering the tent, no more mopping up pools of water from rain-soaked clothing or other spills off the groundsheet - and why does it always pool around those places you don't want it to!

Last edited:

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Cant you tell winter is on the way its lavvu thread time :)

Helsport Veranger , crackin tent well made with loads of mossie protection ,

Picture003.jpg

17.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

Twodogs

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
He hehe, I so excited about getti out in cold weather again. How's th winterised G wagon going? I have my eye on a tithouse landy for next year, apparently it time we got rid of the jeep and got some family transports :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE