Tentage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Ok, not normally an item of kit I have any time for but I need to get 4 good 2-3 person tents for my Duke of Edinburgh's Award group to use on all weather expeditions- must be tough, light and if possible a good price- I can go to about £500 total but would prefer a bargain- any suggestions (I can get 20% off at Millets or Blacks if they stock a good un... :?:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Try and find one of the shops which do copies of manufacturers like terra nova or north face. Often they are the same materials and the quality is good but you don't pay for the name or the development costs.

I know that is a bit vague but my example would have been a YHA own brand which was a rip off of the terra nova quasar, exactly the same tent but half the price. The YHA shops went belly up a while ago so I don't think the model exists anymore. Look at Blacks or Millets own brand and maybe compare with a catalogue from terra nova and TNF you will see the copies because even the dimensions will be the same.

I will have a look see if I find any. The main thing to consider is less fancy stuff and more durability as DoE participants can be hard on kit.

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Just had a quick look but Blacks and Millets websites have 4 tents each. Rubbish, why bother having a website if you are not going to put stuff on it.

Anyway cotswold Have this Vaude. 2 person, easton poles and very cheap. A friend had a vaude for years and swore by it. It fits your budget perfectly I think with £20 spare to go to the pub :wink:

Bill

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
just remembered cotswold do 10% for DoE so there's another £50 off now it is well in your budget.

Anyone suggest anything better? Come on I bet you can't.

He waits to be proved wrong now. :naughty:

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
the famous "force ten" is proven time and time again on DofE and ten tors etc.. its a good then easy to erect.. its only down side is its a little on the heavys side.. so you might want to look at something else.. Hillberg are really great tens..

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Just bought several Vango Hurricane 300s about 8 months ago. 3 person 4 season backpackable. They are working out just fine and seem to be standing up to the use we give them. Might be a little bit more expensive than you want but if you look around you should find some deals on them.

George

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
when you say "your DofE group" do you mean an team you are in or you are a DofE leader running a DofE group.. because if you are the latter you should be able to get further disscount i think.. though dont quote me on that

JimFSC said:
I am just setting up a group at my school, to start in September- just wondering if anyone else runs a group and if they want to share ideas?
:wave:
Blue Sky, Jim.

your school should be able to get good disscount from Cotswold etc.. and reclaim VAT

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE