Tent and Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a two man tent currently and when its wet i hate not having an area outside to sit in that is dry. Does anyone use a tarp over or next to their tent to provide a haven from the rain.

I was considering getting the DD 3x4.5 which should get me a nice area to put my chair and bits n bobs. If anyone has pics of this setup i would love to see them.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah I use one for camping or long stays over in France etc. The big DD does a grand job, I picked up a couple of pairs of steel Vango poles off ebay which give me loads of pitching options.

Bored in France ..
DSC01126.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yeah I use one for camping or long stays over in France etc. The big DD does a grand job, I picked up a couple of pairs of steel Vango poles off ebay which give me loads of pitching options.

Bored in France ..
DSC01126.jpg

yea that's just what im thinking of Shewie. Hopefully there will be some strategically placed trees to take the lines but some poles would be a good call just in case

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I have a DD tarp that lives in the van. It makes a great sun and rain awning and then is used as normal tarp with walking poles when up in the mountains. A good tip I picked up here was to buy two clothes props from Wilkinsons to use as poles when using the van. I thank whoever it was every time I put it up.

forestwalker

In Lars Monsens "Nordkalotten 365" he several times use a tent and tarp combo. Presumably since it gives him better shelter (wind, mosquitos) and still space to sit and enjoy the view. I'd be tempted in terrain where I could not trust being able to use tha tarp, but expected to be able some times (and only when canoeing due to the extra weight).

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
This is a True North Big Tarp (4.5m x 3m) set up onto a Vango Peace 500 tent, with a 3m x 3m polytarp providing extra shade/cover at the other end...

Peace500tnbt.jpg

Roy

Nov 19, 2008
Liverpool
Most of the Tarp set ups above ,with the exception of the last, to me seem the wrong way round.
If it was raining the water would be directed towards the tent doorway rather than away to the sides.
Just my take on it though, others may differ.
Roy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE