tapeworm in rabbits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
heres a couple of pics of tapeworm cysts Dave found while prepping the rabbits for dinner last weekend. he said they are the worst he has seen,

and before you ask , no we did not eat this one:yikes:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Wow, those are very informative images! I never realised they got so big! I sometimes worry about missing them and ending up eating one but you couldn't very well miss that could you!

Thanks for showing us, very interesting!

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Blimey these are informative. I was under the impression that tapeworms are gut dwellers. Is it right then that they lay the eggs in the front of the rear thigh?

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I had a quick browse about as I didn't know much about this.

I found this (and yes, there are more images so not while you're eating:yuck: )
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26630--,00.html

It does say
Cysticercosis does not harm the meat of rabbits and hares, or make it unfit for human consumption. Adult tapeworms of these species do not occur in humans. Cysts are usually removed when rabbits are dressed out; any that might be overlooked are destroyed in cooking the meat.

Undoubtedly, many rabbits are unnecessarily discarded because hunters confuse cysticercosis with "white spots on the liver," so greatly publicized as evidence of a tularemia infection. However, the two are distinctly different, and the cysts can be readily differentiated from tularemia lesions.

There are records of human cysticercosis involving M. serialis. Such infections can only arise from swallowing the eggs passed in the feces by infected carnivores. Wildlife personnel working with foxes, coyotes, wolves, and other canids, especially if they are handling scat samples, should be careful to not expose themselves to or contaminate laboratories with tapeworm eggs.

I don't fancy it much though!
Cheers,
Steve

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I took a rabbit home once that my dogs caught and was going to eat it but found a tapeworm that must have been about 10 inches long. Rank. I didn't eat it either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE