SWC/ Ray Mears Bushcraft Knife - Re-handled

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Right, this is about to go pic heavy. Sorry for everybody that knows the process already!

Photo0220-1.jpg

This was what I sent Martin to make sure he was happy with the Reindeer antler I had before starting.

Photo0232.jpg

Once he gave me the green light I added runny ca glue to fill the pithy bit and kept sanding it flat before adding liners.

Photo0241.jpg

Here's the original.

Photo0245.jpg

Taped up immediately to avoid any dings :rolleyes:

Photo0246.jpg

Scary bit done, scales removed. This made my bum go tight as it wasn't my knife!

Photo0254.jpg

I tried to get a couple step bits in the right size for this but failed miserably. I ended up doing it by hand and eye on a pillar drill and ground the bit for the larger hole flat to avoid the angled shoulders inside that could crack the scales when the loveless bolts are tightened. Worked alright but certainly wasn't easy.

Photo0259.jpg

All ready to assemble and the epoxy just needs mixing.

Photo0260.jpg

Metal cleaned, liners roughed up and epoxy poured.

Photo0266.jpg

Photo0267.jpg

Bolts tightened and it gets clamped for a couple days and I was left with this.

Photo0338.jpg

Sadly I didn't take any pictures of the interesting bit which is shaping the handle scales. I used a rasp and file to rough shape it then hand sanded. Once the main shape is there I tend to clamp the blade in a vice and cut long strips of 120 grit sandpaper and buff it to the desired size. I then do the same through to 1000 grit and take it to the polishing wheel.

Photo0339.jpg

Photo0343-1.jpg

Photo0340.jpg

Of course there are smarter faster ways to do this, like buy a linisher. I really should oneday but I enjoy using hand tools and elbow grease wherever possible for some reason. Thanks for looking and enjoy the knife Martin!

No, sorry, they look horrible, terrible job, all wrong. wrong wrong wrong.
I mean, look at the shape, the blade is all wrong.

Tell you what, I'll do you a favour and take them off your hands for a tenner, and I'm being generous there, you don't want them cluttering up your workshop do you?

Jealousy is a terrible thing :)

Seriously, nice work there., very nice work.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
That looks so amazing, I so want to by a ray mears knife, I've got name on the waiting list but I may need to by a ray mears knife to fill my needs while I wait.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE