Survivalist vs Bushcrafter, a Conversation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 26, 2012
United States
by Kevin McGee

Survivalist: Nature wants to kill me. I have to be determined and fight so I will win and stay alive.

Bushcrafter: Nature is very powerful and it makes a much better friend than enemy. I accept my role as part of nature, I work with it instead of against it. Making responsible use of nature's abundant resources has become part of my own nature.

Survivalist: I like a big knife.

Bushcrafter: I find that a small knife is best for making the things you will need to live in the wild.

Survivalist: All these gadgets will help me survive.

Bushcrafter: I've practiced using the few well-chosen, durable and versatile items in my kit. The skills to use them properly have become second nature to me.

Survivalist: I've learned lots of survival tips.

Bushcrafter: I try to gain a deep understanding of nature so that I can predict what will happen in many different situations, this helps me to make the right decisions.

Survivalist: The guys on the survival shows always seem cold and hungry. But as long as they are alive they have succeeded.

Bushcrafter: Stone-age people are not always cold and hungry, they live in relative comfort using only primitive technology and natural materials. I try to learn the skills and methods they use.

Survivalist: I only need to stay alive for a few days until I can be rescued.

Bushcrafter: Rescue may never come. I'd rather learn to be self-sufficient enough to possibly not need rescuing at all.

(Can you think of any more? Comments and additions are welcome)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE