Survival in the South West

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi everyone, I have just started getting into camping and bushcraft (in no small part due to Ray Mears!) and was wondering if anyone could recommend any areas in the south west worth exploring. One thing that I am trying to find out about is the policy on fire lighting in the great outdoors. I understand that you sometimes need to contact landowners, but how would you go about discovering who the landowner is? Are there any areas where you can simply go to and explore, light and clean up fires responsibly and camp where you would like to with out having to contact a landowner and with out breaking the law? Please excuse my ignorance I'm pretty new to all this!

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Hi everyone, I have just started getting into camping and bushcraft (in no small part due to Ray Mears!) and was wondering if anyone could recommend any areas in the south west worth exploring. One thing that I am trying to find out about is the policy on fire lighting in the great outdoors. I understand that you sometimes need to contact landowners, but how would you go about discovering who the landowner is? Are there any areas where you can simply go to and explore, light and clean up fires responsibly and camp where you would like to with out having to contact a landowner and with out breaking the law? Please excuse my ignorance I'm pretty new to all this!

I'm in the same position as you actually, I'll follow this thread with interest.
One thing I do know is that there's nowhere you can go to camp and light fires without the landowner's permission legally. On Dartmoor you can wild camp, but you must have some sort of stove to cook, no open fires. That's pretty much the extent of freedom I think!
Whereabouts in the South west are you?

leon-1

Whare Can you go?

Good question, there are plenty of areas that you could explore (the Dart Valley and Dartmoor as just a couple), but most of the time you will require the landowners permission.

Who's the landowner?

Try your local land registry or even ask in the local pub (normally a good source of information). One of the others was asking questions about this the other day and someone said speak to the local council, I believe that worked out for him.

Fire????

Large can of worms comes to mind. I tried looking into the rights and wrongs of fire a while ago, what I eventually found was that most legislation to do with fire was set by local authorities (district and county councils) a lot of them are byelaws.

You can start fire on land that you have permission to use with the landowners permission is a reasonable rule to go by, there are also bushcraft friendly campsites that will allow open fires.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Welcome Brokenman, good to hear from another South West Bushcrafter!

You might want to checkout Woodland Valley in Laddock in Cornwall. Chris is a friendly landowner and organic farmer who happily allows you to camp anywhere throughout his woodland. I think the going rate is £5 per night and he lets you do everything! Camp, fires, fish, hunt etc.

Its just a matter of making new contacts and finding gems like the one above, I started to compile a list of 'Bushcraft Friendly' campsites on my site: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft-friendly-campsites.htm#Woodland Valley When I say Bushcraft friendly I pretty much consider the minimum requirement to have fires and then you can no doubt get away with a few other little bushcraft'y activities to :)

As for camping in the south-west; next week im off to Dartmoor for a few days, it'll be my first solo camp :sulkoff: I will be staying near to Dartmeet, along the river dart, its a bit of a valley so may infact be the Dart valley mentioned by leon-1.

leon-1

As for camping in the south-west; next week im off to Dartmoor for a few days, it'll be my first solo camp :sulkoff: I will be staying near to Dartmeet, along the river dart, its a bit of a valley so may infact be the Dart valley mentioned by leon-1.

Yes it is indeed, Dartmeet is where the East and West Dart meet before continuing down through Holne Chase and eventually exiting Dartmoor and heading off towards Totnes and then finally Dartmouth. The whole thing can be classed as the Dart Valley, it's a nice walk when you're in the sticks and if you have access to a canoe I would imagine even better.

If you get a chance have a good look up and around Holne Chase whilst you are there, it's a lovely area.

Allie

Need to contact Admin...
May 4, 2008
South west
Wow, I didn't know you could camp near Dartmeet - that where-you-can-camp map on the website is very confusing!

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Yes it is indeed, Dartmeet is where the East and West Dart meet before continuing down through Holne Chase and eventually exiting Dartmoor and heading off towards Totnes and then finally Dartmouth. The whole thing can be classed as the Dart Valley, it's a nice walk when you're in the sticks and if you have access to a canoe I would imagine even better. If you get a chance have a good look up and around Holne Chase whilst you are there, it's a lovely area.
Thats cool. I've stayed a few times at Lucky Tor before, thats a beautiful tor just down from Dartmeet on the river Dart. Many years ago I read the legislation on camping to sus'up if I could stay near Lucky Tor, everything looked fine and I had done in the past a few times, however the last time I travelled there to camp there was a sign saying "No Camping or Fires" which was a fat lot of good seeing as I just travelled 70 miles to get there! I think they've put there foot down at camping right near the Tor because of people scoring the lovely grass infront of it with their camp-fires. I just walked a few hundred feet away from the sign and pitched up. As far as I knew I was alright to do so.

On Tuesday I plan to go there again, starting at Dartmeet carpark and following the river Dart for 5 miles or so, passing Lucky Tor and onwards to a new place I haven't visited yet; 'Spitchwick Common'. Looks like there's large areas of woodland all around it. Its going to be a new experience for me going solo, something im looking forward to yet nervous about at the same time.

I'm in the same position as you actually, I'll follow this thread with interest.
One thing I do know is that there's nowhere you can go to camp and light fires without the landowner's permission legally. On Dartmoor you can wild camp, but you must have some sort of stove to cook, no open fires. That's pretty much the extent of freedom I think!
Whereabouts in the South west are you?

I'm based in Bristol but I'm really keen to get out there and start discovering stuff. I have a 2 year old son and I just really want to be able to show him what his natural environment is like and how to survive in it when he grows up a bit!

Welcome Brokenman, good to hear from another South West Bushcrafter!

You might want to checkout Woodland Valley in Laddock in Cornwall. Chris is a friendly landowner and organic farmer who happily allows you to camp anywhere throughout his woodland. I think the going rate is £5 per night and he lets you do everything! Camp, fires, fish, hunt etc.

Its just a matter of making new contacts and finding gems like the one above, I started to compile a list of 'Bushcraft Friendly' campsites on my site: http://www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk/bushcraft-friendly-campsites.htm#Woodland Valley When I say Bushcraft friendly I pretty much consider the minimum requirement to have fires and then you can no doubt get away with a few other little bushcraft'y activities to :)

Your list is great, please keep it up, its so useful for everyone! I'll be sure to let you know of any campsites like this that I might find.

May 24, 2008
Weston Super Mare
I live in Weston Super Mare and have used most of my local woods for several years to practice my bushcrafting. (not lighting fires mind). Most of the time once you get off the well trodden footpaths you never see anybody. Dogs are the biggest problem. But to set up a tarp and or hammock. Parctice other bushcraft skills and cooking over a stove should not cause you too many problems.

I am a member of the Woodland Trust and I have been told as long as I am not cutting down trees and do not leave shelters up when I leave they have no problems with me camping in their woods. I do not have that in writing though.

I have recently sourced permission from a local farmer to use his small woodland which adjoins a much larger woodland. So now I can camp, build fires, and still go foraging through the much larger wood.

I would suggest that you buy the relevant OS map. Look for the wooded area you are interested in. See if there are any farms neighbouring it and go on to the farm and ask. Thats what I have done. I have also obtained permission at another farm for my daughter to fly and exercise her Bengal Eagle Owl. In my experience most farmers are pretty freindly folk. Just obey their rules and a thank you every now and again does not hurt. Even a thank you card goes a long way.

Remeber when in the woods take nothing but photos and leave nothing but footprints.

Hope this has given some avenues to follow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE