surplus and adventure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
well i should have learned when my first order took a while to get delivered but this latest one takes the p**S i ordered some gear in november and received one item after a week or so the rest to follow including clothes and boots etc. Hassling them almost twice a week since then.. we are waiting for your boots should be here by end of week etc so i said yeah yeah only last week i decided enough was enough and said cancel the boots and send my other stuff oh some of those items aren't there either so i said cancel the whole order and now i haven't heard zip....

the question is who can i report them too to put some pressure on them for a refund?

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Go to your Citizens Advice and in future use the search function! S&A are OK, but their delivery and customer service is atrocious, as is well documented here (hence my comment on the search function). Did you order with your Credit Card? I think they can do a Charge back or something or other. Speak to your bank if you used your debit card.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
I'd advise against using Citizen's advice whenever possible, you're getting legal advice from people with no legal training whatsoever. I know of many cases of people being given incorrect advice by them, they're just volunteer lay persons after all and usually have little experience or knowledge of the law. I had an experience similar to yours and with the same company. After speaking to a solicitor that owed me a couple of favours I wrote them an email stating that they were in breach of contract and unless I received a refund within 5 working days I would be taking my case to the small claims court and informing trading standards. I had a refund within 48 hours. Give it a try, it usually works.
The real trouble with this firm is they're temptingly priced. I'd only consider dealing with them again if I could walk into the shop and physically select my own goods personally. I ordered a shedload of stuff and all that arrived were 4 pairs of combats. In 2 different sizes unfortunately! Beyond useless.

...That with my problematic order; it was one of the few times I used a credit card instead of a debit card. I called my bank up and put the process in motion. It took an age, but S&A eventually refunded my cash, probably due to the strong letter from my bank. I use my credit card for all interenet transactions now. The protection is well worth it.

How can anyone enjoy working for/running Surplus & Adventure? I would imagine morale must be pretty bad, given the amount of bad press, complaints and threats of CCJs.

The bushcraft/outdoors market is generally made up of a nice bunch of people who (given value for money) will spend their disposable income with ease with reputable and ethical companies.

It's a pity S&A haven't the nouse to cotton onto this fact! Shut your doors S&A: Britain doesn't need you.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Britain could do without these shops certainly but we have plenty of people who have read about the terrible service still buying from the company (until they get bitten). :rolleyes:

I for one wouldn't give them a penny and have not purchased anything from them in the past, if we all done the same, there wouldn't be companies like Sn'A in existence.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Whilst my encounters with S&A are limited to two experiences, i know how you feel. The first order everything arrived after a week or so, the second, i got one item out of six and a very unprofessional note, which said that my items were out of stock. Do they deal out of a child's tree-house or something? Everyone i've spoken to has had problems of this variety with them. I honestly think that trading standards should put them out of business, or make them an offer they can't refuse (godfather style).

May 19, 2010
Bristol
I cannot believe I have only just found this thread. I ordered a pair of Vintage Airbourne Cargo's from S&A last Thur which cost me a small fortune, especially with the rip-off delivery charges as well, but as a big guy, I haven't found anywhere else that make cargo's/combat's big enough to fit my shapely (yes, round is a shape) figure. After reading this thread, I think I will keep an eye on the post, and as soon as their 28 days are up, I shall be sending them a rather unpleasant letter, especially after the way the woman on the phone spoke to me this morning :yikes:... There are some advantages to working in a Law Firm :)

Simon

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I've previously posted on this but they tried to rip me off face to face in the shop. They take your online order even if out of stock and gradually fulfil the order over time. C.mon, if the guy behind the counter sports a Mora on his belt when serving customers it just shows how un-professional they are doesn't it ? They must be doing something right but god knows what as they've got 2 stores now !!

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I cannot believe I have only just found this thread. I ordered a pair of Vintage Airbourne Cargo's from S&A last Thur which cost me a small fortune, especially with the rip-off delivery charges as well, but as a big guy, I haven't found anywhere else that make cargo's/combat's big enough to fit my shapely (yes, round is a shape) figure. After reading this thread, I think I will keep an eye on the post, and as soon as their 28 days are up, I shall be sending them a rather unpleasant letter, especially after the way the woman on the phone spoke to me this morning :yikes:... There are some advantages to working in a Law Firm :)

Simon
If it helps but I bought a pair of Vintage fatigues from this company, There was a slight delay because of an order issue but they did sort it out quickly, Happy in the end.

http://www.transatlantic.co.uk/acatalog/Airborne-Vintage-.html

Last edited:

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
I've previously posted on this but they tried to rip me off face to face in the shop. They take your online order even if out of stock and gradually fulfil the order over time. C.mon, if the guy behind the counter sports a Mora on his belt when serving customers it just shows how un-professional they are doesn't it ? They must be doing something right but god knows what as they've got 2 stores now !!

Andy, people just don't learn :rolleyes: I can understand the likes of Craven as he has only just found this thread but others who have experience of this abominable service and still buy, need their heads examined...in my opinion. :)

Adrian

Forager
Aug 5, 2005
South East London
I have to say, I've only bought from S&A twice - it was cold weather stuff I needed in a hurry, and they seemed to have when no-one else did. After speaking to them on the phone, I made the trip to their place to buy in person as I didn't feel confident to buy either over the phone or the net. The kit was in excellent condition, and I was very happy with it - did the job very well:) but the attitude of most of the staff there (except for one guy who was very helpful) made me glad I'd gone in person.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Yep, I've already posted about my trouble with this company, took weeks and weeks for my stuff to arrive and when it did arrive it appeared to be someone else's order which was similar to mine!

Aug 19, 2010
gloucestershire
I wish i found this site before i made an order with them. I ordered a jacket from them as a birthday present that was over five weeks ago, I have contacted twice and each time they said "sorry but it has not arrived yet". I said " Thanks for notifying me that there was a delay and you can stick your jacket as the birthday was three weeks ago". I would never deal with them again.

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I wish i found this site before i made an order with them. I ordered a jacket from them as a birthday present that was over five weeks ago, I have contacted twice and each time they said "sorry but it has not arrived yet". I said " Thanks for notifying me that there was a delay and you can stick your jacket as the birthday was three weeks ago". I would never deal with them again.

Sorry to hear that, it seems they have no concept of putting an "out of stock" sign on their website and just hope that whatever it is they need will turn up.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn

which is their other store? i only ask as a store in kidderminster with a website called surplus and outdoors which used to be a store called langars, has an identicle website and i often wonder if these two are affiliated. i have ordered several things from surplus and outdoors formerley langars with no problem, but don't ever go in when passing now as the shop seems to have shrunk to accomodate web service and the stock is plastic pants new stuff, no bins to rumage in worth the salt. as langars, i spent so much in there i should have had shares! they had two stores then also, one in kiddy and one in brierly hill, and they were old school surplus. sorry going off topic now.
is surplus and adventure operating 2 stores of the same name? if not who is the other so as best to avoid!!?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE