Surgical spirit for feet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Don't have so much as a problem with blisters as my feet drying out and cracking which gets to be quite painful at times. I got myself a big pot of Aqueos cream from boots, which is liqid parrafin and white soft parrafin. Went down to Dr's today and he has now prescribed it for me :)

I have you thought about using urine, I am not taking the p***. Works really well on cracked heals, so does fullers earth cream.

P

Passer

I have you thought about using urine, I am not taking the p***. Works really well on cracked heals, so does fullers earth cream.
I've used suncream in desperation, worked reasonably well.

Fell Monkey

Tenderfoot
Apr 4, 2012
South Cheshire
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but can't think what other section it would come under. Basically, I've read and heard that before you do any serious trekking where the likelyhood of blisters is high its good to use surgical spirit on your feet to toughen the skin, is this true?

I have used surgical spirits previously for "toughening skin". Dependent on how seasoned your feet are, yes it can harden the skin. You may still experience blisters, which could end up worse and less maintainable due to unpenatrable skin. I have problems with my heel sides, which eventually end up blood blistered. The key is to maintenance regardless, I use vaseline on my feet, but still expect problems. Lets face it, our feet werent designed to be used in footwear.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
now blister prevention is some thing i know about, you need 2 pairs of socks, 1st thin cotton sports type 2nd thicker walking type, good boots well broken in are a must. predict when a blister is coming, if you get a hot spot or start to get sore STOP, there and then, tape up with surgical tape, dont be shy with it either. have some compede plasters for back up, they really do work very well if a little expensive. dry and wash feet every night and powder with talk, anti fungal is best, when walking round camp flip flops or crock type shoes are best, they allow the feet to air out dry out and allow your boots to dry out too..

if your boots get wet during the day pack them with news paper or those travel micro fibre towels over night, it will make all the difference the next day. also where possible use gaters in long grass and wet conditions, you look like a plank but they do help keep boots and feet much dryer....

hope this helps

chris.

ps did 186 miles in 5 day, 30 lb pack the other year, no blisters...;) jobs a fish..:):):)

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
The problem with wearing two pairs of socks is that it will reduce the amount of wiggle room in the boots, leading to blisters and pressure under toenails, even more so when the feet swell or a load is carried (which lengthens the foot) or you are running downhill (which causes your toes to impact the end of the shoe).

My advice for long distance trekking would be to wear trail shoes one size or half-size bigger then your usual and wear one pair of the best socks you can afford (with spares of the same type).

I've done a fair bit of long distance trekking and some ultra's, some of it professionally, so I have seen what works and what leads to injury.

Obviously, everyone is different so the key is to experiment and find what works for you.

Luke.

Mar 20, 2013
Heartfordshire
My dad ex-military and us at cadets we use surgical spirit on our feet when doing long walks, but it has to be built up other time not just before the walk. People also wrap areas that they get hot-spots with zinc oxide tape but of done wrong you will get more blisters. Boot wise you are probably best of with a pair of waterproof Magnum boots never had a problem with them, and socks, get the type that are not tube type that have the stitching at the end because they will kill your feet, normally ski socks are good because they are tight. If you wear a pair of thinner sock underneath that will also reduce rubbing which will stop blisters, and never take your boots of mid way thought a walk you won't get them back on because of the pain, it is best just to grit and bare it.
I have never had major blisters using this methods Evan on a four day walk in Belgium.
Hope this helps.
Luke

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE