Suggestions for First Aid Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I thought it was about time I started taking a first aid kit out with me and was thinking about contents. Does anyone have any recommendations for pre-packed kits or making one up yourself? I suppose that if you get a pre-packed one, then it has its own pouch /container to hold everything in, but I'm generally wary of pre-prepared kits for anything, as I am suspicious that they are overpriced for what you get in them.

I'm primarily looking for something for day trips or weekends on foot just for myself (so I don't want to carry too much), so the most likely occurrences are going to be cuts or burns.

I was thinking on the lines of:

plasters
bandages (or possibly a first field dressing) & safety pins & micropore (or similar) tape
sterile wipes /antiseptic (e.g. savlon)
burn cream
painkillers
compeed /moleskin (and I suppose scissors for cutting this)

****added from follow-up postings****
syringe for pressure flushing wounds
tweezers for splinters /ticks
emergency contact details
gaffer tape (possibly!!!)

Thanks in advance. I bet that as soon as I post this I'll think of something else to include.

Geoff

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
small syringe (for pressure flushing wounds etc), tweezers (ticks, splinters etc).

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
gaffa/ duck tape for holding major cuts together Also its that strong it works if you need to make a splint .i know i will get jumped on for saying that but its what i have done for years and it works better than micropore when wet. ( hurts like hell when you come to take it off)

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
A waterproof card with emergency contact numbers, blood group, dates of inoculations (such as tetanus, MMR, hepatitis, etc), allergies to any medications.

Dr O

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Surgical gloves, a plastic disposable mouth - mouth resuscitation aid, and alcohol wipes are all good to carry in your kit!:)

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
You really want some latex gloves in your kit if there is a chance you'll be dealing with other peoples wounds, you must think about your own health & safety before anyone elses.
Along the same lines, if you're trained in CPR carry a resus mask.

Rather than carrying a syringe, Smarty told us a good one at Easter - sterilise a feather in boiling water and use the tip to gently clean out a wound.

j

Edit - Doh, too slow...... :rolleyes:

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
The syringe is good for flushing out eyes etc as well, which I'd personally prefer to a feather myself. Good tip though.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Not trying to hijack the thread but have heard people say burn cream but never seen any?
Are we talking about something which cools a burn?
As that is a good addition to my fak...Also antiseptic wipes or cream?
Got the sachet type wipes which seem less messy?!
D

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Dr Onion said:
A waterproof card with emergency contact numbers, blood group, dates of inoculations (such as tetanus, MMR, hepatitis, etc), allergies to any medications.

Dr O

This came up in another forum and there was some debate wether medics would pay any attention to any written medical information. Definately be interested to hear from a medic on the subject.

Gailainne

Life Member
In addition to the normal type plasters I always have the butterfly suture type, from personal and camping experience, injurys to hands, joints are common, and you want a plaster that will grip and give, and wrap around weird shapes :).
I also carry a collins first aid book.

However the best first aid you can take is training, do a course, log on to St Johns or similar, there are courses being run all the time. I'm off on some Bushcraft courses next month, and I'll be taking a refresher course before I go.

Appologies if I got into preaching mode a bit there :eek:

Stephen

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Jared said:
This came up in another forum and there was some debate wether medics would pay any attention to any written medical information. Definately be interested to hear from a medic on the subject.

Hey! You're hearing this from a certified doctor! (Alright maybe just certified!!)

:lmao: :p :D 1

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Dr Onion said:
Hey! You're hearing this from a certified doctor! (Alright maybe just certified!!)

:lmao: :p :D 1

Ah, apologies, wasn't too sure from the nick :)

Well its just seems alittle odd, if someone needs blood urgently, a medic isn't going to rifle through belongings.

And if going to make a card, I imagine sealing a passport photo in with it, so if a medic does see it, they can be fairly sure it does belong to the patient.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
janiepopps said:
You really want some latex gloves in your kit if there is a chance you'll be dealing with other peoples wounds, you must think about your own health & safety before anyone elses.
Along the same lines, if you're trained in CPR carry a resus mask.

Rather than carrying a syringe, Smarty told us a good one at Easter - sterilise a feather in boiling water and use the tip to gently clean out a wound.

j

Edit - Doh, too slow...... :rolleyes:
Please try to avoid latex these days - there are many out there with latex allergies - get nitrile if you can.

For me, I hate micrpore and use old fashioned plaster on a roll. For me it goes like this when "crafting"

Stuff the fancy stuff. You need to be able to patch it up well enough to get a professional on the job! So yes I guess disinfectant is good, but for me thats for minor nicks and cuts that I don't want to call off the trip for. As soon as a medium or larger dressing is in play, they are getting "medivaced" any way and antibiotics, tetanus etc will be given by the pros.

So, I'm trying to treat:

cuts and grazes and prevent infections (Good plasters, tubigauze, melolin, antispetic)
blisters (water gel, moleskin etc)
upset stomach (immodium, rehydration salts)
headaches (painkiller of choice)
stings and bites (antihis' both tablet and topical)
prevention - insect repellant
Splinters (needles, tweezers etc)
Ticks (get a proper tool - dammit - lost mine - anyone got a link again?)
Eyes (sparks etc.) - Get some sealed ampoules of irrigation medium

Short term major trauma - some medium dressings, traingular bandage, FFD, safety pins etc

Barriers (mouth to mouth, gloves etc.)

Red

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Jared said:
Ah, apologies, wasn't too sure from the nick :)

Well its just seems alittle odd, if someone needs blood urgently, a medic isn't going to rifle through belongings.

And if going to make a card, I imagine sealing a passport photo in with it, so if a medic does see it, they can be fairly sure it does belong to the patient.

It's all good my friend - I'm just yanking your chain - I'm really not a doctor - unless a Doctor of LUUURVE counts!! :D :lmao:

I can see your point about rifling through belongings to find info, but I like the idea of having a passport photo attached to it! Nice one!

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
i think the best bit of first aid equipment i have in my pack is a first aid book, you can still forget some of your first aid training if your half way up a mountain and something happens, and the advice i was told and still follow, never take anything you don't know how to use properly as that could do more harm.
other than that theres been some really good advice already given :D

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
A plastic bag works the same as a syringe. Fill water with bag, poke small hole in one corner, and squeeze. Works very well.

kai055

Forager
Dec 29, 2006
Hornchurch
from thursday lidls have a 40 piece firt aid kit for a fiver it also has more stuff than the argos one and is half the price

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
At risk of sounding like I'm plugging ( again ) the First Aid Course - but Wayne and me are on cuddling terms.... ;)

Not sure from original posting if first aid trained or not - so advance apologies if preaching to converted.

My kit as looked at with fresh eyes following the course - and surprisingly reduced rather than expanded ( talking every day outdoor carry kit ). The combined opportunity to discuss/ learn about latest treatment ideas and more importantly chance to practise hands-on was incredibly useful.

My jacket pocket now carries ( for general bushcraft and stalking ) -

1. Nitrile Gloves ( kinky purple )
2. 'space' blanket
3. 2/3 dressings med & large
4. conforming bandage
5. Assorted fabric plasters
6. Povidone/ Tisept antiseptic pods
7. saline pods ( would go for syringe if not saline pods )
8. Celox
9. O'Tom tick puller ( Lymes is rife up here )
10. Tweezers/ small scissors/ mirror
11. Anti-hyst, aspirin, ibuprofen
12. Water-jel & cling film/ plastic
13. Safety pins, needle
14. Zantac ( clients give me indigestion - I only eat the ones that dont tip )
15. Aid Memoire card issued on above mentioned course.

( going from memory here so E & OE )

All fits now in one side of Lifesystems Compact FAK pouch and weighs about the same as 10 rounds of 6.5x55/ 30-06 in opposite pocket.

But best/ most useful item is knowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE