Suffolk Bushcraft Group

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

River98

Forager
Feb 3, 2012
england
Hi lads still not sure if im going to make the next meet but will try.

Enjoyed your vid si nice one.

Also im sharping my home knifes on a wet block. What angle should I be using?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast

I sharpen my kitchen knives at 15deg, but different knives require different angles, and mine are chef's knives.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

If you work on about 22 degrees you will not be far off best way to find out is to lay the knife flat then raise it up to the bevel every time you draw it across the block, you will soon find the right angle for your knife, whats the blade like ie is it a single wide bevel or does it have a micro (small) bevel on the kife edge?

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Looks like it's going to be me alone on the overnighter tomorrow. Personally I think the weather's not going to be a problem... and if it is... well, I have tarps and ponchos, a hot water bottle and a fluffy cover (no bunny ears, sadly).
I'll make the best of it :)

Also, there's a gas-powered patio heater in the shack, and enough firewood to keep a camp fire going for a year... I'm certainly not going to be cold :)

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I have Just requested a 2 Nighter at Orchards for the 5th and 6th April 2013, so the date is provisional until conformation from Orchards. I thought it might be nice to get there on friday night as there will be more light as the clocks go forward - I am going straight from work, but arrival after midday is good.

All Welcome, Experienced, Newbies, Tree and Ground Dwellers.

I will be getting thee about 2pm on Friday 1st March.

http://www.orchardcampsite.co.uk/

The charge is £5 pppn.
There is wood that can be brought on site £7 per barrow - (cost divided amongst whole group.

There will be a Saturday Group Meal, Last time was a Beef Stew and Dumplings, cost of last time came to £3.00 each. (will try to keep to the same sort of cost...but thats down to how much it cost from the Supermarket....) - of course you can cater yourself if you require.

There is a Toilet Block (showers and toilets), open and water is available from Taps on the site,

Of course photo's being taken is ok....

And Fluffy Hot water bottles/slippers are welcome.....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

I you plan to attend then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meal, and if you would like to stay the Friday

List of Attending
1. Big Stu -Group Meal - 2 nights

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Just thought I would drop by and say hello to you all.

It would be great to put some faces to names and I will try to make the next meet.

I live in Brandon and grew up not far from Glade School and Knappers Way but went to Forest School.

Welcome to the thead, as with everyone your welcome at the fireside anytime, all we ask is for everyone to take part and enjoy, its a great place to learn, pass on skills, and have a good giggle.....

Keep your eye on the thread and chat, I look forward to meeting you soon.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Tony...

I have asked Orchard if we can do some archery at the next meet....... Fingers crossed

Paul

I ve got your file by the way.... Bring your axe to the next meeting mate, ill try to bodge it up for you... Lol

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I'd love to get to the next meet but April the 6th I'm in London doing the GoRuck Challenge!

Wait what now? You can get the GoRuck in the UK? PLEASE link me to where! I've been coverting a GR2 for quite some time (and as you may have noticed, I'm something of a "pack rat")

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
I have Just requested a 2 Nighter at Orchards for the 5th and 6th April 2013, so the date is provisional until conformation from Orchards. I thought it might be nice to get there on friday night as there will be more light as the clocks go forward - I am going straight from work, but arrival after midday is good.

The charge is £5 pppn.
There is wood that can be brought on site £7 per barrow - (cost divided amongst whole group.

There will be a Saturday Group Meal, Last time was a Beef Stew and Dumplings, cost of last time came to £3.00 each. (will try to keep to the same sort of cost...but thats down to how much it cost from the Supermarket....) - of course you can cater yourself if you require.

There is a Toilet Block (showers and toilets), open and water is available from Taps on the site,

Of course photo's being taken is ok....

Also don't forget, people do bring swaps and items for sale so a meet can be a great place to get some kit..

I you plan to attend then Paste and Copy the Whole Post and place name on bottom of list, adding also if you require the Group Meal, and if you would like to stay the Friday

List of Attending
2. SJStuart - Group Meal - 2 nights (baring some terrible "act of God" or the apocalypse!

Scopey

Forager
Apr 26, 2012
Brandon,Suffolk
Wait what now? You can get the GoRuck in the UK? PLEASE link me to where! I've been coverting a GR2 for quite some time (and as you may have noticed, I'm something of a "pack rat")

The kit still has to come from the states I'm afraid mate, I'm doing the challenge in London , they did one last September , there is also one coming up in Edinburgh,Cardiff and Dublin I believe and another in London in September.
I have been tempted by the GR1 but instead have the TAD litespeed in that sort of size and a Mystery Ranch 3DAP on way to try out...:)

SJStuart

Settler
Jan 22, 2013
Suffolk Coast
Alright, guys... most of my gear is dry from cleaning and ready to repack, so I'm getting ready to set off to the woods for tonight.

Enjoy your night in BCP, Scopey! I'd love to join you but I'm not riding out to Brandon in this weather unless I have no choice ;)

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
2 Nighter at Orchards for the 5th and 6th April 2013, conformation from Orchards. I thought it might be nice to get there on Friday night again as there will be more light as the clocks go forward - I am going straight from work, but arrival after midday is good.

The charge is £5 pppn.
There is wood that can be brought on site £7 per barrow - (cost divided amongst whole group).

There will be a Saturday Group Meal, Last time was a Beef Stew and Dumplings, cost of last time came to £3.00 each. (will try to keep to the same sort of cost...but that's down to how much it cost from the Supermarket....) - of course you can cater yourself if you require.

Of course Photo's and the Micky being taken is compulsory :p....

I have asked about the Archery, but Alan has said that there will be some other campers on site that weekend, so it is a no go there, how ever we can use a canoe on the river if anyone would like to bring one to go for a paddle.

List of Attending
2. SJStuart - Group Meal - 2 nights (baring some terrible "act of God" or the apocalypse!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE