Stripping Paint off Metal

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Got a cheapy axe today from my DIY store, picking up woodcarving things and spotted it nestling on a shelf. Seems pretty decent for £10.50 price label...though havent really cut anything yet.

Anyway, came with a horrible plasticy laquer and orange paint. Well all thats off the handle now, waiting for some oil, but...how do i best get the paint off the axe bit? I noticed it came off with my coarse paper, but that scarred the metal up awful...

I know there are the chemical strippers, but is there anything easier? and more importantly cheaper?

oh and most importantly, isn't gonna make my head all fume-y and falling over-y.

:D

pwb

I've used caustic soda ,as used for clearing drains, to strip paint off various things before ,never an axe though.
Found it works better than Nitromors on some paints too, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Make sure you have heavy rubber gloves and maybe eye protection :eek: , nasty stuff.

Pete.

Last edited:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I don't know much about the effect of paint strippers on metal but I'm sure some fine grade sand paper would strip the paint off then you could use some fine wire wool to polish it up.

you can scrape it of with a sharp blade then finish with sand paper in finer grades

got my £2.99 argos axe clean :D

Argos1.jpg

ATB

Duncan

kevm65

Jan 26, 2010
Germany
I agree with Landyandy, i would use a heat gun too, its cleaner and faster and there should be no need to sand it afterwards.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Got a cheapy axe today from my DIY store, picking up woodcarving things and spotted it nestling on a shelf. Seems pretty decent for £10.50 price label...though havent really cut anything yet.

Anyway, came with a horrible plasticy laquer and orange paint. Well all thats off the handle now, waiting for some oil, but...how do i best get the paint off the axe bit? I noticed it came off with my coarse paper, but that scarred the metal up awful...

I know there are the chemical strippers, but is there anything easier? and more importantly cheaper?

oh and most importantly, isn't gonna make my head all fume-y and falling over-y.

:D

PM inbound. I've got plenty of 1000 grit, I can send you some for free if you're interested. It doesn't take long at all and will clean up what the rough grit did!

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
you can scrape it of with a sharp blade then finish with sand paper in finer grades

got my £2.99 argos axe clean :D

Argos1.jpg

ATB

Duncan

nice!!! thats what mines slowly progressing towards. With sasquatches generous offer; a tin of Linseed Oil, and a home-made axe sharpener :D :240:

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
Got it down to this stage now:

s7000156medium.jpg

Needs a final polish with sasquatches paper (got here today!! :D) but pretty much done.

2 last questions:

1. How you get the paint off the bottom of the bit, around the handle? (too fiddly!!)
2. Been going at it for a good while now with a put together sharpening kit...the results are minimal :( so how is best to sharpen an axe with wet'n'dry?! i've seen british reds tutorial, but his advice doesnt seem to be helping me :S

thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE