Strike anywere matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I was wondering if there would be ant problems with the UK post, but none at all.
Everything was declared on the shipping lable, and no extra charges for VAT or import.
Makes for one happy bunny :)

If there is going to be a group buy, I will definatly be in for some more.

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Chopper said:
I was wondering if there would be ant problems with the UK post, but none at all.
Everything was declared on the shipping lable, and no extra charges for VAT or import.
Makes for one happy bunny :)

If there is going to be a group buy, I will definatly be in for some more.

Not wanting to be negative but unless I've mis-read this
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...yType=document&resetCT=true&id=HMCE_CL_001454

VAT is due on anything with a value over £18 (the good only, this doesn't include the postage costs) - it's just luck if a package with a declared value over this amount doesn't attract the attention of UK Customs.

Quite a few people in the Clikstand group got stung. I have also been stung before when buying goods from the US.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Schwert said:
Yup, the Penley's are made in Chile and are good.....over here I get them in the grocery for $0.99 a box. Glad they would ship them over.

Randy, I just saw Penley's in a store around here but they were strike on the box. :(

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Wayne said:
I wouldn't mind some of these myself.

I was under the impression that they were banned in the UK. Royal Mail may object to them being posted too.

Best Check before placing a large order.
I remember reading something too, the composition of UK matches was changed to make them less unstable. I do remember reading restrictions about these matches, but don't think there was ban.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Hoodoo, I have seen small Penleys that were strike on the box but not the Kitchen size ones yet. Overall, I think the Penleys seem to have a bit better QC than Diamonds. I have no complaints about these matches.

As to the group buy.....

We are not allowed to ship matches via US mail. HazMat regulations are pretty restrictive for mailing so if you do some sort of group buy watch carefully for any additional charges that may apply to a large quantity.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hi folks,

Apologies a tad busy at work but thought I'd give you a quick update.

I've had response from River Junction and unfortunately they cannot offer a discount on a 'bulk' purchase. However, as I'm sure some of you will agree, a couple of boxes won't exactly break the bank so I am willing to go ahead and arrange a small group buy (with possibly more to follow).

Before I post any details I am just awaiting further clarification re. Schwert's post regarding US Hazmat regs (thanks for the heads up by the way Schwert - much obliged) and have emailed River Junction again regarding any additional costs which may occur by having to ship a large(r) quantity of boxes to the UK.

Again I'll keep you posted once I have confirmation.

Thanks for your patience guys.

scruff

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
It isn't just US HazMat you need to be concerned about -

Royal Mail Group plc will not accept a letter that contains any of the following:

* Aerosols, except inhalers with a volume of 50ml or less
* Alcoholic liquids with alcohol content higher than 70%
* Asbestos
* Batteries that are classed as dangerous goods by the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions
* Butane lighters and refills
* Clinical and medical waste
* Flammable, non-flammable, toxic compressed gases
* Corrosives
* Counterfeit money or counterfeit postage stamps
* Drugs of any description, unless approved (see below)
* Dry ice
* Environmental waste
* Explosives
* Filth
* Flammable liquids or solids
* Lottery tickets excepts for United Kingdom lottery tickets
* Indecent, obscene or offensive material
* UN2814 OR un290 Infectious substances as classified at 6.2 of the 2005-2006 edition Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air, published by ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organisation).
* Magnetised material with a magnetic field strength of 0.159A/m or more at a distance of 2.1m from the outside of the package
* Matches
* Oxidising materials or organic peroxides
* Pesticides
* Toxic liquids, solids or gases
* Poisons
* All radioactive material and samples that are classified as radioactive using Table 2-12 of the latest edition of the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions
* Weapons of war, except as permitted by part exclusions below.
* Ammunition
* Solvent-based paints, varnishes and enamels
* Water-based paints, varnishes and enamels with volume over 150ml
* Any other item prohibited by law or that in the opinion of Royal Mail may be harmful or dangerous to Royal Mail employees

Source - Royal Maul site.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Hmmm....

....this does of course beg the question of how Chopper got his?

Particularly in light of this:

"Some things we can't deliver

Parcelforce Worldwide complies with strict transport regulations. We will not carry certain goods and substances. Please check our guidelines on prohibited goods before you arrange despatch.

To comply with strict regulations Parcelforce Worldwide does not carry any substances classified as dangerous in the latest edition of the Civil Aviation Organisation's Technical Instructions.

There are nine hazard classes which cover these and the examples quoted below must not be taken as full lists of all dangerous goods. We will not accept other materials and products that may be hazardous to our handling staff.

Dangerous goods are defined as those goods which meet the criteria of one or more of the nine UN hazard classes. These classes relate to the type of hazard and are detailed below. All dangerous goods are prohibited.

Class Four: Flammable Solids Definition: Solid materials which are liable to cause fire by friction, absorption of water, spontaneous chemical changes, or retained heat from manufacturing or processing, or which can be readily ignited and burn vigorously. Examples: Matches (any type inc. safety); Calcium Carbide; Cellulose Nitrate products; Metallic Magnesium; Nitro-cellulose based film; Phosphorous; Potassium; Sodium; Sodium Hydride; Zinc Powder; Zirconium Hydride, etc. "

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?mediaId=2600031&catId=2500038

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
:rolleyes:

I dare say that there's at least half a dozen of those items that do actually travel through Royal Mail day in day out.

But dem's d rules!

Will wait for response from River Junction. Their postal means may use other carriers.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
scruff said:
Hmmm....

....this does of course beg the question of how Chopper got his?

Particularly in light of this:

"Some things we can't deliver

Parcelforce Worldwide complies with strict transport regulations. We will not carry certain goods and substances. Please check our guidelines on prohibited goods before you arrange despatch.

To comply with strict regulations Parcelforce Worldwide does not carry any substances classified as dangerous in the latest edition of the Civil Aviation Organisation's Technical Instructions.

There are nine hazard classes which cover these and the examples quoted below must not be taken as full lists of all dangerous goods. We will not accept other materials and products that may be hazardous to our handling staff.

Dangerous goods are defined as those goods which meet the criteria of one or more of the nine UN hazard classes. These classes relate to the type of hazard and are detailed below. All dangerous goods are prohibited.

Class Four: Flammable Solids Definition: Solid materials which are liable to cause fire by friction, absorption of water, spontaneous chemical changes, or retained heat from manufacturing or processing, or which can be readily ignited and burn vigorously. Examples: Matches (any type inc. safety); Calcium Carbide; Cellulose Nitrate products; Metallic Magnesium; Nitro-cellulose based film; Phosphorous; Potassium; Sodium; Sodium Hydride; Zinc Powder; Zirconium Hydride, etc. "

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/content1?mediaId=2600031&catId=2500038
Solid materials that are liable to cause fire by friction!!!???
Hope no royal mail jobsworth comes to a meet or does a course and realises how many things can cause fire by friction!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE